Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plan today was to copy the documents that I need to permit me to stay in this country for another year. Which I have done.

For a reason that is only apparent to the Thai Immigration, I need to provide a copy of my passport (they have at least 10 of these already), copies of each extension to stay issued in the last 10 years, copies of my bank passbook(s) showing that I have had the requisite funds in place for the last 12 months. Then I shall need to visit the bank on the same day that I apply for my extension (next Tuesday) to obtain a letter from them confirming my bank's balance then spend over one hour in the office 60 km away whilst everything is triple checked, signed and multi stamped.

And I complain about shopping!
That's the kind of thing that would always worry me about being an ex-pat...I'd get settled in, probably buy a car, a house even, 10 or 12 years would go by without an issue, and then, one day, for whatever reason, "Get out!" 😳

Fed holiday today (Memorial Day), the official start of summer here, but we're not going out.

Making barbecue beef sandwiches later, and some broccoli slaw to go with them. I made the beef in the slow cooker yesterday, so I just have to make the sauce today and warm it up in that.

My on-call week for work starts, and there're always one or two "go-getters" who like to work over a holiday and will invariably break something in the system and need help. They think nothing of interrupting someone else's holiday time just because they want to look like they're outworking their cubicle mate. 😒

Deck cleanup, sweep and scrub the table and chairs, install new cushions. Go through pots and throw out old ones, clean up the rest in preparation for flowers and veggies to be installed. Shop online for some kind of mosquito repellent thingie.

Ray have BBQ going very good, I make table an put potato salad an mayonnaise I make earlier. We have music in conservatory we should eat 7pm. Later after clean up we settle to watch movie. Ray need be up 5am to drive to site so we be in bed early.

Sarana x

Basically Flying across the country for work. Ohio to California. Flew out of Cleveland, airport was dead. Layover in Charlotte, airport is busy. I would say in the airport 50/50 mask - no mask. However, American Airlines requires face covering during boarding and flight. Middle seat empty on first leg. Haven’t boarded yet for second leg. From the number of people at the gate for the Sacramento flight, i would say close to full flight.

If the job was within driving distance, I would have gladly made the drive...

My only goal for today, a holiday, was to smoke some baby-back ribs. But, the weather is even nastier than predicted. It is 64F and non-stop rain. I asked myself, "Do I really want to do this today?" NO!

CD

My only goal for today, a holiday, was to smoke some baby-back ribs. But, the weather is even nastier than predicted. It is 64F and non-stop rain. I asked myself, "Do I really want to do this today?" NO!

CD
So what was your backup plan for today, and when will you smoke those ribs?

You probably could have fit them in today if you were here today. Got up to about 88F, with a heat index into the 90's, then it rained for 10 minutes, and now it's clear again, and about 70F, but muggy.

Lawn man is here, light rain overnight. Need to do some work on my car so that's later. Porterhouse steaks out for dinner. It's 11 am here. Just had a cup of tea.

Russ

So what was your backup plan for today, and when will you smoke those ribs?

You probably could have fit them in today if you were here today. Got up to about 88F, with a heat index into the 90's, then it rained for 10 minutes, and now it's clear again, and about 70F, but muggy.

Backup plan is to toss a couple hot dogs on the gas grill, and have that and potato salad. Still a fairly traditional Memorial Day meal. I also got some incredible peaches the other day. Texas peach season came a little early. They are soft and sweet, and very juicy. You have to eat one outside or over the sink.

I'll either smoke the ribs tomorrow, or freeze them for another time. Depends on the weather. We have rain possible everyday this week.

CD

Basically Flying across the country for work. Ohio to California. Flew out of Cleveland, airport was dead. Layover in Charlotte, airport is busy. I would say in the airport 50/50 mask - no mask. However, American Airlines requires face covering during boarding and flight. Middle seat empty on first leg. Haven’t boarded yet for second leg. From the number of people at the gate for the Sacramento flight, i would say close to full flight.

If the job was within driving distance, I would have gladly made the drive...

I presume there are far fewer flights than normal too. Hope you got back safely and it wasn't too crowded on board.

My plan today was to copy the documents that I need to permit me to stay in this country for another year. Which I have done.

For a reason that is only apparent to the Thai Immigration, I need to provide a copy of my passport (they have at least 10 of these already), copies of each extension to stay issued in the last 10 years, copies of my bank passbook(s) showing that I have had the requisite funds in place for the last 12 months. Then I shall need to visit the bank on the same day that I apply for my extension (next Tuesday) to obtain a letter from them confirming my bank's balance then spend over one hour in the office 60 km away whilst everything is triple checked, signed and multi stamped.

And I complain about shopping!

All accomplished by 12:30. Left home at 08:15 to go to the bank in town. Then 50 km to the Immigration Office. Just less than 1 hour sat outside there (restrictions because of the virus) and an hour back home. Just over 4 hours is really no hardship once/year.

All accomplished by 12:30. Left home at 08:15 to go to the bank in town. Then 50 km to the Immigration Office. Just less than 1 hour sat outside there (restrictions because of the virus) and an hour back home. Just over 4 hours is really no hardship once/year.
When we applied for our TSA PreCheck pass (let's you skip security at most US airports), we had to drive about four hours to the government office to do so, because all the appointments at our local office were reserved for months in advance.

Four hours up, spent the night, then the appointment, then four hours back, and the appointment lasted all of five minutes. :laugh:

Early start today - 09:00 appointment at vetinary surgeon's to have the dogs vaccinated. They were booked in a month ago, but the surgery closed down temporarily whilst they got covid ready. The new procedure is that we have to arrive, tie the dogs to a post outside, telephone the surgery to inform them of this (I am tempted just to knock on the door), and go back to our car. A nurse will come out to collect the dogs, take them in and administer the needles then bring them back out and tie them up to the post again, and somehow, money will exchange hands. One of the dogs really hates needles, and I really want to be in there with her.

Early start today - 09:00 appointment at vetinary surgeon's to have the dogs vaccinated. They were booked in a month ago, but the surgery closed down temporarily whilst they got covid ready. The new procedure is that we have to arrive, tie the dogs to a post outside, telephone the surgery to inform them of this (I am tempted just to knock on the door), and go back to our car. A nurse will come out to collect the dogs, take them in and administer the needles then bring them back out and tie them up to the post again, and somehow, money will exchange hands. One of the dogs really hates needles, and I really want to be in there with her.

In the car listening to the radio today and the guy running the show was saying how he had a cra@ day yesterday, had to drop his dog off to be put down. He could only drop to the car park. He wanted to be with his dog when it was put down. He was gutted.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom