Recipe Poor Man´s Pâté

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
9:08 PM
No picture for this, because I only make it when I´ve got a load of friends round for drinks. It´s so simple, it´s ridiculous - but it´s just great with a plateful of bread and some good wine!
Ingredients
100 gms almonds, skin and all
4-5 anchovy fillets
Black pepper to taste
Olive oil - as much as is needed to emulsify
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Method
  1. Lightly toast the almonds in a dry frying pan, then remove and crush (just put them in a tea towel, cover, and whack several times with a heavy saucepan)
  2. Put the almonds into a food processor with the anchovies, black pepper, cayenne and olive oil. Pulse several times until the mixture begins to come together, adding a little more olive oil every time, until you ´ve got a pâté type texture.
  3. Spread elegantly on your finest Rosenthal china, surrounded with exotic micro-greens and hard,red winter wheat toast points...NAH! Just stick it in a little bowl and eat it with bread.:woot::woot:

Like almonds.
:D:D:D:D

Yeah - I know. Lots of people don´t like anchovies - me, personally, I can snaffle them straight out of the tin.
OK - but here´s the thing. It´s umami that the anchovies bring, so I´d try it with powdered mushroom - or even Marmite/Vegemite.
I wouldn't know where to find marmite or vegemite in the US. Maybe powdered mushroom...

I wouldn't know where to find marmite or vegemite in the US. Maybe powdered mushroom...
You can use whole mushrooms like cremini and saute in butter and allow them to become very browned adding some brandy and reducing until fairly dry. Allow to come to room temperature. Add these to a blender and add whole cold butter until the mixture resembles a smooth puree. You will need to scrap down the sides repeatedly unless it comes with a stick that allows you to probe the ingredients like a vitamix.

This mixture I use in a mushroom pasta that acts like a cream sauce without actually adding cream, but if mixed in with the almonds it will resemble a pate and should work well. The butter and brandy never hurt a pate either. And of course you'll need to season because the anchovies are omitted.

Hopefully KK doesn't mind me sticking my nose in here. :whistling:

You can use whole mushrooms like cremini and saute in butter and allow them to become very browned adding some brandy and reducing until fairly dry. Allow to come to room temperature. Add these to a blender and add whole cold butter until the mixture resembles a smooth puree. You will need to scrap down the sides repeatedly unless it comes with a stick that allows you to probe the ingredients like a vitamix.

This mixture I use in a mushroom pasta that acts like a cream sauce without actually adding cream, but if mixed in with the almonds it will resemble a pate and should work well. The butter and brandy never hurt a pate either. And of course you'll need to season because the anchovies are omitted.

Hopefully KK doesn't mind me sticking my nose in here. :whistling:
No, I was thinking along the same lines. I've got a food processor and a silicone spatula. No brandy on hand but not hard to find.

Hey, this is Poor Man´s Pâté. When you´re poor, you use what ever is available.:D:D:D:D
I imagine this "recipe" is very flexible - and yes, I love the idea of sardines - makes it almost Portuguese.
As for the mushroom - just a suggestion, really.
I wouldn't know where to find marmite or vegemite in the US
Saw it in Jungle Jim´s last Thursday!!

No brandy on hand but not hard to find.
I´ve got some right here. Bought it 3 years ago to make something, then forgot about it!
If you haven´t got it, I´d probably leave it out. Bourbon or Scotch doesn´t seem to work so well with mushrooms. Gin is too perfumed and vodka adds nothing. Soy sauce, or some soy derivative (teriyaki?) might work just as well.

No, I was thinking along the same lines. I've got a food processor and a silicone spatula. No brandy on hand but not hard to find.
Not sure a food processor will do the job, but you never know. Come to think about it, it really doesn't need to be a puree and a little course might actually work better, no, actually that would work better with this recipe. You can omit brandy.

No picture for this, because I only make it when I´ve got a load of friends round for drinks. It´s so simple, it´s ridiculous - but it´s just great with a plateful of bread and some good wine!
Ingredients
100 gms almonds, skin and all
4-5 anchovy fillets
Black pepper to taste
Olive oil - as much as is needed to emulsify
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Method
  1. Lightly toast the almonds in a dry frying pan, then remove and crush (just put them in a tea towel, cover, and whack several times with a heavy saucepan)
  2. Put the almonds into a food processor with the anchovies, black pepper, cayenne and olive oil. Pulse several times until the mixture begins to come together, adding a little more olive oil every time, until you ´ve got a pâté type texture.
  3. Spread elegantly on your finest Rosenthal china, surrounded with exotic micro-greens and hard,red winter wheat toast points...NAH! Just stick it in a little bowl and eat it with bread.:woot::woot:
karadekoolaid
I love it just the way it is - quick, easy and perfect for drop in guest. Good job.

Hey, this is Poor Man´s Pâté. When you´re poor, you use what ever is available.:D:D:D:D
I imagine this "recipe" is very flexible - and yes, I love the idea of sardines - makes it almost Portuguese.
As for the mushroom - just a suggestion, really.

Saw it in Jungle Jim´s last Thursday!!
We don't have that store in NE Ohio. They have one down in the Columbus area, but that's a couple of hours from me. Might be able to find it online...

Not sure a food processor will do the job, but you never know. Come to think about it, it really doesn't need to be a puree and a little course might actually work better, no, actually that would work better with this recipe. You can omit brandy.
My food processor works really well for making a smooth hummus, figured it could probably work well with shrooms.

JAS_OH1
Go girl! You can find anything online.
garlichead
I have a 2 cup food processor attachment for my immersion blender. I love it because I don't have to haul the Big Mamma out of the cabinet. I have yet to find anything that I can not chop, mince or puree as long as the volume is not more than 2 cups. I use it to make a very creamy Hummus, mayonnaise and to chop veggies for cooking. I do have to take Big Mamma out for chicken liver pate because of the volume.

Back
Top Bottom