Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the deviled eggs are done. I had to hide them from the wife.

Bread is on its second rise. All that's left for today is to make some German potato salad, mow the grass (in this heat and humidity!) and touch up the house-cleaning.

I told MrsTasty that supper is her responsibility, which means some kind of fast food, but that's ok.

Tomorrow, it'll be up early to make a quick breakfast for ourselves, then I'll make the rest of the meal...bacon for BLTs, cornbread, and apple crisp/crumble - all pretty easy to do.
Are you going to keep us in suspense? How did everything go? Any new brother stories?

Or am I confused? Is the dinner tonight?

Last edited:
Are you going to keep us in suspense? How did everything go? Any new brother stories?
It went fairly well, thanks for asking!

The meal was very well-received, and the SIL minded her manners, for the most part. She did say the cornbread was dry, but she's used to that light-as-cake fluffy cornbread that restaurants serve. I make a cornbread that's purposely a little drier, because it's meant to be crumbled into milk or into soup, so when she offered, without prompting, mind you, that the cornbread was dry, the rest of us looked at her like she was crazy, then politely informed her that, you know, you're supposed to put that in your soup.

She also got into a little snit for about 30 minutes when my brother was telling a story about my dad in which my dad had insulted a young, rather heavyset girl ("Lord, look at you, you're big as a mule!").

Now, in defense of my dad, he's got some mild-to-middlin' dementia, and what little filter he ever had is gone.

Anyway, he was telling the story, and when he got to that part, she said if she'd had been there, she'd have told him off, and I said, just making light, that he's an old man (in his 80's), and when a person reaches that age, they ought to be able to say whatever they want, because the rest of their life is probably pretty crappy.

She didn't agree, and then Lee said he did agree, and that pissed her off, and she's the type who has to have everyone agree with her obviously superior opinion, so she kept hammering away at it, taking it far more seriously than it warranted, and refused to talk to anyone for a while, but she got over it eventually.

As far as Lee, tame by his usual standards, but he did go missing for a bit, and I found him at the neighbor's, chatting up one of the women there. He's not a playboy or a womanizer, but he absolutely adores women, and he can't help talking to them and being extra friendly with any women in the area. The funny part is, he doesn't know my neighbors - he'd gone outside to stretch his legs a bit, looked across the road and saw a couple of women in the driveway and went over for a chat.

I had to go fetch him, and of course, later my neighbor told me what a wonderful brother I had and they just thought he was so funny and yada yada blah blah blah.

As far as Lee, tame by his usual standards, but he did go missing for a bit, and I found him at the neighbor's, chatting up one of the women there. He's not a playboy or a womanizer, but he absolutely adores women, and he can't help talking to them and being extra friendly with any women in the area. The funny part is, he doesn't know my neighbors - he'd gone outside to stretch his legs a bit, looked across the road and saw a couple of women in the driveway and went over for a chat.

:laugh:

The meal was very well-received, and the SIL minded her manners, for the most part. She did say the cornbread was dry, but she's used to that light-as-cake fluffy cornbread that restaurants serve. I make a cornbread that's purposely a little drier, because it's meant to be crumbled into milk or into soup, so when she offered, without prompting, mind you, that the cornbread was dry, the rest of us looked at her like she was crazy, then politely informed her that, you know, you're supposed to put that in your soup.

She also got into a little snit for about 30 minutes when my brother was telling a story about my dad in which my dad had insulted a young, rather heavyset girl ("Lord, look at you, you're big as a mule!").

Now, in defense of my dad, he's got some mild-to-middlin' dementia, and what little filter he ever had is gone.

Anyway, he was telling the story, and when he got to that part, she said if she'd had been there, she'd have told him off, and I said, just making light, that he's an old man (in his 80's), and when a person reaches that age, they ought to be able to say whatever they want, because the rest of their life is probably pretty crappy.

She didn't agree, and then Lee said he did agree, and that pissed her off, and she's the type who has to have everyone agree with her obviously superior opinion, so she kept hammering away at it, taking it far more seriously than it warranted, and refused to talk to anyone for a while, but she got over it eventually.

I had to go fetch him, and of course, later my neighbor told me what a wonderful brother I had and they just thought he was so funny and yada yada blah blah blah.
Thank you !!!!!

Boyo, I had a good time today. Being food-oriented, you'll all understand.

I found a new grocery store.

Got a flyer in the mail a couple of weeks ago, announcing the renovation of a grocery store about 35 minutes away, and it was one I'd never heard of. What?!

Today, I decided to check them out, and I loved it!

First, it's a nice little drive, mostly rural with just a bit of suburbs around the store.

Second, they carry a lot of stuff I can find only at specialty stores, or not at all. They also seemed to focus on a lot of Amish goods, especially in the meats, cheeses, pickles, and jams.

Last, the prices were great! The Amish apple butter I bought, I can get that at the farmer's market, but it's $6.99. Here...$2.99!

Produce and meat departments were a little on the small side, but plenty big enough for me, and everything looked good and clean and fresh.

They had a good international section, too. I got some German noodles and some German mustard.

And they even had pasteurized heavy cream, not just ultra-pasteurized. That's hard to find here, and that'll work for making creme fraiche, where the latter won't.

Good wine and beer sections as well.

And Wisconsin brick cheese, only one other place carries that, and trail bologna, and Twinings k-cup tea...$7.99 at Kroger, but only $4.99 here.

To top it all off, I got a BABOP (Big-A** Bag O' Popcorn), it's as big as my torso!

Oh, and in-store popped popcorn for 50¢ and free coffee.

Now I have three stores to work into my routine.

I need a shop like that. :)

Russ

Plans for today...let's see...I'm in the office, so that's crap right there...I have to go to the grocery to pick up ingredients for the next couple of days. The wife is leaving Friday and returning Monday, so I see a few pizzas in my future...I've got to water the landscaping, as it's now been over two weeks since the last rain, and temps daily in the high 80's-low 90's...and that's about all I can think of for now.

The last couple of weeks have been weird, because I haven't done my usual menu planning, I've just been thinking of things a day or two out. The lack of planning throws off my whole week.

Plans for today...let's see...I'm in the office, so that's crap right there...I have to go to the grocery to pick up ingredients for the next couple of days. The wife is leaving Friday and returning Monday, so I see a few pizzas in my future...I've got to water the landscaping, as it's now been over two weeks since the last rain, and temps daily in the high 80's-low 90's...and that's about all I can think of for now.

The last couple of weeks have been weird, because I haven't done my usual menu planning, I've just been thinking of things a day or two out. The lack of planning throws off my whole week.
How about adding "play the Cookbook Game" to your list? lol

Your bro seems a real hoot. I love talking period, I was recently at a bar and a woman at the bar ordered a birthday drink for her friend. I started chatting and laughing with them about star signs etc. we talked for 30 mins and ended up me and four women. It was funny as hell. I went back to the table I was sitting at with my wife and her friend. Her friend said where have you been, talking to other women. My wife just said he does it all the time. It's just him. Lol.
Lee sounds really funny to be around. Polar opposites with his wife??

Russ

We are on a one month Vacation with our trailer.
Stopped off in Anaheim Ca for an Oncology doctor and nurses function the wife wanted to attend.

Later today we’ll hook the trailer back up and head across the desert to Las Vegas to visit my Mother-in-law, Granny Axehandle.
An opinionated, hard headed Swiss German.
Easy to get a disagreement with so I’ll keep my trap shut.
“You don’t let the kids read Harry Potter do you?”
How do I work with that?

My plans for today? Well, I'm not suppose to post them here because they are food related. But.........my plans are to try and figure out how to get more people to play my Cookbook game. I sure could use some help with that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and if I have time, I will work on solving the World's problems. Prioritize, prioritize.

Last edited:
“You don’t let the kids read Harry Potter do you?”
How do I work with that?
Of course they do...how else are they gonna learn those spells?!" :laugh:

Today...I had to work from 6AM-8AM, then I made breakfast. Watched a little TV, then into town for some groceries.

When I got back home, I cleaned out (as in removed everything and cleaned) the fridge - it really needed it. The wife is out of town this weekend, at a conference in Detroit, and that's the best time to do that stuff; otherwise, she likes to supervise*.

Later, I've got to check in on the neighbor's dog. What started as, "Can you feed her at 6PM and then let her out at 9PM?" turned into, "She's been puking since yesterday, so can you give her this med at 5PM, feed her this special food at 6PM, then check on her at 7PM, 8:30PM, and 10PM and clean up any accidents?" - and of course they tell me that on their way out the door.

So that's my evening now. :meh:

*supervise - that's when my wife stands back and thoroughly tells me what I'm doing wrong, how to do it correctly, all without doing any actual work. :)

Last edited:
Of course they do...how else are they gonna learn those spells?!" :laugh:

Today...I had to work from 6AM-8AM, then I made breakfast. Watched a little TV, then into town for some groceries.

When I got back home, I cleaned out (as in removed everything and cleaned) the fridge - it really needed it. The wife is out of town this weekend, at a conference in Detroit, and that's the best time to do that stuff; otherwise, she likes to supervise*.

Later, I've got to check in on the neighbor's dog. What started as, "Can you feed her at 6PM and then let her out at 9PM?" turned into, "She's been puking since yesterday, so can you give her this med at 5PM, feed her this special food at 6PM, then check on her at 7PM, 8:30PM, and 10PM and clean up any accidents?" - and of course they tell me that on their way out the door.

So that's my evening now. :meh:

*supervise - that's when my wife stands back and thoroughly tells me what I'm doing wrong, how to do it correctly, all without doing any actual work. :)
Of course, that is what wives are for. I thought all men knew that.!!!!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom