Recipe Pizza dough made using a bread machine.

JamesStrange

Local time
11:01 PM
Website
jamesstrange.com
BM Pizza Dough 5.jpg

BM Pizza Dough 7.jpg

BM Pizza Dough 8.jpg

Ingredients​

Dough​

• 300 grams Water 1 1/4 Cups
  • 5 grams Sugar 1 teaspoon
  • 5 grams Salt 3/4 teaspoon / fine sea salt
  • 35 Milliliters Olive oil 2 Tablespoons
  • 500 grams Bread flour 4 Cups
  • 3 grams Active dry yeast 1 teaspoon

Toppings​

• 1/2 Cup Marinara Sauce
  • 1 Roma Tomato
  • 2 oz Mushrooms
  • 7 oz Cheese Optional / Leave off for vegan
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons Olive oil Optional (makes the crust crunchy)
  • 1/8 teaspoon Granulated garlic

Other​

• 2 Tablespoons Flour For dusting

Instructions​

Make the dough​

• Add all of the dough ingredients to your bread machine in the order listed.
  • Set your bread machine to the dough setting, and if it has a loaf size, set it to 2 pounds and turn it on.
  • After the bread machine starts to knead the dough, confirm that the corners do not have dry flour. If needed, pause the machine and scrape the dry flour into the dough ball.
  • After the machine has completed the dough cycle, remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 balls.
  • Gently press the dough balls into 2 round 10 to 12-inch pizza crust. Pinch together any tears in the dough.

Preheat the oven​

• Place your pizza stone or steel plate in the oven.
  • Preheat your oven to 550F or 287C

Prepare the toppings​

• Cut up the veggies you want to use; thin cuts are better.
  • Precook larger or hard veggies and or meats.

Pizza toppings​

• Add your pizza toppings. I add the sauce first, then cheese then I add my other toppings.
  • Let the dough rise for 5 to 15 minutes

Cook​

• Place your pizza on the preheat stone or steel and cook until the desired doneness. In my oven, it takes 7 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
  • Cut and serve

Recipe on my blog

Looks super and good photos. So, basically you are using the machine to do the kneading? I was interested to note that you didn't rise (prove) the dough before dividing and rolling out. You roll out, add toppings and the let it rise.

I'm curious to know if any other members do this. The result certainly looks good!

P.S. I added the 'Recipe' prefix.

I was interested to note that you didn't rise (prove) the dough before dividing and rolling out. You roll out, add toppings and the let it rise.

I'm curious to know if any other members do this. The result certainly looks good!
Its a long time since I've had a bread machine, but if I remember correctly the dough programme usually includes the first prove. I might be wrong though.

I usually mix, knead and do a 24+ hour first prove in the fridge. After that I ball up the dough and prove at room temperature for 5-6 hours, before stretching, topping and cooking.

It looks like a nice airy crust - especially when using bread flour :D My only suggestion would be to try using 00 flour instead of bread flour. I've used bread flour for pizzas for years but I recently changed to 00 and I'm amazed how much easier the dough is to work with (tastes good too!). I also use a 60% hydration recipe for pizza dough - it seems to me to be a good balance between workability and taste/texture.

We're having pizza tomorrow night.....if I remember I'll try and get some pictures.

Looks super and good photos. So, basically you are using the machine to do the kneading? I was interested to note that you didn't rise (prove) the dough before dividing and rolling out. You roll out, add toppings and the let it rise.

P.S. I added the 'Recipe' prefix.
The bread machine dough cycle does the first proof in a nice warm environment.

Its a long time since I've had a bread machine, but if I remember correctly the dough programme usually includes the first prove. I might be wrong though.

I usually mix, knead and do a 24+ hour first prove in the fridge. After that I ball up the dough and prove at room temperature for 5-6 hours, before stretching, topping and cooking.

It looks like a nice airy crust - especially when using bread flour :D My only suggestion would be to try using 00 flour instead of bread flour. I've used bread flour for pizzas for years but I recently changed to 00 and I'm amazed how much easier the dough is to work with (tastes good too!). I also use a 60% hydration recipe for pizza dough - it seems to me to be a good balance between workability and taste/texture.

We're having pizza tomorrow night.....if I remember I'll try and get some pictures.
My next batch will be with 00. That will be my first time using 00. It was bought a while back but for the blog post, I wanted to go with what I always used and what most people will have. After trying with 00 then I will edit the blog talking about the difference.

My next batch will be with 00. That will be my first time using 00. It was bought a while back but for the blog post, I wanted to go with what I always used and what most people will have. After trying with 00 then I will edit the blog talking about the difference.
Great plan! I was really surprised at the difference it made, can't wait to hear your thoughts too. For example, with bread flour I always had to use a rolling pin...I could never understand why my dough would never just stretch out like you see in all those pizza-making videos. But since I've started using 00 flour I've not needed to use the rolling pin once :okay:

Another UK/US difference in terms. You Brits say "prove," and we say "proof." The process is called "proofing." Not sure how that came to pass. Not sure how most of those differences came to pass.

CD

Another UK/US difference in terms. You Brits say "prove," and we say "proof." The process is called "proofing." Not sure how that came to pass. Not sure how most of those differences came to pass.

CD
Like this:

Circa 1900
Mike (US Dept Of Obsfucation): Ok, we're about to mass produce these new motorized coaches in the next few years, and we've got big plans to sell them here and in your country!

Nigel (UK Ministry Of Deliberately Confusing English/American Terms): Righto! We've got to get some terms sorted then!

Mike: Ok, this big storage area in the back...we'd put suitcases and trunks there, so we'll call that...a trunk.

Nigel: Indeed! What's something that we'd put back there that's not a trunk or box of some sort...packages? We can't very well call it packages...steady on, I've got it! We'd put our muddy boots back there! We'll call it a boot!"

Mike: Sounds good, Nige. Now, next on the list is what we're calling it when bread dough rises...

I use 00 and a bread making machine. The gluten from 00 durum wheat tends to be strong but not very elastic so you can pin or pull it without as much shrink back.

View attachment 59517

Made another one yesterday, fermented in the fridge for 24 hours and topped with marinara sauce, pesto, mozzarella, fresh buffalo mozzarella, and olive oil.

Looks delicious. Which flour did you use? I made my last pizza by using mainly durum wheat flour and a bit of 00 flour, then put in the fridge for about 8-9 hrs. It turned out crunchy and soft at same time

When we had "our house" we made lots of pizza. Pretty much a usual deluxe but with some differences.

At first I used those mixes, Robin Hood which I think had yeast in it, the new ones all seem to have baking soda and powder and quite frankly I don't particularly like those.

Then I learned how to just make it without the mix.

Then the olman's buddy bought him a bread maker. Tried that and we were hooked. It was really just as good and less trouble and whatever it was a hit.

I still have that breadmaker, and the recipe book. I think there may also be a video tape.

I don't really use it anymore because making full blown pizza is not common now. There are reasons.

First of all there are three of us and we might get by wanting three kinds of pizza. We have downgraded I guess and now usually use those premade ones. They are too crispy on the edges but I can deal with that.

But the machine is the best choice once you get it all figured out, which means if you want it a little different doing that. That means whatever you want in that dough, more olive oil will make it easier to press out.

(never stretch the dough, PRESS it into the pan)

We also made some bread, different but good. (go figure)

T

Back
Top Bottom