Recipe Pollo con Membrillo Frito y Caramelizado, Chips de Maíz Azul y Amarillo con Salsa de Membrillo

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
6:30 AM
I had started a thread asking about Quince https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/quince.11663/ and thanks to the replies to that thread, I have brainstormed a recipe which really turned out quite surprising since it does not follow any particular convention for preparing quince, except to use a sweetener. Given that one member stated that a lot of quince originates from the Extremadura region of Spain, I pursued a spanish theme or perhaps, a Latin American theme. The ingredients are along those lines.

The title of this thread and recipe is rather lengthy and in Spanish to suite the theme. It translates as follows: "Chicken with Fried and Caramelized Quince, Blue and Yellow Corn Chips with Quince Salsa. Yes, that's a mouthful (as you shall see).

Quince02.png

Recipe:

1 Quince
1.25 cups of Sun Dried Tomato in Olive Oil
0.25 cups of a light cooking oil (I used a Canola/Soy Oil blend)
Water as needed
4 to 5 Chicken Fritter Strips
1 to 2 cups of a mix of Blue and Yellow Strone Ground Corn Chips (unsalted preferred)
0.75 cup of a Syrup Sweetener (I used Blue Agave Syrup)

Optional:

1 Banana

Procedure:

Start on the previous day of the intended meal serving.

Cut the Quince in half from top to bottom.

Quince03.png

Slice on half of the Quince into half moon shaped chips.

Quince04.png

Set that aside in a Tupperware bowl and refrigerate.

Slice the second half of the Quince in the same way, but then proceed to dice it up for the salsa.

Quince05.png

Place the Chicken strips in a baking pan.

Quince08.png

Add about 1/4 cup of the Syrup Sweetener as a Marinade, covering all sides of each fritter strip.

I considered using 3 syrups, molasses, 100% maple syrup or Blue Agave Syrup.

Quince01.png

In keeping with the Spanish theme for this recipe, I settled on Blue Agave.

Refrigerate the marinaded chicken over night.

We now prepare the salsa.

In a frying pan at about 275 degrees, place the diced portion of the Quince and just cover with water. Boil the Quince until it is just soft but still retains some body. You may have to add more water as it is reduced by bleeding off steam. Drain off the remaining water and add about 1/4 cup of the syrup sweetener. Heat to caramelize the diced quince, turning and stirring occasionally.

Quince06.png

Collect the caramelized quince in a Tupperware bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. When cool add about 1/4 cup of julienne cut sun dried tomato in its olive oil base.

Quince07.png

Dice up and add banana, if preferred (right image).

Refrigerate the salsa over night.

On the night that the meal is to be served, oven bake the marinated chicken and in a frying pan, add about 1/4 cup of cooking oil. Evenly place the half moon shaped quince slices in the pan and fry them, turning them over occasionally. As the chips brown, remove heat and drain off the oil. Add about 1/4 cup of the syrup sweetener and restore the heat to caramelize the chips, flipping them as necessary.

Quince09.png

Place the baked chicken and the caramelized chips on a serving dish. Add both blue and yellow stone ground corn chips and a couple spoonfuls of the cold salsa. Serve.

Quince10.png

After the meal, I had some Spanish cheese - Iberico.

Quince11.png

Comments: I noted a couple things: 1) this was fantastically sweet delicious, 2) because the salsa was cold and the rest of the meal was hot, I recommend serving the chips and salsa first as an appetizer and then serve the quince chips and chicken as the main entree. Keep the salsa in a bowl to prevent the olive oil from the sun dried tomato from running.

Enjoy.

Additional comment: I had intended to use Brisa (Goat Meat), shredded, for this meal, but could not find it in local markets. There's no reason not to relabel this menu as "Brisa con Membrillo Frito y Caramelizado, Chips de Maíz Azul y Amarillo con Salsa de Membrillo."

Truly interesting, and lovely photos. Quite laborious ! Exemplary job ..

However, in all honesty, it is quite a " Southern Californian Mexican " dish ( except for the sun dried tomatoes which could be Italian or Southern Californian ).

Some Facts about Iberian Products:
There is no Blue Agave in Spain, as we do not produce it and it is only available as an import on very tiny scale in Mexican Markets, and Molasses is 100 % Candian as we do not have this hardwood tree & it is a very expensive ítem ( 48 Euros for a tiny tin or can and it is only sold in health food stores for remedies in nutrition ) and the corn chips are not Spanish either ! And the Maple Syrup is from the Usa or Canada ..

I have never seen this Brand ( Iberico ) of cheese as it is for exporting.. It is goat, sheep and cow .. We have 100 Designation of Origins of Cheeses or appellations as they are also known ..

Most are 100% goat or 100% sheep or 100% cow .. We are also large producers of blue cheese and aged cheeses such as Manchego 100 % ewe milk.

However, in all honesty, it is quite a " Southern Californian Mexican " dish ( except for the sun dried tomatoes which could be Italian or Southern Californian ).

There is no Blue Agave in Spain, as we do not produce it and it is only available as an import on very tiny scale in Mexican Markets, and Molasses is 100 % Candian as we do not have this hardwood tree & it is a very expensive ítem ( 48 Euros for a tiny tin or can and it is only sold in health food stores for remedies in nutrition ) and the corn chips are not Spanish either ! And the Maple Syrup is from the Usa or Canada ..

I have never seen this Brand ( Iberico ) of cheese as it is for exporting.. It is goat, sheep and cow .. We have 100 Designation of Origins of Cheeses or appellations as they are also known ..

Most are 100% goat or 100% sheep or 100% cow .. We are also large producers of blue cheese and aged cheeses such as Manchego 100 % ewe milk.

I think you have pure maple syrup and molasses mixed up. Molasses is a product made from sugar cane.

Yes, I agree. First, with so much of Central and Southwest North American having formerly been colonized by Spain, I had no idea how much of the native foods and cuisine may have been brought back to Spain. It is sometimes easy for me to associate Latin American cooking with Spanish, no offense intended to anyone and I hope by saying so that I have not offended.

The beauty of the Americas is the confluence of cultures, from languages to cuisines. The diversity of foods and restaurants is truly to be fully appreciated. I don't believe that I have any particular cultural affiliation when it comes to cooking and embrace them all as I do the rest of that diversity which makes my nation and the Americas such a marvel of variety.

Molasses is derived from cane sugar and its roots are Caribbean, not Canadian. Maple syrup may be associated with Canada, but the sap of Sugar Maples has long been harvested across the US border in the Northeast as well. I was looking for something to caramelize and did not want to use granulated sugars. Agave Syrup which comes from Mexico primarily was best suited to the theme.

BTW: It was stated that much Quince is exported from Spain to Mexico and Latin America. The connection is a strong one.

I don't know much about Iberico, except that I like it. Manchego is available here and I could have chose it.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

I love it when we hack our way through uncharted territory, like a jungle explorer, and find paths to something great. This, to me, is cooking at its very best and most exciting.

I really do appreciate this comment as it is often what I try to achieve - something new and creative. I do appreciate this forum as a stimulant to that end. And likewise, I appreciate the feed back. I hope we all share with that regard.

I'd be most interested.

I'm now cross because I cooked it for a dinner party dish on Saturday at my friend's but I didn't photograph it (too dark). I had all the ingredients and brought them home thinking I'd re-create the recipe, photograph and post it here. Today I looked at the remaining cooked quince and it has gone mouldy!

I did use another batch earlier in December and I think I posted the photo (not the recipe). The dish I made was a riff on the one below Very little quince involved as it is just there as counterpoint. They are the 3 little brown cubes. In the dish I did in Saturday I used iberico ham, pickled black radish, caper berries and pea shoot as well as the balsamic glazed garlic in the photo.

I cooked the quince very low and slow for several hours with star anise until it reached this colour.

20171202_134437.jpg

I really do appreciate this comment as it is often what I try to achieve - something new and creative. I do appreciate this forum as a stimulant to that end. And likewise, I appreciate the feed back. I hope we all share with that regard.

I feel very much the same - for me this forum is a place to explore, discover and experiment with hopefully like minded people. I get so excited when folk post ideas which are original and creative. Each day for me is a cooking adventure! I think your recipe is very lovely and different and I intend to cook it if I can lay my hands on any more quinces (they are a bit scarce in these parts!).

Back
Top Bottom