Pollution in the oceans and rivers

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:38 AM
Mod edit: new thread started

I grew up in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. Produce in that area was always iffy but fresh seafood was abundant.

When I was young, I felt safe eating seafood from that body of water. But many years of the contaminated Mississippi River waters flowing into the gulf, the rapid expansion of residential communities along the gulf cosst further polluting the waters, and the major BP oil fiasco with the dispersement chemicals released into the gulf in an attempt to counteract some of the damage--all of this has left me less confident in the gulf's ssuperiority in clean waters and seafood to other bodies of water around the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. Produce in that area was always iffy but fresh seafood was abundant.

When I was young, I felt safe eating seafood from that body of water. But many years of the contaminated Mississippi River waters flowing into the gulf, the rapid expansion of residential communities along the gulf cosst further polluting the waters, and the major BP oil fiasco with the dispersement chemicals released into the gulf in an attempt to counteract some of the damage--all of this has left me less confident in the gulf's ssuperiority in clean waters and seafood to other bodies of water around the world.

Water, silt and pollutants from the Mississippi go West when they get to the Gulf of Mexico.

It is mostly silt. That's why Florida panhandle beaches have white sand, and Texas beaches have grey sand.

The pollutants are mostly fertilizer (nitrogen) from Midwestern farms, but those farmers are actually doing things to reduce that. A bunch of them were flown down to go out on boats with fishermen, to the "Dead Zones" South of Louisiana and Texas, and went back North to spread the word. It was a pretty cool story.

Midwestern farmers working to reverse Gulf dead zone - UPI.com

CD

...the rapid expansion of residential communities along the gulf cosst further polluting the waters, and the major BP oil fiasco with the dispersement chemicals released into the gulf in an attempt to counteract some of the damage--all of this has left me less confident in the gulf's ssuperiority in clean waters and seafood to other bodies of water around the world.
After Ian and Nicole, experts warn of health risks from blue-green algae

That's inland waterways, but it's getting into the gulf and adding to red tide.

Red tide is becoming a major issue on Florida’s west coast.

Last edited:
I have to say, I have never gotten sick from wild caught Florida east coast, Gulf of Mexico, or Caribbean seafood. I can't say that for seafood from Asian countries, whether it be farmed or wild caught.

We don't buy farmed seafood as a rule, though I'm sure we have eaten it in restaurants, although we rarely eat seafood out. In EPCOT at Disney World, there is a ride that takes you through part of their hydroponic gardens and aquaculture. They use the products in some of the restaurants on the property. Even back years ago, because i haven't been in quite a while, the tubes holding the fish shown on the ride were a bit scummy looking and the water was a bit dirty looking. Disney back then was known for keeping things pristine in the parks. Can you imagine what fish farms not open to the public look like? Farmed fish are given antibiotics to prevent infection since they are kept in such crowded conditions and who knows what other chemicals are put in the water.

Most people in South Florida that fish in canals or other inland water bodies practice catch and release because of pollutants in the water. Even when we used to go out in the Everglades for Craig to fish (I would read), he always released. Before we downsized, we lived on a lake. A neighbor had stocked the lake with peacock bass he had caught while fishing in the Everglades. Craig would go out back and fish. I don't know how many times he caught the male and female that had mated and had a nest on a shallow ledge on part of our property, and released them. It was funny, every time somebody was at the water's edge, the male would swim on top of the ledge following you to keep an eye on what you were doing.

There is a fish kill, red tide incident ongoing within last couple of days that is affecting beaches in SW Florida that is red tide related. It's in the general area where hurricane Ian made landfall and south. I had been thinking about getting a bag of oysters, but it's been so hot, unseasonably warm as we've been in mid to high 80s F, when it should be high 70s to mid 80s at most, but usually low 80s. This morning, we had already met recorded high for today at 9 a.m. So, oysters have been put off for now.

I know chemical run off is a huge part of the water problem, but it certainly doesn't help that temperatures overall are apparently rising, even though an outspoken faction claims there is no such thing as global warming.

I know chemical run off is a huge part of the water problem, but it certainly doesn't help that temperatures overall are apparently rising, even though an outspoken faction claims there is no such thing as global warming.

Nitrogen from midwestern farms are the biggest issue in the Gulf waters off the Texas coast, where a lot of shrimp are fished. The nitrogen feeds algae, and you get algae blloms that consume all the oxygen in the water, so fish and shrimp can't live there. As I mentioned before, Midwest farmers are improving their practices, but it will take a while for them to be phased in completely.

CD

Last edited:
Nitrogen from midwestern farms are the biggest issue in the Gulf waters off the Texas coast, where a lot of shrimp are fished. The nitrogen feeds algae, and you get algae bllomst hat consume all the oxygen in the water, so fish and shrimp can't live there. As I mentioned before, Midwest farmers are improving their practices, but it will take a while for them to be phased in completely.

CD

I can read and have been aware of the dangers of chemical run off for years since we had a huge alge bloom in the lake behind our house over 20 years ago from run off due to our homeowners over fertilizing their yards, but thank you for reiterating.

Red tides very, very, very rarely occur in cold water, thus, the reason for the rising temperatures comment.

I can read and have been aware of the dangers of chemical run off for years since we had a huge alge bloom in the lake behind our house over 20 years ago from run off due to our homeowners over fertilizing their yards, but thank you for reiterating.

Red tides very, very, very rarely occur in cold water, thus, the reason for the rising temperatures comment.

Um, I hope you didn't think I was arguing with you. Merely adding to your comment. In Florida waters, red tide has become an issue. Algea blooms are the big thing for Texas and Louisiana. And I definitely agree that rising temperatures are contributing -- not just to red tide and blooms, but to these hurricanes in the Gulf that lately have been going from weak storms to Cat4 hurricanes in a few short days. Gulf waters are a lot warmer than they used to be.

CD

I feel awful about all of that, and concerned too. But I'm also burnt out on it. There's barely anything left that's not poluted or bad for you in some way or another, and if it's not bad for you it's bad for someone/something else.
I eat fish, knowing these risks. I eat veg from the soil here, which is the most polluted in Europe. Honestly, I don't know what I personally can do. I used to be quite active about it in my vegetarian years, but I've left that because I had to (due tot the ileostomy and Crohns) and also because I don't see how what I do makes a huge difference.
All we can hope for is constructive, international policy to preserve nature. I would vote for that.

Back
Top Bottom