Porchetta

Wow! No one makes this? How can you go wrong with pork loin wrapped in pork belly and roasted.:okay:

Nope, it's either pork belly only or pork belly wrapped around a pork loin, seasoned with a mixture of some kind of citrus zest, usually lemon, spices and/or herbs of crushed red pepper, fennel seeds and/or fronds, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and 1 or more of sage, rosemary, thyme. You roll it up, tie it, and bake for several hours. Some people remove the skin from the belly prior to the seasoning, some don't. If left in place, skin is scored, then rubbed with baking powder to help it crisp and caramelize. Some people brine the belly and loin before seasoning, some don't. It's one of those recipes that every family has their own way of doing.

Besides eating it fresh out of the oven, we portion leftovers out for sliders with caramelized onions and gruyere, with a vege mix mayo (a recipe we got from Andrew Zimmern, absolutely delish), and a pizza topping after being thinly sliced with fresh moz and usually sauteed leeks with either ricotta salata or pecorino romano.

Nope, it's either pork belly only or pork belly wrapped around a pork loin, seasoned with a mixture of some kind of citrus zest, usually lemon, spices and/or herbs of crushed red pepper, fennel seeds and/or fronds, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and 1 or more of sage, rosemary, thyme.

Sounds delicious. I like the idea of the outside being 'crackling'. One to try - if only there were more meat eaters in my house!

Nope, it's either pork belly only or pork belly wrapped around a pork loin, seasoned with a mixture of some kind of citrus zest, usually lemon, spices and/or herbs of crushed red pepper, fennel seeds and/or fronds, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and 1 or more of sage, rosemary, thyme. You roll it up, tie it, and bake for several hours. Some people remove the skin from the belly prior to the seasoning, some don't. If left in place, skin is scored, then rubbed with baking powder to help it crisp and caramelize. Some people brine the belly and loin before seasoning, some don't. It's one of those recipes that every family has their own way of doing.

Besides eating it fresh out of the oven, we portion leftovers out for sliders with caramelized onions and gruyere, with a vege mix mayo (a recipe we got from Andrew Zimmern, absolutely delish), and a pizza topping after being thinly sliced with fresh moz and usually sauteed leeks with either ricotta salata or pecorino romano.
I just found this post when searching for porchetta recipes. I am going to have a go at cooking this on Sunday. Do you have any tips for making it with pork belly only? I am particularly interested in how to prep/roll it, and cooking times.

I just found this post when searching for porchetta recipes. I am going to have a go at cooking this on Sunday. Do you have any tips for making it with pork belly only? I am particularly interested in how to prep/roll it, and cooking times.

I always do it with a loin and a belly, but this Serious Eats recipe uses a belly only and basically the same spice mix (I use all listed but the sage) and I also use lemon or orange zest in the same proportion as the other spices. The recipe also has good instructions for the prep. Notice, however, that this needs to be prepped 1-3 days ahead, which is pretty much standard for porchetta.

Thanks for bringing this up and reminding me of the slider recipe. I think that will be going on our menu for next week.

I always do it with a loin and a belly, but this Serious Eats recipe uses a belly only and basically the same spice mix (I use all listed but the sage) and I also use lemon or orange zest in the same proportion as the other spices. The recipe also has good instructions for the prep. Notice, however, that this needs to be prepped 1-3 days ahead, which is pretty much standard for porchetta.

Thanks for bringing this up and reminding me of the slider recipe. I think that will be going on our menu for next week.
Thank you for the info. The only thing I can’t get my head around is that it appears that the rolling would result in a layer of skin inside the roulade that would not crisp up or break down with such a short cooking time.

Thank you for the info. The only thing I can’t get my head around is that it appears that the rolling would result in a layer of skin inside the roulade that would not crisp up or break down with such a short cooking time.

I was thinking that too, but Serious Eats has always been a reliable site and tests their recipes. However, with that said, I was thinking I might do a "pre roll" and take the skin off the inside part as I was reading the recipe.

I was thinking that too, but Serious Eats has always been a reliable site and tests their recipes. However, with that said, I was thinking I might do a "pre roll" and take the skin off the inside part as I was reading the recipe.
That was my conclusion too!

Back
Top Bottom