Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the huge storm that hit Buffalo changed my plans to make dinner for Picky Eater. Many closed or otherwise impassable roads. I'll have to try again in a couple weeks when we're back from our respective Thanksgiving trips (she to Florida, me to Montana).

Well, the huge storm that hit Buffalo changed my plans to make dinner for Picky Eater. Many closed or otherwise impassable roads. I'll have to try again in a couple weeks when we're back from our respective Thanksgiving trips (she to Florida, me to Montana).

Well as they say 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'. I hope it does!

I’m somewhat snow-obsessed, so how much did you get?

Making a pumpkin pie today for Thanksgiving.

Hoping for an easy time of it this week at work. History tells us it’ll either be dead quiet or insanely busy, no in-between.

Plans for tomorrow, include the usual drive to and from physio (an hour each way), to buy some calcigrit or shell grit for the chooks, then cooking evening meal (cauliflower, dill and pea soup) and if it is warm enough, some gardening along with cleaning out the gutters. We're due 3 or 4 days of reasonable weather before the next rain.

Plus the poorly chook needs to be convinced to eat, though she is drinking freely and by herself which is really good news.

After that (the garden will take many days), I've got the fruit trees to get netted over and there might be some ripe strawberries. Plus planting the flowers in the flower borders, weeding and some seeds to be sewn after I dig and fertilize a new area of the veg plot...

Oh and I've 3 chook houses to clean out (the 2 main ones which are big jobs and the easier small one which I hope to get the new chooks out of by the weekend. Lots to do in the garden!

Plans for tomorrow, include the usual drive to and from physio (an hour each way), to buy some calcigrit or shell grit for the chooks, then cooking evening meal (cauliflower, dill and pea soup) and if it is warm enough, some gardening along with cleaning out the gutters. We're due 3 or 4 days of reasonable weather before the next rain.

Plus the poorly chook needs to be convinced to eat, though she is drinking freely and by herself which is really good news.

After that (the garden will take many days), I've got the fruit trees to get netted over and there might be some ripe strawberries. Plus planting the flowers in the flower borders, weeding and some seeds to be sewn after I dig and fertilize a new area of the veg plot...

Oh and I've 3 chook houses to clean out (the 2 main ones which are big jobs and the easier small one which I hope to get the new chooks out of by the weekend. Lots to do in the garden!
My daughter wants to start raising them. You give me a sense of what she doesn't realize she's in for!

My daughter wants to start raising them. You give me a sense of what she doesn't realize she's in for!
This one is living in the house at the moment. She's got a respiratory illness and it's too cold outside for her, plus I have to isolate her from the flock.

I run with a deep mulch system (to deal with chook crap under their perches) which gets mucked out once a year in the big chook house and 3 or 4 times a year due to water issues in the smaller chook house. It's back breaking work they I have to pace myself with.

At the weekend, the entire flock was dusted (to prevent lice and mites). It has to be done after dark, so it stays inn them as long as possible. It also means old clothes, a full P3 dust mask and a shower immediately afterwards because you'll get covered in it. I should do it 3 or 4 times a year, but only do it when I see them over-preening or actually find lice inn them (only ever found them on birds coming into my flock, have all newbies get a biosecurity separation from the flock until dusted, wormed and 2 weeks have passed to definitely be clear of infection, 1 isn't but i think she got this from the wild birds in the garden). I get to work them all this weekend. Again it is meant to be done every 3 months but I don't. I've only seen worms once in 6 years. I probably do them once a year, but each bird has to be weighed and the correct number of tablets given by weight. Force feeding them tablets isn't easy, but easier when there are less. You can get stuff that goes in their drinking water, but some birds drink more than others and it is possible not all will get wormed, and the native wildlife drinks from their drinking water as well... you get the idea. Worming needs to be done very first thing in the morning, so early up. They can't be allowed to eat or drink supposedly for 24hrs before, we just do overnight which they are used to.

And they will destroy any lawn, veg plot, border, flowers, pots you have unless you restrict their access. My veg plot is fully enclosed and pots have wire over the top, plants just grow through. Borders all have a wire mesh ⅓m high around. They'll jump it is there is space, so you need a thriving border for a low barrier to work...

If that's not enough, they go broody on you where they get bitchy as hell and will draw blood from your hands where normally they are totally tame and only want to sit on eggs for 3 weeks until they hatch... We literally have 1 in the dog house (actually a dog cage on the veranda) with no nesting boxes or material and away from the flock, almost constantly from August through to March each year. There is one in there now on her 2nd visit so far this season...

I could go on... But they are wonderful friends as well, enormously funny at times and I love having them around. Gardening in Australia is also a lot safer with them around because they respond to snakes and hear and see them faster and better than humans, so they act as guard chooks in that sense. But it is heartbreaking each time you lose one. This one is touch and go currently. I don't know if she'll pull through. :(

This one is living in the house at the moment. She's got a respiratory illness and it's too cold outside for her, plus I have to isolate her from the flock.

I run with a deep mulch system (to deal with chook crap under their perches) which gets mucked out once a year in the big chook house and 3 or 4 times a year due to water issues in the smaller chook house. It's back breaking work they I have to pace myself with.

At the weekend, the entire flock was dusted (to prevent lice and mites). It has to be done after dark, so it stays inn them as long as possible. It also means old clothes, a full P3 dust mask and a shower immediately afterwards because you'll get covered in it. I should do it 3 or 4 times a year, but only do it when I see them over-preening or actually find lice inn them (only ever found them on birds coming into my flock, have all newbies get a biosecurity separation from the flock until dusted, wormed and 2 weeks have passed to definitely be clear of infection, 1 isn't but i think she got this from the wild birds in the garden). I get to work them all this weekend. Again it is meant to be done every 3 months but I don't. I've only seen worms once in 6 years. I probably do them once a year, but each bird has to be weighed and the correct number of tablets given by weight. Force feeding them tablets isn't easy, but easier when there are less. You can get stuff that goes in their drinking water, but some birds drink more than others and it is possible not all will get wormed, and the native wildlife drinks from their drinking water as well... you get the idea. Worming needs to be done very first thing in the morning, so early up. They can't be allowed to eat or drink supposedly for 24hrs before, we just do overnight which they are used to.

And they will destroy any lawn, veg plot, border, flowers, pots you have unless you restrict their access. My veg plot is fully enclosed and pots have wire over the top, plants just grow through. Borders all have a wire mesh ⅓m high around. They'll jump it is there is space, so you need a thriving border for a low barrier to work...

If that's not enough, they go broody on you where they get bitchy as hell and will draw blood from your hands where normally they are totally tame and only want to sit on eggs for 3 weeks until they hatch... We literally have 1 in the dog house (actually a dog cage on the veranda) with no nesting boxes or material and away from the flock, almost constantly from August through to March each year. There is one in there now on her 2nd visit so far this season...

I could go on... But they are wonderful friends as well, enormously funny at times and I love having them around. Gardening in Australia is also a lot safer with them around because they respond to snakes and hear and see them faster and better than humans, so they act as guard chooks in that sense. But it is heartbreaking each time you lose one. This one is touch and go currently. I don't know if she'll pull through. :(
Liz wants them to be free range like some of her neighbors'. Of course, she also wants to get a Great Pyr to guard them against predators (this area is heavy with cats and foxes). Ambitious girl, but that's why I love her.

I am flying to Houston today for Thanksgiving.

I dropped my car at the Audi dealership yesterday, so they have a whole week to identify its demons, and exorcize them. It still has completely random times when it won't start. Luckily, it happened yesterday on the service drive, in front of service advisors, so they at least know I'm not crazy. The technician (mechanic) who has been working on it will probably take the car home with him to see if he can replicate the problem.

CD

Liz wants them to be free range like some of her neighbors'. Of course, she also wants to get a Great Pyr to guard them against predators (this area is heavy with cats and foxes). Ambitious girl, but that's why I love her.
Mine are free range as well. You still need chook houses for them to sleep in and nest boxes for them to lay in. If they are out at night, nesting on the ground you'll basically be feeding the foxes you're entire flock. And it's not just foxes that take them depending on where you live. Anything that eats birds of any size will kill them. Chooks can sleep through rats & mice chewing their legs at night, so the chook house has to be kept rodent free, and very secure. It is worse in towns & villages than totally rurally because foxes are attracted to them and you have stray or escaped dogs to deal with. Even cats can kill the smaller chooks as well as birds of prey.

Mine are on an automated gate system that opens and closes at set times. I do have an massive enclosed area for them to be in safely when we're not about (which is unusual). It has a dedicated poultry electric fence enclosing their space (foxes don't like flexible netting especially stuff that zaps their underside). The electric fence is 100m long running off a solar powdered regenerator (battery charger & panel plus control panel), it encloses a considerable space 25m×25m (625m²). It's there if we are not around at dusk but normally we are. The chooks in theory have access to 800 hectares but being chooks only really use 1-2 hectares if that. I guess they use all of the space the house has 2,500m² and then the 2 fields at the back which are roughly 4 or 5 times that space, plus they stray down the track, but never as far as the road.

But as I said, free range doesn't mean no secure sleeping quarters, or mucking out the mulch under their roost, cleaning out the next boxes, worming and dusting the chooks.

I'm doing a curb-side pick up of groceries for my Mother.
I have her credit card number, so that I can order online.
She has no clue how to do this and HATES to grocery shop, mostly because of her lack of mobility (that she refuses to acknowledge :stop:).
I'll take her that, as well as 7 of my homemade dishes that are frozen, and 1 ready to eat dinner for tomorrow (see this post).
I'll put away all of her things and causally look through her cupboards to make sure she has what she really needs.
She tends to over look alot, so this gives me the opportunity to be noisy, and we can visit for a while.
Mom doesn't cook really, mostly microwaves.
But I know she's not getting enough fruits and veg, so I have some of that for her too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom