Recipe Posole

cookieee

Local time
4:51 PM
DH wanted to make this recipe to use up some leftover pork. It is from one of the books from Cookbook Game #4, but I can't use it for the game because he didn't cook the pork per recipe. But he did make the Posole Pork Rub and coated the leftover pork in it. He also wanted to make this recipe because he knows how much I like hominy. Glad to say, the soup turned out to be very good.

Posole

1 4 lb. pork butt or shoulder
2 TB. Tabasco
1/2 cup Posole Pork Rub (recipe follows)
2 TB. olive oil
1 onion, sliced, grilled, pureed
1 head Caramelized Garlic, pureed
4 cups hot chicken stock or water
4 cups canned drained hominy
1 TB. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

1. Brush the pork on all sides with the Tabasco, rub with the Posole Pork Rub, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Prepare a smoker or grill to cook slowly for 8 to 10 hours, using chunks of mesquite. Smoke the pork until it pulls away from the bone, between 8 and 9 hours. Remove the pork from the smoker and let it rest for 1 hour before shredding the meat and discarding the bone.
3. In a large stockpot or soup kettle, heat the olive oil and cook the pork, onion, and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the hot stock and hominy and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve.

Posole Pork Rub

2 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. ground cumin
1 TB. black pepper
1 TB. garlic powder
1 TB. sweet paprika
1 TB. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

Source: "Adventures in Grilling" by George Hirsch-1996

This sounds delicious - not that I can make it as I have no suitable outdoor grill or smoker. Nor can we get hominy in the UK!

This sounds delicious - not that I can make it as I have no suitable outdoor grill or smoker. Nor can we get hominy in the UK!

You don't really need to smoke your pork butt/shoulder for posole. You can braise it. The key is low and slow, so it falls apart. If you braise it, cut it up and sear it first. Then put it in a dutch oven and braise it in the oven or on the stovetop -- whatever you usually do to braise meat.

Hominy is available in every store in Texas, and you can make it from dried corn, but it is a long and tedious process. Maybe you can find it online.

Posole is a good cold weather soup. It is very filling. As you can tell by the spices, it has a pretty complex flavor. You can make it without hot sauce, and put a variety of hot sauces on the table for everyone to decide how hot they want it.

When I make chili or gumbo or pozole, I go on mild side, and put a nice selection of hot sauces on the serving table. People appreciate that.

CD

Hominy is available in every store in Texas, and you can make it from dried corn, but it is a long and tedious process. Maybe you can find it online.

I looked and its stupidly expensive... I'm not a fan of corn at all but I do want to try hominy some time in case it changes my mind

I looked and its stupidly expensive... I'm not a fan of corn at all but I do want to try hominy some time in case it changes my mind

I wouldn't go out of your way to try hominy. It is really just a filler. You can get the basic taste of pozole substituting white beans for hominy. Just use the OP's recipe with a mild white bean (haricot or navy?).

CD

What, no chilis? You can sub potatoes for hominy. When I make green chili stew, I use potatoes in mine and hominy for Karen. If you use mesquite for smoke, be careful with that length of time. I'd use another wood along with it and maybe just add some mesquite for the first couple of hours.

I wouldn't go out of your way to try hominy. It is really just a filler. You can get the basic taste of pozole substituting white beans for hominy. Just use the OP's recipe with a mild white bean (haricot or navy?).

CD

Um, no, just no. White beans taste ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like hominy and it's not just a filler. Hominy cooked with the correct amount of salt, pepper and butter is great. Hominy is like grits in that you have to have proper seasoning to enjoy it.

morning glory did you try looking for dried hominy? I do remember you looking for canned hominy and it was like $5 or $6 for a can.

Last edited:
Mom fixed hominy a lot growing up. I love it. Potatoes or beans can copy the bulk, but not the taste. Lots of salt, pepper, and butter. YUM!

Um, no, just no. White beans taste ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like hominy and it's not just a filler. Hominy cooked with the correct amount of salt, pepper and butter is great. Hominy is like grits in that you have to have proper seasoning to enjoy it.

morning glory did you try looking for dried hominy? I do remember you looking for canned hominy and it was like $5 or $6 for a can.

The dried is expensive too. Does it really taste a lot different from other types of corn?

I heard somewhere that potatoes can be used a substitute for hominy. Is that true? :whistling:

CD

I don't eat potatoes in posole, hominy only, though white potatoes are at least neutral in flavor, beans aren't.

Besides that, and most importantly, posole is not posole without hominy, it's green chile stew (reference the post you are referring to). The hominy is what makes it posole. Look up the word posole/pozole if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
I know what pozole is. I was just trying to help out a forum member who can't get hominy at the local grocery store they way I can. Sometimes you can't get an ingredient, so you have to make less than ideal substitutions. White beans are pretty neutral to my taste buds, but potatoes should work just as well.

CD

So I have a choice of two packs of hominy - expensive I suppose compared to what you guys pay but I want to try it. Which do I order?

Back
Top Bottom