Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are just about ready to go out then wife informs we we have to,wait, some guy from her work is coming to see if our wall between lounge and kitchen has a load bearing wall. We want to open the wall up so there's more room for the kids when they come here. We need to open it up on the left hand side.

Russ

View attachment 49149
Russers from the thickness of the wall and door frame lintel I would guess it is. I would have an RSJ put in either way.

I'm an ex league player.
Big B to the left of me and 6ft 4" Lurch in the red jkt were both on Leigh's books when younger. They both had a history, Lurch's Dad was a notorious armed robber. They both were very hard working and loyal employees.
1603687466541.png

Thanks for that, I'm thinking over next few days of doing it myself now. The builder said he didn't think it was load bearing.

Russ

Go up in the attic. If the wall runs in the same direction as the ceiling joists, it's not likely to be load bearing -- highly unlikely, in fact. If the ceiling joists run perpendicular to the wall, it is probably load bearing.

I would still put a header in, even if it is not load bearing. It will give you a more solid wall. If you have the tools, and the skills, by all means do it yourself.

Make sure you poke holes in the wall first, to check for wires that you may not know are there. If you cut into one, it will ruin your day, at the least. :ohmy:

CD

Go up in the attic. If the wall runs in the same direction as the ceiling joists, it's not likely to be load bearing -- highly unlikely, in fact. If the ceiling joists run perpendicular to the wall, it is probably load bearing.

I would still put a header in, even if it is not load bearing. It will give you a more solid wall. If you have the tools, and the skills, by all means do it yourself.

Make sure you poke holes in the wall first, to check for wires that you may not know are there. If you cut into one, it will ruin your day, at the least. :ohmy:

CD

It's downstairs and upstairs is directly over this area. So no access. I showed him outside where two huge beams went up the wall. He's certain it will be ok. ???

Russ

CD

Yeah electrics the silent killer, that's why I'm 50/50 on doing it myself. It may be easier to pay a guy?

Russ

It's downstairs and upstairs is directly over this area. So no access. I showed him outside where two huge beams went up the wall. He's certain it will be ok. ???

Russ

Do you have a stud finder? You really need to know which way those second floor joists run.

A for the electrics, just mark the opening with masking tape, and knock holes in the wall board with a hammer, so you can see what's inside.

I've actually done this at a friends old house, and it was not difficult. We used some half-inch plywood between the two pieces of lumber to make the header -- I believe they were 2X10s (it was definitely a load bearing wall).

CD

It’s raining cats and dogs this morning, so every plan that involved running or walking has been deleted.
I’m in another smart working day, cooking something for lunch, and if I’ll find any desire I might make a focaccia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom