14 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
1 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut up
3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into eighths
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup apple juice

Directions
Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all.

Cover and cook on low until apples are tender, 4-5 hours.

Recipe courtesy of Taste Of Home

I like the addition of apples, I never thought of it. Does it merge the sauerness and sweetness, into a new taste, or can you taste both separately? I imagine it must be quite soft after 4-5 hours, just as it should be. Caraway seeds, I have read about adding those in some recipes, I would imagine it is a a welcome twist. What a good method and ingredient choice. I will surely try it out on the next occasion.

I like the addition of apples, I never thought of it. Does it merge the sauerness and sweetness, into a new taste, or can you taste both separately? I imagine it must be quite soft after 4-5 hours, just as it should be. Caraway seeds, I have read about adding those in some recipes, I would imagine it is a a welcome twist. What a good method and ingredient choice. I will surely try it out on the next occasion.
This is extremely sweet, and when I make kraut on my own, I use twice as much kraut, and half the apples and sugar (and I throw in an onion). It’s a combined flavor, though, and very good. Both my wife and I liked the extra boost of sweetness.

It was very soft, both the kraut and the sausage. The sausage came out with the same texture as a supermarket hot dog, no coarseness at all, and we both liked the change in texture.

The caraway seeds, most people leave them whole, but I always grind them. MrsT doesn’t like whole caraway seed, but she likes the flavor. If I weren’t following a recipe, I would have also cracked a couple of juniper berries and thrown them in there.

This is extremely sweet, and when I make kraut on my own, I use twice as much kraut, and half the apples and sugar (and I throw in an onion). It’s a combined flavor, though, and very good. Both my wife and I liked the extra boost of sweetness.

It was very soft, both the kraut and the sausage. The sausage came out with the same texture as a supermarket hot dog, no coarseness at all, and we both liked the change in texture.

The caraway seeds, most people leave them whole, but I always grind them. MrsT doesn’t like whole caraway seed, but she likes the flavor. If I weren’t following a recipe, I would have also cracked a couple of juniper berries and thrown them in there.
I think I might put half the apples, like you. I love sausages that are on the smooth side, and smoked, if available, just saying, generally speaking. Interesting hint to grind the caraway seeds. I like them on buns, so I might like them in this dish too. Juniper berries, wow, I never tried those, but it is a bit bitter, gin like is it not? They must carry a special aroma, don't they?

I think I might put half the apples, like you. I love sausages that are on the smooth side, and smoked, if available, just saying, generally speaking. Interesting hint to grind the caraway seeds. I like them on buns, so I might like them in this dish too. Juniper berries, wow, I never tried those, but it is a bit bitter, gin like is it not? They must carry a special aroma, don't they?
The sausage I used was smoked and fully cooked, so it really only needed heating, but I wanted it to sit in the kraut for a while, and that helped it come out really soft. Some people, no doubt, would like it a little more firm, but we both liked it fine - very tender.

Personally, I love caraway seeds, whole or ground, and I used to have to leave them out of things because MrsT would always complain. It took me years to realize she wasn’t complaining about the flavor, but the form of it. Since then, I’ve always ground them up. Win-win!

To me (and not just me), it’s really not kraut unless it has a few juniper berries in it. I keep them on hand, and about the only thing I use them in is kraut, and I still manage to go through a bottle every so often.

Pick them out at the end, though…they’re a harsh taste on their own.

The sausage I used was smoked and fully cooked, so it really only needed heating, but I wanted it to sit in the kraut for a while, and that helped it come out really soft. Some people, no doubt, would like it a little more firm, but we both liked it fine - very tender.

Personally, I love caraway seeds, whole or ground, and I used to have to leave them out of things because MrsT would always complain. It took me years to realize she wasn’t complaining about the flavor, but the form of it. Since then, I’ve always ground them up. Win-win!

To me (and not just me), it’s really not kraut unless it has a few juniper berries in it. I keep them on hand, and about the only thing I use them in is kraut, and I still manage to go through a bottle every so often.

Pick them out at the end, though…they’re a harsh taste on their own.
That is so interesting, To me, bay leaves and possibly onion and garlic are the flavour additions I have used so far in Kraut dishes...Caraway seeds, I have used on cottage cheese and I totally liked their flavour (and on buns of course).
What a good idea to ground the seeds for MrsT.
I do similar moves for my kid. From time to time.

Back
Top Bottom