Recipe Pontack

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:43 AM
Another recipe which uses allspice. Pontack is a very old English recipe for a savoury sauce (some say its a little like Worcestershire sauce). It very 'in season' here as it is made from Elderberries. It keeps for years (apparently). Its served mainly with game. But I can't see why it wouldn't work with other foods. If you are interested in the history of this sauce there is a website where you can also purchase it ready-made:
http://www.pontack.co.uk/history.html

INGREDIENTS
  • 500g Elderberries (washed and stalks removed)
  • 250ml White wine vinegar
  • 250ml Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Red onion chopped
  • 15g fresh root ginger bruised
  • 1tsp ground Allspice
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 170g Demarara sugar
METHOD
Put all the ingredients, apart from the sugar, into a heavy based saucepan and cook on a low heat for 2 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh seive into a clean pan, squashing as much through as possible. Add the sugar and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes and pour into sterilised bottles or jars.

Have had pontack before but the connection with balsamic is unusual,the spices are quite traditional the red onion is not unusual!bordeaux is still a distance from Italy and Defoe Is a name from the Channel Islands ,with those dates food has been interesting for centuries ,but you needed money

Have had pontack before but the connection with balsamic is unusual,the spices are quite traditional the red onion is not unusual!bordeaux is still a distance from Italy and Defoe Is a name from the Channel Islands ,with those dates food has been interesting for centuries ,but you needed money
The recipe seems to vary. There isn't a definitive one - but they all seem to contain allspice! I found another one which uses red wine vinegar not balsamic. Didn't understand what you mean re Italy and Defoe... Perhaps I should find Pam Corbin's recipe (River Cottage preserves expert).

Pam Corbin's version of Pontack.

Makes 1 x 350ml bottle

500g elderberries
500ml cider vinegar
200g shallots, sliced
6 cloves
4 allspice berries
1 blade of mace
1 tbsp black peppercorns
15g root ginger bruised

Place elderberries in dish with vinegar put in very low oven for 4-6 hrs or overnight. Remove strain through seive, crush berries to obtain max juice.
Put juice in a pan with sliced shallots, spices and ginger. Bring back to boil and cook for 20-25 mins until slightly reduced. Remove from heat and strain.
Return to pan and bring back to boil then boil for 5 mins. Pour into warm sterilised bottles and seal. Store in a dark cupboard and enjoy.

@morning glory excellent - thanks for the cross-reference

A footnote to this ….origin of name - Pontack's was the name of a famous restaurant in Lombard Street. And it was also suggested that you should store the sauce for seven years before using....how long did you keep yours before trying it?

@morning glory excellent - thanks for the cross-reference

A footnote to this ….origin of name - Pontack's was the name of a famous restaurant in Lombard Street. And it was also suggested that you should store the sauce for seven years before using....how long did you keep yours before trying it?

:oops: I have never made it! I think I was researching recipes containing allspice and came across it. I really ought to....

Back
Top Bottom