Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck and and inquiring minds (well, mine) want to know - what’s the bottle with the pointy spout next to the power cord?
That's a bottle of lubricant. The machine needs lubed every so often. Someone was kind enough to leave the top off, so all the bits and bobs were nice and slick to handle. :/

I finished putting together a rolling 8 unit cubby storage unit this morning. It has a wine X and 2 glass racks, 2 divided cubbys (1 with fabric bins, 1 for shoes), and 4 sturdy fabric bins. It has taken a while as it became an exercise in frustration at times. I still have a 2 cubby piece to put together to sit on top of 1 end, but I'm probably not going to do that today. Started filling it up already.

I started some pork belly curing for bacon last weekend. Need to wash off the cure today and cook a piece so it can get a water bath for a few hours if it's too salty. Hopefully, it won't be as I cut down some on the regular salt, though not the pink salt. It will then dry on a rack in fridge overnight and Craig will smoke tomorrow. He's planning on using some of it for the bean challenge.

Made the Asian slaw and pickled cucumbers, and started the dough for pork belly buns a little while ago.

Last edited:
Plans for today are simple.
Meet my mother and step father at the supermarket an hour away for 10am. One of them is going to push the trolley and do the lifting whilst I get a weekly shop done. It's hard to actually get your shopping done alone on a wheelchair. Those trolleys designed to go on the front of a wheelchair are not designed for the occupant to then actually move themselves around, but to be pushed around by someone else. This might apply to the older occupants of a wheelchair but when you're still mobile enough to move yourself around the supermarket, it leaves you unable to do your own shopping still! Grrr.

Then I need to get a SIM card sorted for my parents whilst they are here. Easier said than done because there are no burner phones in Australia. All cards have to be registered.

Them I need to go to the chemist (located 45 minutes away from both home and the supermarket) to get hubby his medication before he runs out tomorrow. It's next door to our doctor's where we used to live. There is a chemist in our 'local' town but the doctors there isn't very good and it also happens to be 25minutes away in the wrong direction! So we don't use it. We stayed where we were and just drive by when we need something. It makes the 45-60 minute drive home from Canberra, take about an extra ½hr but we can cope with that.

That will mean lunch out. Hopefully my parents will pay for that. Then I'll come home.

Plans for today are simple.
Meet my mother and step father at the supermarket an hour away for 10am. One of them is going to push the trolley and do the lifting whilst I get a weekly shop done. It's hard to actually get your shopping done alone on a wheelchair. Those trolleys designed to go on the front of a wheelchair are not designed for the occupant to then actually move themselves around, but to be pushed around by someone else. This might apply to the older occupants of a wheelchair but when you're still mobile enough to move yourself around the supermarket, it leaves you unable to do your own shopping still! Grrr.

Then I need to get a SIM card sorted for my parents whilst they are here. Easier said than done because there are no burner phones in Australia. All cards have to be registered.

Them I need to go to the chemist (located 45 minutes away from both home and the supermarket) to get hubby his medication before he runs out tomorrow. It's next door to our doctor's where we used to live. There is a chemist in our 'local' town but the doctors there isn't very good and it also happens to be 25minutes away in the wrong direction! So we don't use it. We stayed where we were and just drive by when we need something. It makes the 45-60 minute drive home from Canberra, take about an extra ½hr but we can cope with that.

That will mean lunch out. Hopefully my parents will pay for that. Then I'll come home.

It's funny you should post this about your wheel chair, I was sitting in the car yesterday and saw two people in two wheel chairs go into a supermarket, I wondered how they got their goods, do they ask a shop assistant to help lift goods into trolleys? Does someone walk with them around?

Russ

Sunday here and 29 deg c predicted here, BBQ for dinner tonight. I ain't cooking, daughter or son will do the duties later.

Russ

It's funny you should post this about your wheel chair, I was sitting in the car yesterday and saw two people in two wheel chairs go into a supermarket, I wondered how they got their goods, do they ask a shop assistant to help lift goods into trolleys? Does someone walk with them around?

Russ
I usually go with my hubby who pushes the trolley. Otherwise it is a case of max 2 bags. 1 hangs off the back of the wheelchair over the top of my rucksack. The other sits on my knee. Bulky items need assistance.

This supermarket had an hourly slot once a week for people needing assistance. 10:30am to 11:30sm on a Tuesday. That's when customer service will walk around with you. Otherwise other customers usually ask if I need help or I'll ago someone to reach something from one of the higher shelves for me. Other customers often just unload the items for me for scanning to check out, most just do it without being asked or asking me if I need it. People just help you in Australia, at least in this part (the capital city of all places! ). They are just really friendly and get on with it. I've had a customer take me to my car when I've needed it because I was hurting too much to carry on wheeling along (back etc) he just asked saying I didn't look ok and he knew what it was like you have a bad back...

I often just put stuff directly into my bags and hand my bag over when I've unloaded it. I've never actually had it checked though!

Meet my mother and step father at the supermarket an hour away for 10am
That failed.

Got a text message at 9:30 to say they were at woolies... I'm driving so had to pull in to read it and reply. Arrangement was 10am.
Get to the big woolies at the airport, can't see their hire car inn the disabled bay. Know that they know their UK badge works in Australia so am surprised, but there's another disabled bay further away...
Get in and can't see them. Send then a message. Still can't see them. We're supposedly inn three same place by the tills... only they are in Queanbeyan and I'm at the big supermarket with wide enough isles to get an wheelchair around at the airport... now waiting for them to get to the airport woolies somewhere we know they know but are claiming they have never been to!

It's going to be a hard day today. I can tell.

I usually go with my hubby who pushes the trolley. Otherwise it is a case of max 2 bags. 1 hangs off the back of the wheelchair over the top of my rucksack. The other sits on my knee. Bulky items need assistance.

This supermarket had an hourly slot once a week for people needing assistance. 10:30am to 11:30sm on a Tuesday. That's when customer service will walk around with you. Otherwise other customers usually ask if I need help or I'll ago someone to reach something from one of the higher shelves for me. Other customers often just unload the items for me for scanning to check out, most just do it without being asked or asking me if I need it. People just help you in Australia, at least in this part (the capital city of all places! ). They are just really friendly and get on with it. I've had a customer take me to my car when I've needed it because I was hurting too much to carry on wheeling along (back etc) he just asked saying I didn't look ok and he knew what it was like you have a bad back...

I often just put stuff directly into my bags and hand my bag over when I've unloaded it. I've never actually had it checked though!

It's something I hadn't considered until yesterday. I'll have to offer when I see someone in a wheelchair.

Russ

That failed.

Got a text message at 9:30 to say they were at woolies... I'm driving so had to pull in to read it and reply. Arrangement was 10am.
Get to the big woolies at the airport, can't see their hire car inn the disabled bay. Know that they know their UK badge works in Australia so am surprised, but there's another disabled bay further away...
Get in and can't see them. Send then a message. Still can't see them. We're supposedly inn three same place by the tills... only they are in Queanbeyan and I'm at the big supermarket with wide enough isles to get an wheelchair around at the airport... now waiting for them to get to the airport woolies somewhere we know they know but are claiming they have never been to!

Families huh?

Russ

Sooooo, when do you figure you will list it for sale on Craigslist? :wink:

CD
We've bought enough exercise equipment over the years to nicely outfit a small gym. As I type, off to my left, is a stairclimber thingamajig that lasted one go-around.

Today, she walked on the treadmill for five minutes. Five. Minutes. I walked on it for 45 minutes, just to try out one of the programs on it.

After just the once, I like it fine, but then, I like to walk, even if it is just on a treadmill. Truthfully, and I'm not talking out of turn, she hates exercise. Loved ice cream, hates exercise, and that's deadly in the long run.

We've bought enough exercise equipment over the years to nicely outfit a small gym. As I type, off to my left, is a stairclimber thingamajig that lasted one go-around.

Today, she walked on the treadmill for five minutes. Five. Minutes. I walked on it for 45 minutes, just to try out one of the programs on it.

After just the once, I like it fine, but then, I like to walk, even if it is just on a treadmill. Truthfully, and I'm not talking out of turn, she hates exercise. Loved ice cream, hates exercise, and that's deadly in the long run.

I hate exercise. But, I love to play. Riding a stationary bike for 20 miles a day is something I just can't make myself do. But, riding a mountain bike down a sketchy trail at stupid speeds -- I'm all over that. Well, I was back when broken body parts healed completely and in a reasonable amount of time.

It only took me one home gym to learn my lesson on throwing money at fitness.

It took me four boats to learn about dumping money into a lake. :rolleyes:

CD

That failed.

Hope your day ends better than it started

Hope your day ends better than it started

Families huh?

Russ
Well it has ended...
I'm home finally...
I've got them a mobile phone card with data and unlimited Australian and (some countries) international calls, registered in my name to my address.... no burner phones in Australia...
I've set up a hot spot on his phone and go both their iPads connected to it and working... they are happy.
We had lunch, a disaster really but there we go...
I've got my weekly shopping done, stressful as h*** but it always was going to be. Mum can't push a trolley for the life of her, always immediately behind me too close for me to turn around with the wheelchair but the wrong place for me to reach the trolley.... everyone else could see it except her. Step father had a bad hip so was in a cafe. Went to the one I said avoid because it was empty and closer, coffee is crap there, hence why I said walk 200m not 100m. But hey hi. He confirmed it was crap!

And I may have found a cheaper call plan to change to... cheaper by 50% to what I currently pay with 3x the data and a tad more, plus the free unlimited national and international calls... I just need to change companies, no real hassle... I'll check that out later in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom