Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, almost everyone trying to quit uses E cigarettes. That way you have something in your hand and can inhale the fake smoke (which is supposedly harmless vapour) and puff it out again. Do they not sell them in the USA? Its not a cheap option but it seems to work really well. In fact, you now see more people on the street smoking E cigarettes than real ones!
Oh yes, they sell them here, except everyone just loads them with nicotine cartridges or cannabis cartridges or fruit-flavored tobacco cartridges and puffs away, claiming it's helping them to cut back. They're still smoking, possibly fooling themselves as well, and they look rather ridiculous at the same time.

As one late-night comedian joked, "Every time you vape, you look like you're giving a robot a b--wj-b." 🤔

My SIL started vaping years ago, when they first came out, "to help me quit" - now she vapes and smokes! :laugh:

It's a hot topic here right now, because the manufacturers are getting in trouble for marketing aimed at kids and because there have been a few deaths linked to vaping and respiratory problems.

Here, almost everyone trying to quit uses E cigarettes. That way you have something in your hand and can inhale the fake smoke (which is supposedly harmless vapour) and puff it out again. Do they not sell them in the USA? Its not a cheap option but it seems to work really well. In fact, you now see more people on the street smoking E cigarettes than real ones!

Those things smell awful :yuck:

Oh yes, they sell them here, except everyone just loads them with nicotine cartridges or cannabis cartridges or fruit-flavored tobacco cartridges and puffs away, claiming it's helping them to cut back. They're still smoking, possibly fooling themselves as well, and they look rather ridiculous at the same time.

Its no worse than chewing gum or patches which also contain nicotine. They aren't 'smoking' - no burning of tobacco involved. The nicotine is absorbed into the lining of the mouth (as with the chewing gum). My son used them and quit smoking in three months.

Its no worse than chewing gum or patches which also contain nicotine. They aren't 'smoking' - no burning of tobacco involved. The nicotine is absorbed into the lining of the mouth (as with the chewing gum). My son used them and quit smoking in three months.
The difference is, there really aren't people who've never smoked before using nicotine gum, and nicotine gum is meant to be used as a temporary nicotine replacement while on the way to eliminating dependence to it. Today, there are people who've never smoked who vape. I can count most of my nieces and nephews among them.

Vaping isn't a quitting strategy. Yes, it may have worked for your son, and that's great, but study after study after study shows that this isn't the case across a larger population, even though many people first started vaping specifically for that reason (like my SIL), and even though the industry purposely marketed e-cigs as a way to quit smoking, even though that's been proven to be largely a myth.

Vaping has just become an alternative to smoking, a replacement for it, kind of like saying, "I'm getting fat from eating too much chocolate, so I'm giving up Dairy Milk bars...for chocolate cake." 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vaping has just become an alternative to smoking, a replacement for it, kind of like saying, "I'm getting fat from eating too much chocolate, so I'm giving up Dairy Milk bars...for chocolate cake." 🤦🏻‍♂️

You may be right that stats show that it replaces smoking rather than stopping nicotine intake altogether. But its probably a safer choice to smoking. Lung cancer is not caused by nicotine. Nicotine has effects on health as well but not nearly as bad as inhaling tobacco tar. You get nicotine from gum & patches so there is little difference other than the fact that vaping gives the 'illusion' of inhaling smoke. Its an illusion. The 'smoke' is not tobacco smoke but yes it is theoretically possible it could have long term effects.

Nobody really knows as no long term studies have been carried out.

Same here but it's turning out to de bad for you now.

Russ

The difference is, there really aren't people who've never smoked before using nicotine gum, and nicotine gum is meant to be used as a temporary nicotine replacement while on the way to eliminating dependence to it. Today, there are people who've never smoked who vape. I can count most of my nieces and nephews among them.

Vaping isn't a quitting strategy. Yes, it may have worked for your son, and that's great, but study after study after study shows that this isn't the case across a larger population, even though many people first started vaping specifically for that reason (like my SIL), and even though the industry purposely marketed e-cigs as a way to quit smoking, even though that's been proven to be largely a myth.

I'm only going on memory but the patches I put on my shoulders had a dose of nicotine to last a day?? Then you put another on the opposite shoulder. Because I was a heavy smoker I was wearing up to two or even three patches at once. After about three weeks I was a non smoker. I never smoked for 12 months, then a death in the family set me smoking again.

Russ

What a surprise, sucking a cocktail of synthetic molecules manufactured without proper controls into the smallest brachial sacs of your lungs might not be good in the long term 🤔

Ive always watched what I put in my body, (except ciggies , started when 12ish) I would never ever use e ciggies. I read most labels of stuff I eat.

Russ

Ive always watched what I put in my body, (except ciggies , started when 12ish) I would never ever use e ciggies. I read most labels of stuff I eat.

Russ
At my worst I smoked 30 a day, I stopped when I was ready to. I don't get e-cigs, the problem with smoking is sucking a miriad of chemical particals into your lungs, electronic inhalers just replace one set of nasties ( with 100s of years of study) with others ( backed by no studies and little regulation). I see some horrible deaths and many law suits coming over the next 30 years.

At my worst I smoked 30 a day, I stopped when I was ready to. I don't get e-cigs, the problem with smoking is sucking a miriad of chemical particals into your lungs, electronic inhalers just replace one set of nasties ( with 100s of years of study) with others ( backed by no studies and little regulation). I see some horrible deaths and many law suits coming over the next 30 years.

My nana and my mother were both chain smokers, died through smoking, both at age 66. So glad I gave up in 06.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom