Pork tenderloin troubleshooting

Shelley226

Local time
12:32 PM
Hi everyone, first time post from a very amateur cook!
I cooked a Tom Kerridge pork tenderloin recipe tonight and had a bit of a problem with the pork so hoping someone could help me get it right! It was a 500g piece cut into 2 and marinated. Recipe said to sear in a high heat for 2/3 mins on all 4 sides and put in oven at 180 for 7 mins then rest for 4. When I took it out after the 7 mins it was still raw in the middle! Not just a bit pink, translucent raw pink. So popped it back in for another 5 mins and it was still raw, another 5 and it was majorly overcooked 🙈 would the 4 mins rest the first time have made all the difference? It just seemed to have gone from raw to tough in the space of a few mins. Never cooked pork before. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me

would the 4 mins rest the first time have made all the difference? It just seemed to have gone from raw to tough in the space of a few mins.

I think the resting time is very important. I can't vouch for it but I think it would have been OK if you had taken it out and rested it as the recipe says. Having said this, ovens can be variable so its a difficult thing. Its possible that in your oven it would need a little longer cooking. But the resting is very important.

I think if you'd taken it out the second time (after you put it back in for five more minutes), tented it with some foil and let it rest, it would have been fine.

Ovens are picky creatures sometimes, and the best thing about pork tenderloin - if it's underdone, you can slice it into medallions and finish them in a frying pan. :)

You need to get an instant read probe thermometer, and go by internal temperature instead of time. When the tenderloin reaches 145F (about 63C) in the middle, pull it and let it rest. That should give you something just barely pinkish, and moist.

CD

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll give it another few goes see how I get on. Just seemed to go from raw to overcooked very quickly lol. And the frying pan trick is a good idea! I'll invest in a thermometer as well. I'll pop a pic on if it works out better next time 🤣🤣

Nope, it was still there and I cooked it 🤣🤣🤣

Not a major "Fail." The siverskin remains chewy, even after cooking. Considering how you slice pork tenderloin, you are not getting a lot of silverskin in each bite, but it is still better to slice it off before cooking.

Get an instant read probe thermometer, and use it on all your meats. They are cheap -- I paid about 15 bucks US for mine at a discount store. Every piece of meat cooks at its own pace. Cooking time is more of an "estimate." You need to go by internal temperature.

CD

Back
Top Bottom