Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This evening we are going to our local pub for the cheese club Christmas dinner-the pub provide the 1st 2 courses and the 3rd course is the cheese board, much merriment will be made :hungry: :cheers:

31F/-1C this morning, with very little warm-up predicted. Windy and overcast.

Getting my hair cut today, which includes the shoulder, scalp, and face massage. I'll stop on the way down and buy my stylist friend a bottle of port for her Boxing Day gift (I won't see her again until January :(), and a cookie tray for the office staff from our local German bakers. I'll also pick up an assortment of German baked treats for ourselves.

Once I get home...tree decorating!

We don't have those in the UK to my knowledge - well I'm 99% sure that the shelters only put down incurably ill animals.
Good to read.
If a particular animal is featured in a movie and becomes popular suddenly the shelters get overwhelmed with them.
People get them then have second thoughts when the blush wears off.
Make one loose faith in people.

Good to read.
If a particular animal is featured in a movie and becomes popular suddenly the shelters get overwhelmed with them.
People get them then have second thoughts when the blush wears off.
Make one loose faith in people.

Back in the late '70's, arctic blue foxes were the fad. Once people realized that they don't take to potty training and have a musky odor, shelters were swamped with them, as I recall.

My original plans for today have been canceled. I was going to go celebrate my birthday with a friend at an Indian buffet a few towns away, and take in a museum.

But I have a slow leak in one tire, and have to take it to the shop - and all the tires need to be replaced, as the treads are not doing well. I replaced the food with a car appointment. We thought about another museum for after...

Which I am going to have to cancel/postpone as well, as the roads will be slippery downhill into the town (normally 35 minutes away). It's mostly rural roads until I hit the outskirts of town. And as I noted, the tires currently are not up to that task.

This is my bedroom view this morning: The object in front is a storage/beverage cart. The object in back is the coop and run. I cleaned up around there yesterday, but overnight - a lot more snow during the dark sleeping hours.

snow dec 3 bedroom to coop-medium.jpg

Morning, December 2, my outdoor dining area on the deck - the first storm....

snow dec 2.jpg

It did some light snow all day on the 2nd, on and off, maybe another inch or so. (2.5 cm)

Then, this morning, the 3rd: Same location, although I took it in "portrait" - as you can now see, the top of that umbrella stand is now covered. This is around two feet of total snowfall.

snow dec 3.jpg

I should be plowed out by noonish - but the roads won't be safe. I could get to the weekly community dinner two miles away, but the idea of the planned Pasta "Carbonara" does not remotely appeal, especially not as a celebratory food. The cook there makes truly unappetizing Italian foods - overcooked noodles, and downhill from there. I'll be cooking here.

I enjoy cooking, but I'd hoped to get out and about and socialize and have some fun.

My friend and I have rescheduled for Friday.

The drive from Dallas to Houston and back sucks. Long, straight Interstate (motorway?) with big trucks (lorries?) everywhere, and truck tire carcases to dodge. At the holidays, the road is full of cars with drivers who seldom do long trips, and they are clueless.

I started the trip home on Sunday, and after three hours, I'd gone a little over a 100 miles. I saw a nice looking hotel, got a room, went out for a decent meal and some drinks, and finished the drive today. The highway was practically empty today, and the drivers were people who drive a lot of miles on a regular basis. No wrecks.

It is kind of like air travel on holidays. The airports are full of people who have no idea how to get through security. I fly about 100 flights a year, so I have it down to an art -- along with all the other frequent flyers.

CD

I worked it out a few years ago, I've driven over 3 million kms over my life, unscathed. I've been lucky. Hardly travel that much now. Life's slowing down. Dropping grandson at school in 2 mins. Enjoy your night!

Russ

Picking up rental things for daughter, she's due here tomorrow after hip replacement . Then organising baby sitter for grandson. We have dinner club tonight. Last for the year so we go a bit up market. I'll have the lasagne ....again. It's the only place that makes it better than me. By a real Italian.
If you want to giggle it
Tutto bene restaurant.
Then early home to put grandson to bed. It's busy here!!

Russ

I worked it out a few years ago, I've driven over 3 million kms over my life, unscathed. I've been lucky. Hardly travel that much now. Life's slowing down. Dropping grandson at school in 2 mins. Enjoy your night!

Russ

Keep in mind that the State of Texas has about six-times the population of New Zealand. Houston and Dallas alone have more people than New Zealand. Mass transit between major cities in Texas is basically non-existent. Everyone drives almost everywhere here. Holidays are a nightmare.

CD

Bit of a late start today, booked holiday so taking it slow. I intend to spend some time working on my wasgij.

Keep in mind that the State of Texas has about six-times the population of New Zealand. Houston and Dallas alone have more people than New Zealand. Mass transit between major cities in Texas is basically non-existent. Everyone drives almost everywhere here. Holidays are a nightmare.

CD
My wife used to work with a girl from Texas. She wouldn't walk a step if she could drive. We used to laugh because her office was right across the street from her dorm, and it wasn't even a proper street, more like an alley.

There were angled parking spots in from of both buildings, and in the morning, she'd plop into her car, then reverse it across the alley into an open spot in front of her office. She'd do the same in the afternoon when she got off work.

The whole operation would take about 15 seconds, but suggest that she walk it, she'd say say, "I don't pay $300 a month for a car just to walk somewhere!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom