1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TB minced fresh rosemary
1 TB kosher salt, or more to taste
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3-1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C). Brush a baking dish with olive oil.
Whisk tomato paste, vinegar, honey, mashed anchovy, green onions, garlic, rosemary, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper together in a large bowl to make the agrodolce.
Cut pork shoulder into roughly 3-inch pieces. Add to the bowl of agrodolce and mix by hand until coated. Transfer pork and sauce to the prepared baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, flipping pieces over halfway through, until pork is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Add a splash of water if pork appears too dry. Skim off fat as desired.

Recipe courtesy of FoodWishes.com

Chef John is a legend lol. I love the look of this recipe and i happen to have some 15yr balsamic right now, but not sure I want to use it in a dish like this because it's expensive as hell and the nuance will probably get lost. Why do recipes in general always call for 1 anchovy fillet, come on, if you want some umami add more or some fish sauce....anyway I can taste this right through the screen. Cheers.

EDIT TO ADD: this dish is not covered in the oven?

EDIT TO ADD: this dish is not covered in the oven?
Nope, uncovered. I added that to the directions.

Here’s my anchovy story: I don’t like anchovies. I hate them, but I also know that when they cook down, they lose a lot of that strong flavor.

I always make a recipe exactly as written the first time, so I can judge whether I like it or not, before making any changes or tossing it out, so I bought some dreaded anchovies.

When it came time to do the deed, I put on gloves, held my breath, opened the tin, and snaked out the smallest one I could, mashed it up, threw it in there, then looked at the tin and said, “Self, you really should save these and figure out something else to do with them.”

Then my other self said, “Self, get real. You’ll put these in a container in the fridge, they’ll sit for three months, then you’ll throw out the container and all, because you won’t want to open it. Just toss them now and save yourself the trouble.” :laugh:

Nope, uncovered. I added that to the directions.

Here’s my anchovy story: I don’t like anchovies. I hate them, but I also know that when they cook down, they lose a lot of that strong flavor.

I always make a recipe exactly as written the first time, so I can judge whether I like it or not, before making any changes or tossing it out, so I bought some dreaded anchovies.

When it came time to do the deed, I put on gloves, held my breath, opened the tin, and snaked out the smallest one I could, mashed it up, threw it in there, then looked at the tin and said, “Self, you really should save these and figure out something else to do with them.”

Then my other self said, “Self, get real. You’ll put these in a container in the fridge, they’ll sit for three months, then you’ll throw out the container and all, because you won’t want to open it. Just toss them now and save yourself the trouble.” :laugh:
I don't personally like to just pop them in my mouth but if I don't add 3 or 4 fillets to Caesar Salad, death is on the line and I would never forgive myself of such a blunder. :laugh:

I don't personally like to just pop them in my mouth but if I don't add 3 or 4 fillets to Caesar Salad, death is on the line and I would never forgive myself of such a blunder. :laugh:
I get around that by not making Caesar Salad at home. I only order it out, and as long as I don't know what's going on in the kitchen, I can convince myself they've opted to leave it out. :laugh:

Agrodolce is Italian for bittersweet. The sweet is provided by the tomato paste, so it's not as sweet as some agrodolce recipes I've seen (which use honey), and I think that's a good thing. I'm impressed that it cooked that long in the oven and was still moist.

Back
Top Bottom