Pork, Whats Your Pleasure?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:44 AM
How do you use pork and what is a go to dish. Most of our sausage making is with pork. Obviously BBQ. We make green chili stew, Texican shredded pork, roasts of various kinds. Chops, ribs, bacon and pork belly. Do you think it is not used often enough as a main dish?

Love pork, hubby not so much. One dish he will eat - breaded and pan fried center loin chops then baked over a bed of dressing and smothered with gravy before serving along with with side of mashed. BBQ ribs are on my list of favs also - not so much for wet sauce but love the dry rubs and then slow cooked or smoked.

Pork is probably the most popular meat in our house - it such a versatile meal. Off the top of my head we regularly eat: bacon, sausages, koftas or burgers made from pork mince, roast pork (usually shoulder or belly, but occasionally leg), chops, loin steaks and pork belly slices.

I don't use it very often as I find it can be rather dry and tasteless. I sometimes make pork escalopes and also a Lancashire Hotpot type dish (which traditionally should be cooked with mutton). Whenever I cook pork loin fillet I end up disappointed as its dry and a bit tasteless. I must try sous-vide pork fillet....

For some reason, I find myself associating pork with South American / Mexican foods, and I mostly seem to make these things in warm weather months. In other words, it's time for me to get to it!

A recent favorite is pulled pork, which is so easy to make using a slow cooker. I also frequently grind a very lean pork into a sausage. And, one thing I haven't done in too long is making egg rolls and dumplings with pork...sometimes with ground pork, but also with shredded pork.

Whenever I cook pork loin fillet I end up disappointed as its dry and a bit tasteless.
I have also found the same thing. Likewise when it comes to pork chops. Burt, the above treatments are always flavorful, since I don't expect the pork to stand on its own. Even shredded pork means that I'm going to combine it with a sauce, or something like a pork Ropa Vieja.

I don't use it very often as I find it can be rather dry and tasteless. I sometimes make pork escalopes and also a Lancashire Hotpot type dish (which traditionally should be cooked with mutton). Whenever I cook pork loin fillet I end up disappointed as its dry and a bit tasteless. I must try sous-vide pork fillet....
Sous vide will transform pork from dry and tasteless to succulent and delicious.

Have you ever tried brining them? We have a recipe somewhere that uses beer and other things. They sit in the mixture for several hours, then are either grilled (preferred) or broiled. They stay moist even if you overcook them.

Pork is a favourite here and generally it is very good. Surprisingly much of our pork is imported from Malaysia (a basically Muslim country). The recent outbreak of swine ebola in China has not yet affected the price of pork here.

Both myself and my wife eat pork although my consumption covers a wider range of cuts.

Sausages, gammon, bacon, (grilled or fried), boiled ham, char siu, kebabs, moo grob (crispy pork), laarb moo (minced pork salad), pork balls, pork wontons, Scotch eggs, J.O.'s blackened pork (loin), pork ribs, stirred fried pork, roast pork (suckling pig), pork stuffing, pig's kidney, pig's liver, pork chops, sausage rolls, the list goes on.....

Last edited:
OK - I will try it. Do you add any ingredients to the vac-pac?
Minimal seasoning, Chinese five spice goes well. Cooking in a vac pac really concentrates seasonings (esp. garlic), so take it easy! I must look out my pork belly recipe - it's a three day process including brining and pressing, but the results are outstanding.

I adore pork pies - a UK speciality eaten cold. So this is the perfect opportunity for a Melton Mobray style home-made pork pie - since the CookingBites Dish of the Month is: Savoury Pies & Pasties.

I've never made one before... :ohmy:
Same here! I am on an eternal quest for the perfect pork pie. They are quite a big thing in this part of the world, many local butchers make their own, and there are some really good ones. I did have a go at making one a couple of years ago (I think I posted a photo). The hot crust pastry and the jelly worked fine, but I got the texture of the meat wrong.

I adore pork pies - a UK speciality eaten cold. So this is the perfect opportunity for a Melton Mobray style home-made pork pie - since the CookingBites Dish of the Month is: Savoury Pies & Pasties.

My mate brought me a four pack of MM pies over from M&S, Hong Kong. They were excellent.

That was a few years ago.

MM porkies with onions.jpg

Back
Top Bottom