Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the the joy of driving home from Houston today. Five hours of driving a rented Nissan SUV on a flat, straight Interstate Highway. Good times!

CD

Well, I got home. I drove non-stop. Traffic was light, so I made good time. But, I still really hate that drive.

I reserved a "luxury SUV" from Hertz, which was described as a Range Rover Discovery or similar. The vehicle wasn't there when I went to pick it up. They stuck me in a Nissan Pathfinder. It drove okay, but was not comfortable. My back is hurting.

BTW, I rent a car for long trips because I don't want to tear up my MINI. Also, it is a CooperS model, which has no spare tire. Not good if you have a flat in rural Texas.

CD

Well, I got home. I drove non-stop. Traffic was light, so I made good time. But, I still really hate that drive.

I reserved a "luxury SUV" from Hertz, which was described as a Range Rover Discovery or similar. The vehicle wasn't there when I went to pick it up. They stuck me in a Nissan Pathfinder. It drove okay, but was not comfortable. My back is hurting.

BTW, I rent a car for long trips because I don't want to tear up my MINI. Also, it is a CooperS model, which has no spare tire. Not good if you have a flat in rural Texas.

CD

Do you not get those cans that attach to your tyre inlet and squirts a foam into it to inflate enough to get you to a garage?? I know I had one for my bios many years ago!

Russ

Do you not get those cans that attach to your tyre inlet and squirts a foam into it to inflate enough to get you to a garage?? I know I had one for my bios many years ago!

Russ

The car came from the factory with run-flat tires. Car enthusiasts often call them run-rocks, because they have such hard sidewalls. Plus, they are really expensive.

I keep a tire plug kit in the car, which is fine for small punctures. But, won't help with a big cut, or blowout.

CD

The car came from the factory with run-flat tires. Car enthusiasts often call them run-rocks, because they have such hard sidewalls. Plus, they are really expensive.

I keep a tire plug kit in the car, which is fine for small punctures. But, won't help with a big cut, or blowout.

CD

Yeah I had a tyre go flat from a rock, the spare was flat for some reason, I only has 10 mins to safety at Arthur's pass. I decided to drive on a flat tyre, @ 5kph it took forever to get there, motel for the night, then get the garage guy to fit the spare up. I always check spare in pre holiday checks.

Russ

When I bought my car, it didn't come with a spare tire, either, which I didn't know. Every car I'd ever owned came with a spare. It was sort of like finding out your car didn't come with a brake pedal.

Anyway, had I known, I could have ordered one when I ordered the car, for $90, as an add-on. Because I didn't, I had to pay nearly $300 for one, and install it myself.

Nice car. I briefly considered one of those at my last car change. It was the Countryman model (station wagon?). However, no amount of man-maths could overcome the fact that I couldn't fit much kit in it, and it wasn't best suited to muddy farm tracks. I may be wrong, but I think I remember that The Velvet Curtain has one. Run flats best replaced by regular tyres.

Approx 4-5 kg of blackcurrants to bag up and freeze. Belly pork to take out of wet cure and slice and vac pack with some duck fat ready for sous vide for 72 hours.

Put the last tray of oven dried tomatoes in the oven about an hour ago. The remainder of the tomatoes will be going in a big pot of basic tomato sauce that I'll start later today, besides cooking dinner. Maybe I'll make the banana pudding tonight.

Nice car. I briefly considered one of those at my last car change. It was the Countryman model (station wagon?). However, no amount of man-maths could overcome the fact that I couldn't fit much kit in it, and it wasn't best suited to muddy farm tracks. I may be wrong, but I think I remember that The Velvet Curtain has one. Run flats best replaced by regular tyres.

I love my MINI. My previous cars were Audis and a Mercedes. The Audis were fast, the MINI is just a little ball of fun on wheels.

BTW, you can get 440 pounds of charcoal in a MINI CooperS. Psycho-poodle was impressed.

MINIking005.jpg

CD

Last edited:

Yeah, run flats suck. I bought good, high performance tires, and just figure I'll either have to plug a flat myself, or call a tow truck. I'm not going to spend well over a thousand bucks for Flintstones tires.

CD

I love my MINI. My previous cars were Audis and a Mercedes. The Audis were fast, the MINI is just a little ball of fun on wheels.

BTW, you can get 440 pounds of charcoal in a MINI CooperS. Psycho-poodle was impressed.

View attachment 43655

CD
My last toy was an Audi, a retro 90's model. I had a clear out of my toy chest a couple of years ago, including an Austin Healey Sprite the same age as me, and a Ford Explorer (yes, a Yank motor!). Today the toy chest is bare, and likely to remain so for the time being.

Another of Bob's cock ups today. He arranged for us to play snooker in the golf course clubhouse, they have one table. Unfortunately we discovered that the cloth has a 300mm rip in it around the blue spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom