Recipe Pork Cassoulet

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:10 AM
Pork Cassoulet is a French classic dish. There are many many versions out there and I make no claim to authenticity. This recipe is simple to make and the vinegar adds a good counterpoint to the rich meat. Use the best sausages you can find. Serve with crusty French bread to mop up the gravy.

20170703_190543.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 pork shoulder steaks
2 pork sausages
2 rashers of smoked bacon
1 large carrot (chopped into chunks)
1 large parsnip (chopped into chunks)
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 pt pork or chicken stock
2 tsp dried mixed herbs (or use a bouquet garni)
3/4 of 400g tin of haricot beans
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt to taste
5 red peppercorns
To garnish:
A few pickled red peppercorns
Chopped parsley

Method
  1. Brown the pork steaks in a little oil.
  2. Cut the sausages into chunks and brown in the same pan.
  3. Chop the bacon and fry for a few minutes in the same pan.
  4. Place all the ingredients in an oven proof dish.
  5. Bake, covered at 180C for 1 hr 30 mins. Add salt to taste.
  6. Garnish with chopped parsley and a few red peppercorns. Serve with crusty bread.

Last edited:
Pork Cassoulet is a French classic dish. There are many many versions out there and I make no claim to authenticity. This recipe is simple to make and the vinegar adds a good counterpoint to the rich meat. Use the best sausages you can find. Serve with crusty French bread to mop up the gravy.

View attachment 9420

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 pork shoulder steaks
2 pork sausages
2 rashers of smoked bacon
1 large carrot (chopped into chunks)
1 large parsnip (chopped into chunks)
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 pt pork or chicken stock
2 tsp dried mixed herbs (or use a bouquet garni)
3/4 of 400g tin of haricot beans
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt to taste
5 red peppercorns
To garnish:
A few pickled red peppercorns
Chopped parsley

Method
  1. Brown the pork steaks in a little oil.
  2. Cut the sausages into chunks and brown in the same pan.
  3. Chop the bacon and fry for a few minutes in the same pan.
  4. Place all the ingredients in an oven proof dish.
  5. Bake, covered at 180C for 1 hr 30 mins. Add salt to taste.
  6. Garnish with chopped parsley and a few red peppercorns. Serve with crusty bread.

Mouth watering, definitely mouth watering. Great pic as usual!

@morning glory

Exceptional surely & wonderful photography ..

My mom in law ( she is French ) makes Cassoulet in the late autumn and Winter once in awhile ..

Have a nice evening ..

Last edited:
I was just thinking that I didn't put garlic in this Cassoulet. I am sure that Cassoulet is meant to have garlic - but I didn't miss it. The red peppercorns add a nice twist on traditional recipes.

I was just thinking that I didn't put garlic in this Cassoulet. I am sure that Cassoulet is meant to have garlic - but I didn't miss it. The red peppercorns add a nice twist on traditional recipes.
I was going to put garlic in it anyway...I'm struggling to think of a savory recipe where I wouldn't add garlic, regardless of the recipe I'm using as a base. I wasn't born in Italy, but my father's blood still runs through my veins. :laugh:

Additional note - the 'gravy' is not meant to be thick - hence the need for bread to mop. But if the dish seems too liquid you can take off the lid after the first hour to reduce it. I honestly can't remember if I needed to do that!

@morning glory

My mom in law does not use garlic .. nor my Mom ..

Onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf, wine, black peppercorns, salt, leeks, veal marrow bones, turnips, thyme, and herbes de provence and the meats and of course the stock / broth ..

Her récipe is from the Provençal región ..

That is interesting - perhaps I was right after all!

@morning glory

When I had seen your post for the 1st time, I had called my Mom in law and my Mom !

Traditionally speaking garlic is not used in this classic.

However, if you like garlic you can try a minced clove and see if you prefer it .. In my opinión, I think it would take away from the delicateness of your parsnips and the other veggies .. and over power the spicy sausages and other meats ..

Back
Top Bottom