Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to say...why? :)
Well, it was interesting.

I posted a while back that local chain pizza that's my favorite (Cassano's) and they're know for their very unique crust - extremely thin and sort of half-chewy/half-crispy.

While looking for other stuff, I randomly landed on a clone recipe for Cassano's crust, and reading through it, was intrigued by the no-yeast (so no rise) aspect. It's basically flour, water, baking powder, and salt.

So I tried it out.

It's not a good clone of Cassano's, but what it does taste like is a cheap frozen supermarket pizza or one of those cheap box kits, like Chef Boy-Are-Dee.

I'm going to make it again and see if I can't make a minor change here and there and get it a little more Cassano's-like. One big plus about it, it's fast to throw together. Mix the four ingredients, let it sit 10 minutes, and it's ready to bake. My usual "fast" dough still takes about an hour before it's ready to bake, so I'd like to get something working with this one.

I posted a while back that local chain pizza that's my favorite (Cassano's) and they're know for their very unique crust - extremely thin and sort of half-chewy/half-crispy.

Having looked at some photos from Cassano's I wouldn't be tempted. Interesting that the topping extends right to the edge. Very strange to me! What is the dough texture like?

Cassano's Super Deluxe:

1619363602198.png

The baking powder would make it rise a bit.
It did, not unlike a flatbread that puffs a little. Next time, I'm going to dock it a bit and see how that works.

Having looked at some photos from Cassano's I wouldn't be tempted. Interesting that the topping extends right to the edge. Very strange to me! What is the dough texture like?

Cassano's Super Deluxe:

View attachment 61992
It's a little hard to describe. It falls into the "cracker crust" category of pizza styles, but it's not truly like a cracker, nor is it as dry as other cracker crust-style pizzas (for comparison, Pizza Hut's Thin 'N' Crispy is also nominally a cracker crust style pizza).

It's got some slight bubbling across the top...maybe I'd say it's more like a cracker that's a bit oily and slightly denser - it's flaky, but it still retains some chew, and it's very thin, maybe 1/8" (3mm) tops.

The toppings and sauce all the way to the edge, that's indicative of more than one style of pizza here (Detroit-style immediately springs to mind) - it allows any cheese at the edges to cook and caramelize a bit, and is highly sought after, like the cooked bit of cheese at the bottom of a fondue pot. It's not unusual for some people to leave the bready "naked" edge of some pizzas behind, but the edge of a Cassano's pizza...never. The cheese cooks out and the oil from the cheese runs over it and crisps up the edge. It's wonderful. Pan pizza is normally done the same way here - cheese and sauce (especially cheese) right to the edge.

Actually, the closest I've made to a Cassano's pizza is when I make tortilla pizzas for lunch - super thin because the tortilla doesn't rise, of course, and the sauce and cheese is purposely spread to the edge.

That's not as "spread to the edge" as I usually manage, because I was trying to do two in the skillet at the same time, so it got a little crowded.

Done the weekly shop, now waiting in for a new lawn mower to be delivered. I really should stop showering my wife with gifts.

About 20 years ago I bought my wife a top of the range key start push lawn mower, about $400????
From memory, we used it for about 6 months then our son asked to borrow it. Havnt seen it since. He replaced it about 10 years later.
I've had a guy do them since.

Russ

I'm trying to decide whether to go fishing tonight.
The low tide is about half past 10 so that means get there for half 7, means leave here at 6.15.
Give it about 1 hour after lot water, half 11.... Walk back to car, 11.45,. Drive home... Be back about 1.
Problem is the fishing has been terrible for weeks and usually picks up around end of the month so I might be wasting my time.
Weather doesn't look bad though so it might be nice.
Ooh decisions decisions.

I'm trying to decide whether to go fishing tonight.
The low tide is about half past 10 so that means get there for half 7, means leave here at 6.15.
Give it about 1 hour after lot water, half 11.... Walk back to car, 11.45,. Drive home... Be back about 1.
Problem is the fishing has been terrible for weeks and usually picks up around end of the month so I might be wasting my time.
Weather doesn't look bad though so it might be nice.
Ooh decisions decisions.

Where do you go fishing?

Time to give the garage its 10 yearly clean out. Wish me luck.

I really need to clean my garage. My car fits in just fine, but there's a lot of stuff I have to walk over if I want to tackle a project. I used to pride myself on my garage, but since Covid, it has become the thing I will deal with, "when I get around to it."

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom