Recipe Poached eggs, smoked salmon and caviar

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
12:11 PM
This is a great recipe for a special occasion or a brunch. In fact, this photo was taken when my youngest got engaged. It might look expensive to make, but you only need a small jar of "caviar" - 2 1/2 ozs - and the smallest packet of smoked salmon ( 3 1/2 ozs - 100 gms), and there will probably be enough left over for a quick pasta dish or a yummy bagel.
Ingredients ( Serves 4)
1 thick baguette, sliced horizontally and then into 4 pieces
1 small brick of cream cheese
1 tbsp finely diced red onion
2 tbsps fresh dill, chopped
A pinch of salt
8 large eggs
2.5 ozs Caviar
3.5 ozs smoked salmon
1 tbsp tiny capers
Freshly ground black pepper to serve
Method:
  1. Cut the baguette in two and then cut each half in two horizontally. The ideal baguette is not a long one, but a shorter, slightly "fatter" one so the filling doesn´t fall off.
  2. toast the baguette until barely browned, then set aside.
  3. Mix the cream cheese with the red onion, the dill and a pinch of salt until creamy. Spread liberally on each baguette.
  4. Poach the eggs. Now here´s a tip for making 8 eggs at once: line 8 teacups with cling film, leaving plenty of film outside the cup, and spread a little oil ( or melted butter) on the inside. Carefully crack the egg into the middle of each cup. Collect the four corners of each piece of film and seal together; you now have an egg inside each parcel of cling film. Bring some water to a simmer and carefully place each egg parcel into the hot water. Cook for 4 minutes. Remove the eggs.
  5. Carefully place two poached eggs on each slice of baguette and drape a few pieces of salmon on top. Add a tsp of caviar to each egg, then scatter a few capers on top. Finish with a grind of black pepper.
  6. Serve with mimosas - no recipe for them!

You can't really go wrong here - smoked salmon, caviar, poached eggs are a perfect combination. I like the dill and red onion in the cream cheese. I'm not sure about the capers on top since caviar is slightly salty and I also think that the two flavours might compete. I could be convinced though!

I love everything about this recipe. My favorite way to enjoy a bagel is with smoked salmon, onion, capers, and cream cheese. I also like the use of dill here. The baguette functions as a bagel here, even if it doesn’t go together the same way. That alone would make me happy.

But, then you add poached eggs - always welcome on my breakfast plate - and top it of with the salty pop of caviar. I do enjoy the saltiness, so that is not an issue with me whatsoever. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom