Pizza Dough

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:31 AM
I made some pizza dough in the bread maker last week, sufficient for 2 x 12" pizzas according to the recipe. I only wanted 10" pizzas so I divided the dough into three (roughly), froze two thirds in oiled plastic bags and cooked a pizza with the other third.

Today I took another third from the freezer, allowed it to defrost naturally, and it appeared to increase in size by about 50%. I'm not complaining but is this normal? The original quantity went through the proving/rising process in the bread maker (so the manual assures me).

I made some pizza dough in the bread maker last week, sufficient for 2 x 12" pizzas according to the recipe. I only wanted 10" pizzas so I divided the dough into three (roughly), froze two thirds in oiled plastic bags and cooked a pizza with the other third.

Today I took another third from the freezer, allowed it to defrost naturally, and it appeared to increase in size by about 50%. I'm not complaining but is this normal? The original quantity went through the proving/rising process in the bread maker (so the manual assures me).

It must be because the bread maker did not rise it fully. Next time you make some dough in the bread maker, leave one third out at room at temperature (covered in a bowl) for a few hours to see if it rises further.

Yes, if it is a yeast dough. The only thing that second rising did was make the dough a bit better.
Frozen bread dough does the same thing. When you shaped it into a ball, you knocked all the air out of it.
Yeast doughs can rise up to 4 times.
So very common and your machine did it's job properly.
As I type this, I am waiting on my machine to make dough and rise it once, so I can take it out, shape it and let it rise again. Then bake it.
Just punch it down, shape it and bake it.

It must be because the bread maker did not rise it fully. Next time you make some dough in the bread maker, leave one third out at room at temperature (covered in a bowl) for a few hours to see if it rises further.
This is not why. It has nothing to do with the machine. Handmade dough would do the same thing. I am assuming that Yorky touched the dough, in which case he knocked all the air out of it.
The dough doesn't know if it is for pizza, which doesn't need a second rising, or rolls or breads which do need a second rising.
You don't make bread do you?

Last edited:
This is not why. It has nothing to do with the machine. Handmade dough would do the same thing.
You don't make bread do you?

I do make bread. Frequently! :happy: And recently I made croissants. Yes the dough can rise twice. You knock it back etc. But if the dough was taken out of the machine at the point where it was supposed to be ready to bake (as the machine would be doing if it were bread) then I was thinking that it couldn't have risen as much as it could or should. My French style loaves:

IMGP1811.jpg

And some dark rye I made a while back:

DSCF2387.jpg

I do make bread. Frequently! :happy: And recently I made croissants. Yes the dough can rise twice. You knock it back etc. But if the dough was taken out of the machine at the point where it was supposed to be ready to bake (as the machine would be doing if it were bread) then I was thinking that it couldn't have risen as much as it could or should. My French style loaves:

View attachment 7393

And some dark rye I made a while back:

View attachment 7394
Ok, now I see what you were thinking. I was thinking it can double in size again and probably fairly easily with where Yorky is. First rise has nothing to do with second rise.
Note: I am assuming Yorky's kitchen is much hotter than your kitchen. Unless Yorky is on the coast, I am also guessing his elevation is higher than yours. Wait I know it is.
Both of those factors have more to do with a second rise than what his bread machine does.
As I recall, his first bread tried to come out of the machine because he didn't know to adjust the yeast for elevation. *I didn't either the first time I made bread in my machine. Now there is a note to remember to reduce the yeast by the machine.
So what your dough does and in what length of time, may not be what someone else's dough does.

Too many factors in bread making.

You don't use a bread machine do you?
The dough feature makes the dough then lets it rise once. Then you take it out of the machine and either shape it and let it rise again or in the case of pizza dough, shape and bake.
The machine has no clue what you will do with the dough.
The dough cycle is nothing more than a mixer and proofer. So no, when I pull my dough out in 30 minutes, it will not be ready to bake.
If I had run the bread cycle, it would be almost another two hours before the bread was done. It would have knocked down the dough, then let it rise again and then baked it.
Dough cycle is an hour and a half. Bread cycle for a 2 pound loaf if 3 hours 35 minutes.
Hubby doesn't like the hole in the bottom so I just use the dough cycle.

I wasn't comparing kitchen temperature/elevations although I know both factors can affect rising. I'm not comparing my bread rising with his. He is comparing his bread rising after being in the machine with his bread rising whilst defrosting in the kitchen. I'm assuming the conditions in his bread maker will also be affected by the ambient temperature and altitude. So we are comparing like with like.

I don't really know what bread machines do. Do they rise the dough, knock it back then rise it again before baking? If they knock it back, how? I have a bread machine and it just seems to have a paddle for dough mixing - nothing that could knock back dough. Yet it cooks bread from start to finish.

It isn't strictly necessary to knock bread back and rise it a second time. It just means you get a more even texture. I often make one rise bread.

You don't use a bread machine do you?
The dough feature makes the dough then lets it rise once. Then you take it out of the machine and either shape it and let it rise again or in the case of pizza dough, shape and bake.
The machine has no clue what you will do with the dough.
The dough cycle is nothing more than a mixer and proofer. So no, when I pull my dough out in 30 minutes, it will not be ready to bake.
If I had run the bread cycle, it would be almost another two hours before the bread was done. It would have knocked down the dough, then let it rise again and then baked it.
Dough cycle is an hour and a half. Bread cycle for a 2 pound loaf if 3 hours 35 minutes.
Hubby doesn't like the hole in the bottom so I just use the dough cycle.

I do sometimes use mine but my machine is different from yours as it does the whole process! You put the ingredients in and a few hours later a loaf comes out! I don't know which type @Yorky has.

That paddle will knock the dough back down.
And yes, it doesn't matter if the dough was made in a factory and frozen, by hand and frozen, by a bread machine and frozen or in a stand mixer and frozen. It will start to rise again after defrosting. They even sell frozen rolls and bread dough that you have to let thaw and rise before baking.

I do sometimes use mine but my machine is different from yours as it does the whole process! You put the ingredients in and a few hours later a loaf comes out! I don't know which type @Yorky has.
How is my bread machine different from yours?
Mine has 12 different functions. It can bake the bread. It even makes jams and jellies. Both yeast and quick breads. I choose to use menu function 9 which is the dough cycle. Hubby can't stand the hole the paddle leaves in the bread.
Mine is the Oster 2 pound bread maker. I would link but the link came out funky.

That paddle will knock the dough back down.
And yes, it doesn't matter if the dough was made in a factory and frozen, by hand and frozen, by a bread machine and frozen or in a stand mixer and frozen. It will start to rise again after defrosting. They even sell frozen rolls and bread dough that you have to let thaw and rise before baking.

I'm not clear what @Yorky was comparing now - had he risen the dough in the bread maker and then simply frozen the portions he didn't use? Was the dough removed after the machine had done one rise? Did he knock it back by hand? Will he understand what we are on about?

:laugh:

How is my bread machine different from yours?
Mine has 12 different functions. It can bake the bread. It even makes jams and jellies. Both yeast and quick breads. I choose to use menu function 9 which is the dough cycle. Hubby can't stand the hole the paddle leaves in the bread.
Mine is the Oster 2 pound bread maker. I would link but the link came out funky.

As I say above - I misunderstood. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom