Recipe Pork Chili Verde

AgileMJOLNIR

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
1:59 PM
Made a yummy Chili Verde over the weekend with some homemade tortillas. I just ended up roasting the peppers under the broiler and simmering for close to 3hrs. It packed a really nice flavor with a little of that Tomatillo tang.

Tortillas were made from a fine Heirloom Red corn masa and cooked over a Comal. I like to dabble with different corn types and this really hit the spot for me and is always a great tool for soaking up that last bit of sauce.

06ED96A7-7E2A-46D2-8544-DF6F9C75B386.jpeg

E45834F0-AE41-4C0F-9673-0D2D2777B6D4.jpeg

B69B298D-6260-4025-8E70-A4384E58B984.jpeg

Ingredients​

• 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos
  • 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
  • 2 jalapeños, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
  • 2 Anaheim or Poblano chiles, optional
  • 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 3 1/2 to 4 pounds pork shoulder (also called pork butt), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 to 2-inch cubes
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock

Method​

Prepare the tomatillos
Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well.

Roast the tomatillos, garlic
Cut in half and place cut side down, along with 5 unpeeled garlic cloves, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin. Remove from oven, let cool enough to handle.
If you want the additional flavor of chilies other than jalapenos, you can add a couple Anaheim or poblano chiles. Either use canned green chiles or roast fresh chilies over a gas flame or under the broiler until blackened all around. Let cool in a bag, remove the skin, seeds, and stem.

Purée tomatillos with garlic, jalapeño, cilantro
Place tomatillos, skins included, into blender. Remove the now roasted garlic cloves from their skins, add them to the blender. Add chopped Jalapeño peppers, other chilies (if you are using them), and cilantro to the blender. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.

Sear pork on all sides
Season the pork cubes generously with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat and brown pork chunks well on all sides. Work in batches so that the pork is not crowded in the pan and has a better chance to brown well. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, lift pork out of pan and place in bowl, set aside.

Sauté onions and garlic
Pour off excess fat, anything beyond a tablespoon, and place the onions and garlic in the same skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until limp, about 5 minutes.

Add pork, oregano, tomatillo sauce, stock, ground cloves
If your skillet is large enough to cook the entire batch of chile verde, with the sauce and meat, then add the pork back to the pan. If not, get a large soup pot and add the onion mixture and the pork to it. Add the oregano to the pan.

Add the tomatillo chile verde sauce to the pork and onions. Add the chicken stock (enough to cover the meat). Add a pinch of ground cloves. Add a little salt and pepper. (Not too much as the chile verde will continue to cook down and concentrate a bit.)

Simmer 2-3 hours
Bring to a boil and reduce to a slight simmer. Cook for 2-3 hours uncovered or until the pork is fork tender.
Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

Source: Simply

It does look good. Tomatillos are one thing I can't get here (unless tinned and they are expensive and have to be specially ordered). Is there a substitute?

It does look good. Tomatillos are one thing I can't get here (unless tinned and they are expensive and have to be specially ordered). Is there a substitute?
I did a quick Google and saw this, “For a tomatillo substitute, buy underripe tomatoes and add a squeeze of lime juice.” Tomatillos do have a Green Tomato flavor to them but I think a little sweeter. I might even make a mini batch using these to see how it turns out.

“For a tomatillo substitute, buy underripe tomatoes and add a squeeze of lime juice.” Tomatillos do have a Green Tomato flavor to them but I think a little sweeter
Yeah, I´d agree, that sounds about right. I grew tomatillos in my garden once and the flavour is distinctive. Difficult to put my finger on the exact flavour.

Back
Top Bottom