Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I'm meeting a nephew for lunch. Really, I'd prefer to stay home, but I let myself be talked into it.

That's something that always cheeses me off about my vacations - as soon as the word gets out, I start getting bombarded with demands on my time, "...it's not like you're doing anything anyway, you're off work this week." It's why I rarely stay home when I take a week off. Yesterday was half a day going to the doc's, today is lunch out, tomorrow we're driving an hour to meet my parents for breakfast, Thursday I've got to go talk to the landscaper, and Friday I've got to pressure wash the house.

I just want a day of nothing to do! Nothing!

It really stinks, because I was telling my wife yesterday, I don't feel like I'm getting any time off at all, I just feel like I'm trading one crap job for another crap job.

Today, I'm meeting a nephew for lunch. Really, I'd prefer to stay home, but I let myself be talked into it.

That's something that always cheeses me off about my vacations - as soon as the word gets out, I start getting bombarded with demands on my time, "...it's not like you're doing anything anyway, you're off work this week." It's why I rarely stay home when I take a week off. Yesterday was half a day going to the doc's, today is lunch out, tomorrow we're driving an hour to meet my parents for breakfast, Thursday I've got to go talk to the landscaper, and Friday I've got to pressure wash the house.

I just want a day of nothing to do! Nothing!

It really stinks, because I was telling my wife yesterday, I don't feel like I'm getting any time off at all, I just feel like I'm trading one crap job for another crap job.
My hubby had the same problem. I'm now very careful to ensure that unless he wants to, the jobs list isn't around when he's off work. I'd love to get the list done and there are items that have to get done, but not all of it needs doing. (They're things that i physically can't do and things that he dislikes me doing (usually because they hurry me so much or physically exhaust me, or both).)1

My hubby had the same problem. I'm now very careful to ensure that unless he wants to, the jobs list isn't around when he's off work. I'd love to get the list done and there are items that have to get done, but not all of it needs doing. (They're things that i physically can't do and things that he dislikes me doing (usually because they hurry me so much or physically exhaust me, or both).)1
Today, I have no one but myself to blame - I should have said no from the start, but that was a month ago when he asked to get together, and I didn't really think much about it.

Part of the problem is, he asked me to "hang out" - he's 20 and somewhat a loner, no friends, really, no boy/girlfriend, so I said yeah, sure, whatever, and then it fell to me to make all the arrangements, like suggest places to meet, suggest times, etc. That always puts me in a bad mood, because I'm stuck doing all the work, and it's like pulling teeth, because he never responds to texts, and it takes four or five times of checking to find out if he saw a text or not.

At least with my parents, they asked to meet us for breakfast, and they immediately had a place in mind and said, "Whatever works for you two is good for us," so we decided on a time right then, and that was sorted.

Really, now that I think about it, all my damn niblings are like that - "Hey, Uncle Tasty, we haven't seen you in a while, let's get together, but you have to think of five places we could meet, and then we'll choose one!" Puts the onus right on me.

I told the wife this is the last time I'm doing anything like this. I went through a similar thing over the last few years with my parents constantly badgering us to drive the 75 minutes each way to see them, and then they'd want to get in the car and have me drive them to some diner another 30 minutes further away, and I finally put a stop to it. They still harass me, though a lot less, and if I don't feel like going, I don't go, and if that makes me a bad son, so be it.

Today, we met my folks and my brother and his wife for breakfast. Had a good time, but my folks are getting pretty old, and they're really slipping mentally. My dad pretty much constantly repeats the same stories from the last several years over and over again. If I were to see them tomorrow, no doubt he tell me them again.

From there, we went to a big overstocks store, where I did manage to grab a $50US Le Creuset gratin dish for a whopping $15! Per my rule of something new comes in, something old has to go, I'll now bring one of my 2-qt glass plain-Jane baking dishes to work and leave it on the "free to take" table.

They may have a fancy name for the color, but I'd just call it red. :)

Today, I'm doing that most-hated chore of laundry. Additionally, I'm going to prune back some of the landscaping plants we have, getting ready for Winter.

I've decided against pressure-washing the house. I walked around it, and there's only one spot that got that greenish bit of mold or whatever that always grows on the shady side - I'm just going to get that off by hand, then get the pressure-washing properly done in the Spring, when I'll have more inclination to wash the deck, all the concrete surfaces, and the outbuilding as well.

One last chore - we have two leach fields with our septic system, so today's the day I get to stick my hand down in there and flip from one to the other. Oh joy.

Lastly, it's also time to flip the mattresses, so a backache will be in order after that

Good choice.

Don't know what a leach field is.
Just the picture and the first paragraph will explain it well enough:

Septic drain field - Wikipedia

So those three lines, like a giant fork, I have two sets of those; one to the left of my septic tank and one to the right, and I flip between them every six months, giving one side a rest during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom