Plating simple food as if it's gourmet cuisine!

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:04 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
http://www.eater.com/2015/3/27/8299677/chefjacqueslamerde-instagram-kitchen-plating-fast-junk-food

I saw this article recently and thought it was hilarious, as well as super creative.

The owner of the Instagram account essentially purchases either fast food or very simplistic ingredients from a supermarket or even petrol station convenience store, and plates them up as if they are high-end gourmet cuisine! I must admit I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw it - the meals look pretty fancy if I do say so myself!

Check it out - I thought it was very interesting!

That's something I only do when I have guests, which isn't too often even if I have a guest I don't usually have gourmet food to offer, but I try to make it seem special anyway. I hoce arranging appetizer plates especially.

I don't even get that fancy with plating when I have guests! This guy does a great job. Usually my plating techniques do not go much further than handing a clean plate to someone...we tend to do family style when we have people over!

http://www.eater.com/2015/3/27/8299677/chefjacqueslamerde-instagram-kitchen-plating-fast-junk-food

I saw this article recently and thought it was hilarious, as well as super creative.

The owner of the Instagram account essentially purchases either fast food or very simplistic ingredients from a supermarket or even petrol station convenience store, and plates them up as if they are high-end gourmet cuisine! I must admit I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw it - the meals look pretty fancy if I do say so myself!

Check it out - I thought it was very interesting!

Its amusing! Just goes to show how food can be a wolf in sheep's clothing (so to speak)! I do try to plate up in an aesthetically pleasing way, if possible and try to use colour as well as flavour in dishes. I hate it when food is served just 'brown' - I mean (like a recent experience I had in a curry house) there are brown coloured sauces on everything and brown coloured meat, and vegetables which have lost colour in the brown sauce, with no sign of green or red or yellow to offset.

It can be difficult to present home cooking in a 'chefy' style, when cooking family food at home, though! Most well presented high end restaurant dishes use a smaller amount of food on the plate - as the spoof examples in @cupcakechef's post demonstrate. Don't think my lot take kindly to small portions!

Sometimes I do that, especially if I'm broke and only have something plain and boring to eat. I'll cut my sandwich up into fancy triangles and make a "crescent of crisps" at the side of the plate. It's just my little way of trying to liven up a dish which I've got no enthusiasm for.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,in the same way food may be prepared with skill and plated more informally
Does it taste the same?,
Get a dish and call it deconstructed ,does it taste better ?
Shaping food in cutters on a plate ,keeping garnishes in odd numbers ,central height ,or do you put sauces on that can be used if required?
Do we eat with our eyes first? Is food a art ? Do we like the same art ?
Lots of ways of looking at food presentation
Good flavours ,well seasoned ,good products,you can go far wrong

If you mean by plating is the partitioning of the food so everybody can have an equal share, I guess that's just fine when you have the knack for creative arts. A friend chef said that presentation of the food is 50% and the taste another 50%. That means if we can give a good presentation of the food then the taste would not matter much, hahahaaa. We sometimes order food for delivery and the first thing we do is arrange in big plates like a buffet table so when we eat, the food would look delicious... even if not really.

These are funny, but it feels like there probably should've been more on the plates to be more accurate. However, that's probably just because my experience comes from working at a German Restaurant, and I'm told that everything there is made to be big; so it could just be that my perspective is off. However, for the most part, you can't tell that the food is from gas stations or likewise in the pictures, which is good. A few of them don't look very appetizing but again, it's a matter of perspective.

My mother is not only a good cook but very creative also when it comes to food presentation. Even there is no expected guests or visitors coming to the house she always want that she is serving our foods in the dining table with good presentation for every dish we had for a meal. That is why we are always excited to eat plus her cooking are really delicious. And what more if there is an occasion in the house the more our dining table looks amazing!

Making food beautiful is art. The sight of the food is what makes you want to eat it, the right colors and the smell of good food. Nice idea to have fun and eat good food.

Back
Top Bottom