Pizza dough

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
12:06 AM
Pizza Dough ... How simple can it be?

Pizza Dough produces one of the most simple and basic Flat Breads.

Basic ingredients ... Unbleached Flour, Active Dry Yeast, Water, Sugar, Oil and recommended (if desired), Sea or Kosher Salt.

As with any Active Yeast Bread, the Water should be about 110 to 115F to allow the Yeast to procreate and do its thing.

TastyReuben gives this basic recipe here. The basic recipe can be found repeated in Pizza Dough recipes all over the web.

Pizza Dough gets more complicated when diversions are made to this basic ingredient list. And those diversions are by preference to achieve desired results which go beyond the basics.

There are two basic kinds of Pizza Dough, Thin Crust and Thick Crust. Thin or Cracker Crust may forgo using Yeast. Thick Crust may not.

I started to make my own pizza four years ago with low experience with doughs in general. From all the pizzas I've made maybe one or two were perfect, some were barely edible. Right now I'm working without recipes, because I want to learn how a good dough has to feel in my own hands. Stay healthy

My first alteration to a standard Pizza Dough would be to include puree of Garlic.

Has anybody ever tried this before?

Stupid question number 2234 ...

Is there a difference between a regular Flat Bread Pizza and a Pizza Pie?

No, I don't believe a Pizza Pie refers to a deep dish Pizza.

My first alteration to a standard Pizza Dough would be to include puree of Garlic.

Too much fresh garlic can inhibit growth and/or kill yeast. You can use a small amount or you can use dried garlic or cooked garlic, i.e. roasted, cooked in oil and cooled before use.

I haven't used it in pizza dough, usually use garlic oil brushed on or cooked garlic on the pizza.

Depends on how thick you like your crust. Flat bread pizza is generally a bit thicker than regular crust pizza, and a bit softer, not as chewy, in texture as well in my experience.

I don't think so - I think the word "pie" was/is used just because it's round, like a pie, and may also be a regional thing.

Now, do you remember back in the 1980's, when Pizza Hut sold the priazzo? That was a true pie, in that it was a bottom crust, topped with various toppings, sauce, and cheese, then another crust on top, dressed with sauce and cheese...basically, their version of stuffed pizza.

Too much fresh garlic can inhibit growth and/or kill yeast. You can use a small amount or you can use dried garlic or cooked garlic, i.e. roasted, cooked in oil and cooled before use.

I haven't used it in pizza dough, usually use garlic oil brushed on or cooked garlic on the pizza.

I was going to say the same. The easiest way to get garlic flavour is to brush the cooked dough with garlic butter/oil. Having said that adding garlic powder to the dough might be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom