Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plans for today are remain in the garden for as much of the day as I can. At 8am this morning it was already 18°C, though curiously it is now almost 9am and only 17°C. But out is cloudy which means working in the garden will be easier. I need to construct the frame for the huge apple tree to be netted over. I did the pear tree on Friday. Then the lawn needs cutting and the borders and veg plot need weeding. The chooks will of course be helping me out.

My plans have been fulfilled. Cook turkey and patty shells (puff pastry shells with a creamy mix with turkey, peas and carrots) for my mom, sister and I to have of lunch. Move some furniture from my mom's apartment to my dad's room in the memory care area of the building, and take my mom over to see my dad.

Tonight, sister and I are going out for Mexican food... again. My sister eats out about three times a week, usually Mexican. I've gained five pounds down here this week, so it's no wonder she's 100 pounds overweight. She eats out, or heats frozen entrees in the microwave. They are diet brands, but still highly processed, so not as healthy as cooked-from-scratch food.

I need to get my sister some kitchen stuff to bring down at Christmas, so I can cook with decent tools. She has good knives, because I bought them. She rarely cooks, so she doesn't need good stuff.

CD

Despite the lack of expected guests, yesterday turned out to be much fun. The two that did come were a couple we didn't know that well yet, and I think we've got new friends. So that went well. We just still have about 3/4d of the food left, so I guess we're eating a lot of tapas this week. The mini quiches (75) didn't even get served!

Despite the lack of expected guests, yesterday turned out to be much fun. The two that did come were a couple we didn't know that well yet, and I think we've got new friends. So that went well. We just still have about 3/4d of the food left, so I guess we're eating a lot of tapas this week. The mini quiches (75) didn't even get served!

Well, if you had fun, and made new friends, I'd call it a good day.

My philosophy is to enjoy the good days, and try to let the bad days, in your case, related to your health issues be less important. That got me through cancer with high spirits. There are a lot of things you can't choose, but you can choose your friends, and your way of seeing what life deals you.

CD

• All 3 chook houses need cleaning out and new mulch put in.
  • All nest boxes need cleaning out, refilling and dusting down
  • The electric fence area needs trimming back.
  • The electric fence itself needs checking over because the sheep are in the field. I have to do this 3 or 4 times a day when they are in that field.
  • The gutters need doing now it is no longer too windy to climb a ladder alone
  • The 2 fruit trees need their new netting frames making, installing and netting added
  • The veg plot needs weeding. My straw bale hadn't had the wheat harvested from it so it has germinated everywhere I put the straw, so across most of the veg plot. I didn't spot it at the time else I wouldn't have put the straw down around the strawberries.
  • I need to sew some herbs, lettuce and a few other 2nd crop stuff.
  • The potatoes need earthing up again
  • The flower borders need weeding (they've got something called kangaroo grass growing in them) amongst many other weeds. :rolleyes:
  • Then they need planting up and netting off because my chooks will just dig them up.
  • The stuff is growing in pots so will need watering before I plant them out.
  • The edges of the lawn need trimming back (kangaroo grass is almost 2m high in places)
  • And by the time I've done all that, the lawn will need cutting again...

I made some good inroads into my list of things to do. Netting in the trees took a long time. It is slow work and hard to do in full sun as well, but both main fruit trees are now netted in. I had to buy more 1½ inch piping on Thursday when i went the local rural supplies store. I needed 30m but because I wasn't sure on exactly how I was going to cut it up, I didn't get them to do it for me as I had done previously. Previously I'd had 4×7m sections cut to make my life a tad simpler but I'd ended up trimming off ½m of each as it turned out. So this time I just asked for 30m. The pipe isn't measured out because there are numbers from 1 to 150m on each reel. So I was rather surprised this morning when I measured out the lengths I wanted 6.5m × 4 and found myself with significantly more than 4m left over. Measuring it, I've actually got 14m left over which is more than enough to net over a 3rd tree. I guess the person who had to do some very simple maths on Thursday isn't very good at maths...

So these are the projects I've been working on in the garden. Refencing and shading in the veg plot. It needs to be fully enclosed because of the numerous native wildlife that will easy or just destroy the veg & fruit about 3 days before it's ripe enough to harvest.

Veg plot.

Then there are 2 fruit trees.

The pear tree which have us around 100kg of pears last year and the apple tree, of which not a single apple was had because it wasn't netted off.

Very large and 60 year old apple tree.

And the pear tree which has 2 varieties of pears growing on it.

We've decided that we'll try to save the apricot tree if there is any sign of fruit on it. That will be a nice change. The fruit is gorgeous on it, but we didn't get a crop last year because of a late frost killing the flowers. I fear the same may have occurred this year, but I will see tomorrow.

The next major task is weeding the veg plot and getting the remaining veg planted out. Some short season crops can also go in once I've added some goodness back into the soil with some homemade fertiliser.

Well, if you had fun, and made new friends, I'd call it a good day.

My philosophy is to enjoy the good days, and try to let the bad days, in your case, related to your health issues be less important. That got me through cancer with high spirits. There are a lot of things you can't choose, but you can choose your friends, and your way of seeing what life deals you.

CD
Yeah, that's how I roll. I've been ill for 7 years straight now, it teaches you to focus on the good things. I talk about my illness on here more than IRL because I want to focus on the good things offline. This is just sometimes a safe space where I can express my pain if I don't want to burden those around me.
I've had a near death experience, it changes who you are. I went from a quite pessimistic person to an optimistic one practically overnight. The people around me now are drawn to me because of my positive outlook, at least that's what they say.

Rain is in the forecast, but we’re planning on going to Cincy’s new Christmas Market today.

Cincy’s had a Christmas market at one of the German clubs, and the goods are mainly brought it from Germany, and proper Christmas market stalls and all that, but the city itself never sponsored one until maybe 10 years ago, when the main German-speaking group tried to get one off the ground, but it lasted just a few years. It was very small.

Now, one of the breweries in town is launching a revitalized one, this is the first year for it, so we’re off to check it out.

Flying home today. Then, I start my diet, to lose the five pounds I gained this week eating too much, and eating a lot of restaurant food.

I'm at the Houston airport now. I left my sister's house early, with urging from my sister. She leaves for the airport three hours before her flights, and since this is the Sunday after Thanksgiving, she talked me into leaving early. That was a guarantee that there would be no traffic, and no line at TSA. So, I have 90 minutes to kill.

Visitors to Texas at the airport are learning about Texas alcohol laws the hard way. I'm drinking coffee at a bar, and have had to explain it to a couple of people why they can't get a Bloody Mary on Sunday morning. They don't realize that you are supposed to be in church on Sunday morning, not in a bar. Good men drink in strip clubs on Saturday night, and take the wife and kids to church on Sunday mornings. You can't drink on Sunday morning, but you can carry a gun in church -- one of your God given rights in Texas.

CD

Visitors to Texas at the airport are learning about Texas alcohol laws the hard way.
Phew, don’t get me started on blue laws. If I could, I’d abolish every last one of those stupid, good-for-nothing, moralizing piece-of-💩 laws. 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom