Recipe Poor Man´s Pâté

JAS_OH1
Go girl! You can find anything online.
garlichead
I have a 2 cup food processor attachment for my immersion blender. I love it because I don't have to haul the Big Mamma out of the cabinet. I have yet to find anything that I can not chop, mince or puree as long as the volume is not more than 2 cups. I use it to make a very creamy Hummus, mayonnaise and to chop veggies for cooking. I do have to take Big Mamma out for chicken liver pate because of the volume.
I have a little food processor and a "big mamma" too, LOL. I also have an immersion blender. I suspect whirring mushrooms might be messy with that, though.

JAS_OH1
My processor is an attachment that came with my my immersion blender. The body (motor part) of the immersion blender attaches to the lid of the mini processor. The processor is a closed environment. No mess. Don't sweat the small stuff. Use what you have. I only brought up the small processor to illustrate the power of even small machines.

JAS_OH1
My processor is an attachment that came with my my immersion blender. The body (motor part) of the immersion blender attaches to the lid of the mini processor. The processor is a closed environment. No mess. Don't sweat the small stuff. Use what you have. I only brought up the small processor to illustrate the power of even small machines.
Right, I gathered that when you said it was an attachment. I love gadgets, LOL.

We don't have that store in NE Ohio. They have one down in the Columbus area, but that's a couple of hours from me. Might be able to find it online...
If you mean Jungle Jim's, there are two location, but both in the greater Cincy area. The original (and larger and IMO better) one is in Fairfield, a bit north of the city, and the newer one (a bit smaller, but still very nice), is in Eastgate, just (wait for it) east of the city.

As luck and roads would have it, I live virtually exactly the same distance from either one, and though I prefer the original location, I've been going to the newer one the last couple of years because I like the drive better.

I'm actually scheduled to go there on Dec 11th. Time to stock up on tea, get my standing rib roast for Christmas Day, and buy a bunch of imported Christmas stuff. Yay!

If you mean Jungle Jim's, there are two location, but both in the greater Cincy area. The original (and larger and IMO better) one is in Fairfield, a bit north of the city, and the newer one (a bit smaller, but still very nice), is in Eastgate, just (wait for it) east of the city.

As luck and roads would have it, I live virtually exactly the same distance from either one, and though I prefer the original location, I've been going to the newer one the last couple of years because I like the drive better.

I'm actually scheduled to go there on Dec 11th. Time to stock up on tea, get my standing rib roast for Christmas Day, and buy a bunch of imported Christmas stuff. Yay!
I had to do recall project work there about 7 years ago, I couldn't remember if it was Columbus or Cincinnati. Cool store though.

You can use whole mushrooms like cremini and saute in butter and allow them to become very browned adding some brandy and reducing until fairly dry. Allow to come to room temperature. Add these to a blender and add whole cold butter until the mixture resembles a smooth puree. You will need to scrap down the sides repeatedly unless it comes with a stick that allows you to probe the ingredients like a vitamix.

This mixture I use in a mushroom pasta that acts like a cream sauce without actually adding cream, but if mixed in with the almonds it will resemble a pate and should work well. The butter and brandy never hurt a pate either. And of course you'll need to season because the anchovies are omitted.

Hopefully KK doesn't mind me sticking my nose in here. :whistling:

Coincidental you should mention this because I came up with a recipe for 'paté' which uses mushrooms, anchovies and brandy: 'The Lady's Relish'

I also used this as a pasta sauce: Recipe - Linguine with The Lady's Relish

The title is a riff on the famous 'The Gentleman's Relish' which you may know of. karadekoolaid will certainly know of it.

Sorry - veering off topic somewhat.

Last edited:
Coincidental you should mention this because I came up with a recipe for 'paté' which uses mushrooms, anchovies and brandy: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/the-lady’s-relish.14121/

I also used this as a pasta sauce: Recipe - Linguine with The Lady's Relish

The title is a riff on the famous 'The Gentleman's Relish' which you may know of. karadekoolaid will certainly know of it.

Sorry - veering off topic somewhat.
I came up with this technique for a vegetarian mushroom pasta and I wanted a creamy sauce without adding cream and it works perfectly.

As for alternatives to the umami of the anchovies, how about truffle powder? It's also not the same effect as awesomeness of anchovies, but it's a good alternative if you don't like them:
41+OFsTwoXL.jpg

My theory about people not liking anchovies is that a lot of them don't like how slimy they are. But, that's caused by the oil. Base the oil, anchovies are salt bombs, which I also love. But, actually, there are also fresh water (Spanish) anchovies that are a lot like sardines.

Hey...now, what was the original topic of this thread? :laugh: Oh, yeah...the recipe.

No need to picture a pate...I've found that the picture of a pate is really about the plate, the table, the crackers or bread, and the garnish, which are all meant to distract from how bland a pate looks. I like the simplicity of this. But, does it end up being chunky because of the nuts? Or, were you able to get it smoothed out by keeping it in the food processor long enough?

Back
Top Bottom