Pizza Party for the Super Bowl

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
4:51 AM
I have agreed to host a super bowl party for my husband and his friends at our house. My husband wants me to make homemade pizza, chips and dips and lots of desserts. I've got the desserts all planned out, and I have great ideas for dips, but I need help with the homemade pizzas. What kind of topping should I include? A couple of different kinds? How many pizzas should I make for about 8 men? What pizza recipes do you have to share? What about the pizza sauce? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly apperciated! :)

I would be looking at making 1 each, unless you go for a thicker base. Toppings, ask you husband to ask his friends what they prefer and mix and match.

I always use a pasata which I have added to the night before. Basil, garlic, thyme and a touch of sugar get added in to the pasata the night before and the whole lot left in the fridge for the flavours to mingle

remember to include at least one plain cheese pizza. There will always be someone who does not like loads of toppings!

The amount depends on the type of pizza and obviously on how much his friends eat. I suggest you ask your husband, he will be able to help more than we will.

As for the toppings, make as many different ones as you can. One spicy one, one with chicken, maybe a tuna one?, one plain cheese one (maybe mix a couple of different cheeses) etc.

I have found that flour tortillas make excellent thin-crust pizzas. Here in the "states" they are easy to get at most supermarkets because of the Mexican population that has become so much a part of our nation. Spread some pizza sauce ( which can be purchased at the same supermarket or homemade), add cheese and other toppings of your choice, bake about 10 minutes, enjoy. It helps to have a pizza screen. Don't overlook pepperoni. I use a total of 5 or six cheeses and anchovies. Onions and back olives and mushrooms, as well as sliced tomato are also good.

I have found that flour tortillas make excellent thin-crust pizzas. Here in the "states" they are easy to get at most supermarkets because of the Mexican population that has become so much a part of our nation. Spread some pizza sauce ( which can be purchased at the same supermarket or homemade), add cheese and other toppings of your choice, bake about 10 minutes, enjoy. It helps to have a pizza screen. Don't overlook pepperoni. I use a total of 5 or six cheeses and anchovies. Onions and back olives and mushrooms, as well as sliced tomato are also good.

That actually sounds like a great idea. I'll have to give it a try one day, I'd love to make a pizza but the crust has always been something that I haven't enjoyed making and the premade ones taste like cardboard. Tortillas are also available in most of Europe nowadays, it's surprising how widespread mexican food is.

I love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing! This would be perfect for my party! I would be able to make personal pizzas using individual flour tortillas! Plus, I think this would be a great lower-calorie option! Even better, it would take less time to bake because I wouldn't have to wait for the "crust" to bake all the way through! And flour tortillas are very easy to find! I could even top it with homemade pizza sauce! Thanks again for your suggestion! :)

If you would rather not go through the trouble of making the dough, but still want that home made taste and appearance, check with your local pizza shops or Italian specialty grocers. They will often sell their raw dough in bags really cheap. I used to buy bags of fresh dough for only 99 cents each. Then, all you need to do is stretch the dough out onto greased baking sheets, lightly brush the tops with oil and cover loosely with plastic wrap, then let them rest in a reasonably warm spot so they can rise one more time before baking them.

Speaking of which, do you have enough pizza pans, baking sheets to make all the pizzas? If not, you'll either need to pick some up in advance or borrow some from friends. You may even want to plan out how many you are going to be baking at once, and when they will all be coming out of the oven.

For the toppings, I would definitely make sure you have at least one plain and one other vegetarian option, some white pizzas and some red pizzas with traditional toppings, then perhaps plan on one or two unconventional pizzas for something unique. Just as an example, I would do something like:

- Four Cheese Pizza
- Cheese Pizza With Red & Green Roasted Bell Peppers
- Pepperoni Pizza
- Sausage & Mushroom Pizza
- White Pizza With Hot Banana Peppers & Black Olives
- Spinach & Tomato White Pizza
- Some unconventional pizza of choice, maybe something like Taco sauce, chorizo, cheddar & monterey jack and jalepenos? Or a Philly Cheese Steak (or Chicken) pizza with sauteed onions and peppers, and provolone cheese?

If you are hand stretching dough for your crust put a handful of corn flour on your counter top or cutting board and coat your dough ball with it. Use your finger-tips to form a 1" edge for the crust and then use your hands to stretch the dough, being careful to not get any of it too thin.

Back
Top Bottom