Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to buy new lights for the Christmas tree. We're out of bulbs for the original ones bought in 1993 and very few places even online now sell the bulbs, so despite them actually working... and it is now cheaper to but a new set with over 250 LED lights than it is to buy 16 replacement bulbs!

Going to my mom and dad's today. Ostensibly, it's just a visit, but really, it's to pick up our Christmas-gift-that-isn't-a-Christmas-gift-because-we-don't-celebrate-Christmas. Every year, they stick a little bit of money in a plain card and give us that, but don't forget, IT'S NOT FOR CHRISTMAS! :laugh:

Then we're going to stop by my brother Lee's. He's having a rough time. He was really sick a couple of weeks ago, throwing up anything he tried to eat or drink, and he was diagnosed with gallstones, gastritis, and fatty liver disease. He's also in the process of being screened for stomach and liver cancer. They thought he had stomach cancer a few years ago, but then they said he didn't, but now they're not sure.

Lee has always been a good-time guy, loves to drink with friends, loves everybody, never met a stranger, and also loves candy and junk food. Really, the only things he hates are fresh fruit and veg. :). It looks like a lifetime of daily whiskeys, fried foods and snack cakes and candy bars has caught up to him.

He's got big dietary changes ahead, starting with zero booze. Not a drop. He's pretty tore up about it, as we say around here. No more potatoes, no white flour, no sugar, nothing fried, etc.

So I made him a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread and I'm dropping that by. It feels a little heavy, but I think I know what went wrong, so if the flavor's ok, I'll make him another loaf, and probably get him some whole wheat pizza dough made up as well, then try to perfect a palatable cheese-less roasted veg pizza or something like that.

The last of the shopping is done so later we are going for a walk to a delicious Turkish restaurant for lunch, nip into the Indian snack shop to order the samosas for the family party on 27th, do a bit of last minute cleaning then we are done.

Going to my mom and dad's today. Ostensibly, it's just a visit, but really, it's to pick up our Christmas-gift-that-isn't-a-Christmas-gift-because-we-don't-celebrate-Christmas. Every year, they stick a little bit of money in a plain card and give us that, but don't forget, IT'S NOT FOR CHRISTMAS! :laugh:

Then we're going to stop by my brother Lee's. He's having a rough time. He was really sick a couple of weeks ago, throwing up anything he tried to eat or drink, and he was diagnosed with gallstones, gastritis, and fatty liver disease. He's also in the process of being screened for stomach and liver cancer. They thought he had stomach cancer a few years ago, but then they said he didn't, but now they're not sure.

Lee has always been a good-time guy, loves to drink with friends, loves everybody, never met a stranger, and also loves candy and junk food. Really, the only things he hates are fresh fruit and veg. :). It looks like a lifetime of daily whiskeys, fried foods and snack cakes and candy bars has caught up to him.

He's got big dietary changes ahead, starting with zero booze. Not a drop. He's pretty tore up about it, as we say around here. No more potatoes, no white flour, no sugar, nothing fried, etc.

So I made him a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread and I'm dropping that by. It feels a little heavy, but I think I know what went wrong, so if the flavor's ok, I'll make him another loaf, and probably get him some whole wheat pizza dough made up as well, then try to perfect a palatable cheese-less roasted veg pizza or something like that.

Sorry to hear about your brother :hug:

3 days of hard rain approaching.
I'll mow the laws and cut the roses way, way back.
Sweep out the drains and watch some american style football on TV.

Sorry to hear about your brother :hug:
Thanks. We stopped by, and he seemed a little puny, but otherwise ok. He did get carried away with the snacking and got sick after we left, and from watching him with his food choices, I think initially, he's going to struggle understanding what he can and can't eat. For example, he fixed himself a plate of crackers and cheese, and he was proudly pointing out that the cheese was low-fat, and he was having some raw veggies with it, and I had to remind him that Ritz crackers aren't whole grain flour and have some kind of fat, and those are on his naughty list for now. He, not being culinarily inclined at all, didn't realize crackers are made from flour. He was visibly saddened that his treat he'd fixed for himself contained yet more thing he couldn't eat.

Another part of his problem is, with the holidays, he's in a bit of a holding pattern. He's gotten this bleak outlook regarding his food and drink, he's full of gallstones and in visible discomfort, he needs further stomach and liver testing, and he needs to meet with a proper nutritionist, but all of that takes time and the ball won't really start rolling until after the new year. He's anxious to move on with things.

And lastly, after visiting with him, I would say, at least in these early days, his wife could be a little more supportive. She was sitting there drinking up a storm and eating potato chips and pretzels, and he looked miserable with his green tea and carrots. Long-term, yes, he's got to learn to live in a world with booze that he can't have and junk food that he can't have, but he's really struggling out of the gate, and in the short-term, I think she could be a little more understanding.

She also doesn't cook much, and has told me separately that she has no intention of sorting out his food choices with him or helping him with meal planning, so I'm going to try and get a few ideas together for him.

I think once we get past January, we'll know a lot more.

Today, I've got to do my last shop before Christmas (who'm I kidding, I'll be back in there Christmas Eve), then sit down and work out my cooking timeline for Christmas Day.

Thanks. We stopped by, and he seemed a little puny, but otherwise ok. He did get carried away with the snacking and got sick after we left, and from watching him with his food choices, I think initially, he's going to struggle understanding what he can and can't eat. For example, he fixed himself a plate of crackers and cheese, and he was proudly pointing out that the cheese was low-fat, and he was having some raw veggies with it, and I had to remind him that Ritz crackers aren't whole grain flour and have some kind of fat, and those are on his naughty list for now. He, not being culinarily inclined at all, didn't realize crackers are made from flour. He was visibly saddened that his treat he'd fixed for himself contained yet more thing he couldn't eat.

Another part of his problem is, with the holidays, he's in a bit of a holding pattern. He's gotten this bleak outlook regarding his food and drink, he's full of gallstones and in visible discomfort, he needs further stomach and liver testing, and he needs to meet with a proper nutritionist, but all of that takes time and the ball won't really start rolling until after the new year. He's anxious to move on with things.

And lastly, after visiting with him, I would say, at least in these early days, his wife could be a little more supportive. She was sitting there drinking up a storm and eating potato chips and pretzels, and he looked miserable with his green tea and carrots. Long-term, yes, he's got to learn to live in a world with booze that he can't have and junk food that he can't have, but he's really struggling out of the gate, and in the short-term, I think she could be a little more understanding.

She also doesn't cook much, and has told me separately that she has no intention of sorting out his food choices with him or helping him with meal planning, so I'm going to try and get a few ideas together for him.

Changing eating habits can be very difficult when as you say neither appear to be too savvy regarding nutrition.
There are some great websites out there that would be very beneficial. A shame his wife isn't too supportive, maybe that would change if her health was suffering too.

Maybe if you go through with him on a list of snacky veggies he can eat, he can pick out those he prefers over the others. (I know I'll starve before I gnosh down on raw carrots.) I do wish his wife were more supportive in these early stages. If she needs to consume those things he loves and can't have, she could at the very least do it out of sight for now.

I feel bad that she won't at least try to work with him on meals and meal planning. At least you should be able to give some ideas. But if he's never cooked for himself -- that's a major road block, especially given the wife's apparent attitude. Have you known him to take on hobbies in the past? If so, perhaps he could consider cooking a new hobby? (Don't know if that would work but everyone in my immediate family cooks, male and female alike.)

Today: So far, some clean up, took stuff to dump, mailed holiday greetings out including some gifts - and picked up my own mail. Forgot that my niece and her family have moved, so I'm trying to contact them to tell them they'll get their gifts late as UPS and the Postal Service probably won't re-route to them in time. :headshake:Yeah, the great nephewlet's gifts was sent via Amazon three days ago, and my niece's gift was dropped into the box before I retrieved her gift to me - and note the new addy in the return notice portion of the package. Being Sunday, there were no postal workers there. (Well, here we only have a lone postal worker.)

Later today - cleaning kitchen, and plan to make Dad's salmon tartare today. A recipe to be posted. It is finally above freezing outside. I hope to do some coop cleaning if it gets warm enough long enough that frozen embedded poop dislodges. I am considering whether or not to go to a meditation session with Tibetan bells at 3 pm this afternoon.

Yesterday: Went to a Solstice celebration event at a friend's home, an hour and so away. I brought a local friend of mine. Very enjoyable. At least now I know there will be more daylight each day after each day! Retirement really makes one notice these things.

Maybe if you go through with him on a list of snacky veggies he can eat, he can pick out those he prefers over the others. (I know I'll starve before I gnosh down on raw carrots.) I do wish his wife were more supportive in these early stages. If she needs to consume those things he loves and can't have, she could at the very least do it out of sight for now.

I feel bad that she won't at least try to work with him on meals and meal planning. At least you should be able to give some ideas. But if he's never cooked for himself -- that's a major road block, especially given the wife's apparent attitude. Have you known him to take on hobbies in the past? If so, perhaps he could consider cooking a new hobby? (Don't know if that would work but everyone in my immediate family cooks, male and female alike.)

I've been texting him today, and the first thing I told him was, "Let me know if I'm annoying you with this stuff, but here's some tips," and he hasn't told me to stop, but then again, he wouldn't even if I were.

About 20 years ago, I got up close to 240 lbs and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and one of the things my insurance paid for was a week-long course in nutrition, and that really served me well. I lost over 70 lbs in one year, so I not only have some understanding of basic nutrition, but I also understand going from not knowing diddly-squat about food to having to be a little savvy about choices, and what it's like to go from eating anything you like to having to live with significant restrictions.

He can eat eggs, so today I sent him a very plain-Jane version of shakshuka, and he turned his nose up at that. Apparently, he likes tomatoes and onions and bell peppers and eggs, but not at the same time. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He also likes canned tuna and tuna salad, so I sent him a recipe that uses low-fat tzatziki for the dressing, and that didn't win any approval, either.

I told him that he's got two changes coming up - make more food from scratch and broaden your palate, and I got the crying emoji back, so he's going to have to come around. :)

He's not a cook at all. He can't even make stuff like Hamburger Helper from a box. His diet has always been restaurant food and junk food. He once made me nachos - Fritos dumped on a plate with cellophane-wrapped fake orange cheese on top, stuck in the microwave...and he was really impressed with himself. :laugh:

As to his wife...after 15 years in the family, and giving her every benefit of the doubt, I can say I just don't care for her very much, and I don't think they even make a good couple. He's always had the absolute worst wives and girlfriends, because his number one priority is his life between the sheets, and as long as that's ok, he'll endure anything else.

Apart from her libido meshing with his, he's outgoing, she's introverted, he's a pleaser, she goes out of her way to irritate everyone around her, he's a touchy-feeling romantic, she's an emotionless stump (apart from the sex drive), he loves to spend money and give gifts, she's a tightwad, and on and on.

Where that lined up with this is that he's a very empathetic person, and when someone he cares about is in trouble, he's the first one to help, and to really try and be emotionally supportive. She's not. She's (by her own admission) fairly hard-hearted and seems to have taken the position of "that's his problem to deal with, not mine."

She's also not a cook at all and gets by on booze, weed, yogurt, and raw fruit & veg. I do know, when I asked if she was having any problems helping with his diet, she laughed sarcastically and said, "I'm not doing any of that! Were eating separately!" That's how you end up when you think with your Richard. :)

He's retired and he's a hi-energy person, so I'm going to try to get him to understand that cooking can be fun, and he gets to eat the results, and he has the time on his hands to do it if he wants. Right now, I think he's fighting the idea that he can't just open a can of pre-made healthy food and zap it in the microwave and be done with it.

He can eat eggs, so today I sent him a very plain-Jane version of shakshuka, and he turned his nose up at that. Apparently, he likes tomatoes and onions and bell peppers and eggs, but not at the same time. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He also likes canned tuna and tuna salad, so I sent him a recipe that uses low-fat tzatziki for the dressing, and that didn't win any approval, either. :)

Step 1. Ask him to text you a list of all the veg that he likes - or all things he is allowed to eat and likes. Maybe we could all help come up with some ideas for things he might like based on that? But it sounds like he is being resistant at the moment. To reject the tzatziki replacing mayo (I presume?) without even trying it tends to suggest that. I use Greek style yoghurt all the time to replace mayonnaise. If you some add olive oil (if that's allowed) and French mustard it tastes very similar.

He's retired and he's a hi-energy person, so I'm going to try to get him to understand that cooking can be fun, and he gets to eat the results, and he has the time on his hands to do it if he wants. Right now, I think he's fighting the idea that he can't just open a can of pre-made healthy food and zap it in the microwave and be done with it.

If he has energy and a kitchen which his wife barely uses, then he is in a very good position to start a new hobby (as Mountain Cat suggests).

3 days of hard rain approaching.
I'll mow the laws and cut the roses way, way back.
Sweep out the drains and watch some american style football on TV.

Funny you posted this, we babysat grandys last night, kids were watching a crap movie on tv, wife went outside and pruned their roses as well. I've never seen her prune roses before!

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom