Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plans today - someone from the home improvement center is coming out to measure for installation of a tile backsplash in the kitchen. Yay!

You can do that yourself. A tile backsplash is actually one of the easier home improvement projects. If you decide to do it yourself, and it goes wrong, I will be deleting this post.

CD

Just planning on a grocery run, and not a lot of items at that. MrsT wants yogurt. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can do that yourself. A tile backsplash is actually one of the easier home improvement projects. If you decide to do it yourself, and it goes wrong, I will be deleting this post.

CD
I've helped/observed a couple, and no thanks. Even my wife, biggest tightwad in the universe, told me, "You better get someone else to do that - I'm not standing here listening to you b!tch and moan for the six months it'll take you to do that." - she knows me well. :laugh:

There are a lot of things I probably can do, but I don't want to do, and DIY around the house tops the list. :headshake:

Got a pot on and doing some leek and potato soup with some crispy bacon for on top. Get that done and out the door, THEN since the sun is shining, going to try and get the toy car out for a spin, and in before the storm moves in. Calling for 5 inches of snow overnight and into tomorrow, so a great day tomorrow to lay around and watch 6 Nations Rugby.

I've helped/observed a couple, and no thanks. Even my wife, biggest tightwad in the universe, told me, "You better get someone else to do that - I'm not standing here listening to you b!tch and moan for the six months it'll take you to do that." - she knows me well. :laugh:

There are a lot of things I probably can do, but I don't want to do, and DIY around the house tops the list. :headshake:
Every time it's the same thing with my fiance.

If I say I'm gonna do something, I'll do it. You don't need to remind me every 6 months.

Every time it's the same thing with my fiance.

If I say I'm gonna do something, I'll do it. You don't need to remind me every 6 months.
I get that from my dad, I think. I can truthfully say, he is the smartest person I've ever known, in terms of practical knowledge. He doesn't just fix things, he builds his own tools to fix things, that sort of thing, but his problem is, unless it's life or death, he's slow as molasses to actually complete anything.

He and my older brothers built our house themselves in 1972. My parents still live there. We moved in as soon as it was dried in, and at that point, my dad slipped into low gear, and for the 13 years I lived there, I lived in a permanent construction site. :laugh:

I get that from my dad, I think. I can truthfully say, he is the smartest person I've ever known, in terms of practical knowledge. He doesn't just fix things, he builds his own tools to fix things, that sort of thing, but his problem is, unless it's life or death, he's slow as molasses to actually complete anything.

He and my older brothers built our house themselves in 1972. My parents still live there. We moved in as soon as it was dried in, and at that point, my dad slipped into low gear, and for the 13 years I lived there, I lived in a permanent construction site. :laugh:

Dad sounds like a great dude.

I'm the same in that process, but for me it's the enjoyment factor. If it's something I am jazzed about, I'm all in. If it's somehting more tedious, I tend to drag my heels knowing full well I'm only making it worse on myself. I guess it's the grown up equivalent of a childs version of rolling on the floor scream "BUT I DON'T WANNA!", not a good look for a grown man. . .also why I'm no longer welcome at the local Home Depot.

Menu planning up next, maybe a run to the grocery store (I just went yesterday, but I discovered I'm out of deodorant!), making some frosting for the cupcakes I made yesterday, and then pierogis and sausages tonight.

CD

It is normal here in Thailand to only tile up to eye level if tiling the walls (kitchen and bathrooms). I decided whilst the tilers were in, may as well tile floor to ceiling. I've not regretted it.

Kitchen (20 years ago):

056.jpg

One of the bathrooms (20 years ago). The other is virtually identical.

063.jpg

Dad sounds like a great dude.

I'm the same in that process, but for me it's the enjoyment factor. If it's something I am jazzed about, I'm all in. If it's somehting more tedious, I tend to drag my heels knowing full well I'm only making it worse on myself. I guess it's the grown up equivalent of a childs version of rolling on the floor scream "BUT I DON'T WANNA!", not a good look for a grown man. . .also why I'm no longer welcome at the local Home Depot.

My neighbors used to call me the "Neighborhood Home Depot," because of all the tools I have. I don't do anywhere near the kind of home improvement projects I used to do. The last big project I did was replacing a wooden privacy fence that fell down about four years ago. I used galvanized steel posts, all cedar wood, and stainless steel screws instead of nails. That fence ain't going anywhere for quite some time.

I have another section to do behind the garage, and have all the materials in my garage -- where they have been for over a year. Health issues keep getting in the way. There are a couple steps in that build that I just can not do.

CD

I always like getting my teeth scraped and cleaned up, in the same way I like a back scratch or a shoulder massage.

Anything else, though...I'm not crazy about.

I'm having my teeth cleaned in a couple of weeks, for me it's a ritual every 6-7 months.
Today was that 'anything else, though...I'm not crazy about' though.
It was necessary, so I said 'ok, do it now, there is no reason to postpone'. For me, teeth cure/control is fundamental, I look after them carefully as far as I can, leaving the rest to the dentist. But when she started I thought 'wtf I had in my head, nooo, I want to go home, leave me alone! Mom!!!' :laugh:
I was so tense today I thought I was going to electrocute the dentist. Yes, I'm a wimp. And I'm not ashamed to say that when I have my teeth cleaned, anaesthesia is compulsory for me :oops:

I've only had a yoghurt for lunch, I've just woken up from a long nap, the anaesthetic is wearing off now and the pain is starting to appear.

Today, besides work, I'm painting the back door and floor-to-ceiling window frame, getting ready for the blinds installer, who's scheduled to stop by 31 March to mount three blinds.

I ordered the blinds and the install from Lowe's (nationwide DIY chain), and after a week, the subcontracted installer called me to pick a date, assuming I'd gotten my blinds already (they were to be delivered directly to my house).

When I told him I didn't have them, he told me to wait another week, then call Lowe's and have them track it down, then call him back to schedule.

Waited a week, no blinds, called Lowe's:

"Wait a week, and if they're not there, call us back and we'll track them down."

Waited another week, still no blinds, called Lowe's again, and she did some tappity-tap on the computer, then told me, "These are currently being staged for shipping, with a shipping date of 17 March, and delivery date of 22 March. If they haven't arrived by then, call me back, but they haven't shipped yet. Everything's delayed because of Covid."

Blinds arrived later that afternoon. So much for computer tracking. :laugh:

Today, besides work, I'm painting the back door and floor-to-ceiling window frame, getting ready for the blinds installer, who's scheduled to stop by 31 March to mount three blinds.

I ordered the blinds and the install from Lowe's (nationwide DIY chain), and after a week, the subcontracted installer called me to pick a date, assuming I'd gotten my blinds already (they were to be delivered directly to my house).

When I told him I didn't have them, he told me to wait another week, then call Lowe's and have them track it down, then call him back to schedule.

Waited a week, no blinds, called Lowe's:

"Wait a week, and if they're not there, call us back and we'll track them down."

Waited another week, still no blinds, called Lowe's again, and she did some tappity-tap on the computer, then told me, "These are currently being staged for shipping, with a shipping date of 17 March, and delivery date of 22 March. If they haven't arrived by then, call me back, but they haven't shipped yet. Everything's delayed because of Covid."

Blinds arrived later that afternoon. So much for computer tracking. :laugh:

To be fair, Covid really has messed up the supply chain. Remember, it took me three months to get a refrigerator. The computer tracking didn't help, because the supply chain was so broken.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom