Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working from home today. Over lunch, I have to run into town for half-n-half and a prescription.

At 4:30PM, I have a $&*%@ conference call, which cuts right into when I generally start prepping for supper, so I've been irritated for the last two days just thinking about it. All because one person works 2nd shift.
Same boat as you, I have a call that starts @5pm scheduled for two hours duration and I started my work day at 6:30am performing a system upgrade... grrr😡😡

Same boat as you, I have a call that starts @5pm scheduled for two hours duration and I started my work day at 6:30am performing a system upgrade... grrr😡😡

Oh the bliss of being retired <smug>.

Sorry...

Planned to make a plaited bread using a new technique (which I achieved). Photos tomorrow as its dark now.

Oh the bliss of being retired <smug>.

Sorry...
No sorries, I begrudge no one their hard-earned retirement. Enjoy! That'll be me in a little over 2,200 days. :)

As someone who's been in IT for about 30 years, the career field has shifted, and I'd warn anybody out of it, or at least with a huge caveat of "be sure you want to work evenings, overnights, holidays, and weekends, because that's when you'll be working...as well as your regular day shift."

When I first started, 1988, "computers" were still largely a mystery, no one outside of the nerds in the computer room (me) knew how they worked, and it gave systems people a lot of power.

When I first started, IT told the user/business community when upgrades would happen, when the system would be down, when releases would happen, and we scheduled the maintenance, and it sure wasn't over the weekend if we could help it.

Now it's exactly the opposite, the users whistle and we dance. "The system can't be down during business hours!" Before everything became so system-reliant, there was always a manual way to complete a job, but now, no system, no work being done that day, so now we have to do any maintenance, releases, upgrades at night and on weekends/holidays, as well as work during the day for real-time issues.

We were once gods, now we're lower than peasants! Ok, I exaggerate, but not by much. :)

When I first started, 1988, "computers" were still largely a mystery, no one outside of the nerds in the computer room (me) knew how they worked, and it gave systems people a lot of power.

My first good job out of college was with EDS (Electronic Data Systems), Ross Perot's company. That was mid to late 80s. I was an Art major in college, and worked on sales presentations. I loved it when I got to go to the Data Centers, where the mainframe computers were housed, in the summer months. It was always about 65 degrees in there.

EDS had an SE program (Systems Engineer). You had to sign a five year (IIRC) contract to enter the program, and you practically lived at EDS. The company actually owned an apartment complex near the offices for SE participants to rent for a reasonable price. Once you completed the SE program, and fulfilled your contract, you could stay with the company and make a lot of money, or get a six-figure job pretty much anywhere. Recruiters were in bidding wars to hire you.

Later on, working for an IBM PC-based software company, only the creative department used Macintosh computers. We had to do all of our own IT management, because the IT people were clueless about Macs. Some of the IT people scoffed at our Macs, but a few were very curious, and would come visit us to pick our brains about them.

CD

Last edited:
Going into the office today (blech!) because I have some kind of mandatory safety meeting that has to be done in person.

Planning on making bratwurst patty sandwiches tonight, so I've got to stop and get some apples for the kraut.

Not completely decided. I got home at 10:30 last night from my 2 hour each way run to Connecticut - where we'd eaten dinner at a new and amazingly good Italian restaurant back down there. (I am usually unimpressed by Italian restaurants in New England). I started with a special (crispy artichoke hearts) which were very lightly battered, and had a marvelous spicy aioli dip (as well as a boring same-ole marinara dip). There was so much of that, that I had very little room for my squid and spinach salad (with mixed greens, capers, tomato bits, and capers, with a light vinaigrette).

Reason I mention yesterday is that I'm eating the leftover salad for breakfast as I type. I'm usually in bed before 10, so I'm still rather in a slow and hazy mood so far this morning. It's 30 F outside right now but the sun is shining and it should warm up sufficiently that I'll be planting daffodil bulbs (and one other type I'd never seen before). by afternoon. I will also see if the cannas tubers still in the ground can be pulled up, and if they look salvageable after the freezing temps earlier in the month.

I think the pumpkin I have outdoors is getting soft, and I will probably break it up (by tossing it at a rock out back) and feed it to the feathered ladies and their new gent. Someone was telling me last night that pumpkin (at least the seeds?) is good for worming your poultry (assuming they have worms), and I do believe they love it. I will save some seeds for planting next spring.

My new stoneware dinner set arrived a couple days ago; I am going to be donating the old stoneware to the local community center later this morning. After all these years of the old set, it is terribly incomplete what with intermittent breakage and all.

Dinner will be grey sole, with asparagus and/or bok choy. Haven't decided on whatever sauce will top the sole.

My career has been in both the commercial and recreational diving industries, mostly recreational. I taught scuba for 12 years up to the instructor level as well as driving multiple dive boats including what we called "Cattle Boats", 24 passenger. Then I decided to get a real job working on high pressure compressors (up to 6000 psi) and gas systems for recreational diving and fire fighter breathing air. I have designed and built breathing gas systems for recreational diving, mostly mega yacht (70+ meters) dive programs. I now work on fire station breathing gas systems and part time doing mega yacht breathing gas systems service and equipment installation.

I will also see if the cannas tubers still in the ground can be pulled up, and if they look salvageable after the freezing temps earlier in the month.

I have canna lilies and never touch them despite freezing temperatures - they sprout up every year, no problem.

I have canna lilies and never touch them despite freezing temperatures - they sprout up every year, no problem.

How cold do you get? We are no strangers to -10 F / -23 C... and last year we got down to -13 F / -25 C.

Back in Connecticut, when I went to replant in the spring, any tuber I inadvertently missed was dead and rotten. Oh, I had ONE survivor, who happened to be tucked in about three inches from the house itself.

How cold do you get? We are no strangers to -10 F / -23 C... and last year we got down to -13 F / -25 C.

Back in Connecticut, when I went to replant in the spring, any tuber I inadvertently missed was dead and rotten. Oh, I had ONE survivor, who happened to be tucked in about three inches from the house itself.

I think it once or twice has gone as low as -10 C in Kent, but that would be extremely rare.... thank goodness! I guess I'm lucky here; no extreme heat and no extreme cold.

I think it once or twice has gone as low as -10 C in Kent, but that would be extremely rare.... thank goodness! I guess I'm lucky here; no extreme heat and no extreme cold.

You Brits benefit from the Gulf Steam Current, which is slowing down. If it ever stalls, you are in for much colder winters.

CD

You Brits benefit from the Gulf Steam Current, which is slowing down. If it ever stalls, you are in for much colder winters.

CD

For the moment I'll be smug and snug. But hey - I'm not really so complacent. Climate change is real and its happening. I fear its all too late that we have become aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom