Post trapped in moderation

I posted a comment just now and the site returned "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors."

That post didn't return the said message.

That post didn't return the said message.

I just spotted it - for some reason it got trapped in the moderation queue - very odd. I've 'untrapped' it.

I reported it so SatNav can look at it. It may just be an odd glitch.

Last edited:
Sometimes, regular members' posts get trapped in moderation alongside a new member's posts (which are automatically moderated) - but in this case the post was on its own.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of which may have caused it is that the post contains Thai letters (in brackets). I know you have posted things like this many times before but @SatNavSaysStraightOn recently changed some moderation settings due to spammers getting through via the Media section. Its possible she changed the settings to moderate anything in foreign text.

If you want to test this - try sending a reply to this post which contains a word in Thai, to see if that gets trapped.

Sometimes, regular members' posts get trapped in moderation alongside a new member's posts (which are automatically moderated) - but in this case the post was on its own.

I wasn't complaining. Just pointing it out.

Moderation - ปริมาณที่พอเหมาะ

I didn't know Thais had a word for it!

[Mod. Edit - this test post was also caught in moderation]

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you weren't complaining. Its good that you raised it. Try sending a reply here containing Thai - if it gets through without moderation we can eliminate that as the cause.

The only thing I can think of which may have caused it is that the post contains Thai letters (in brackets). I know you have posted things like this many times before but @SatNavSaysStraightOn recently changed some moderation settings due to spammers getting through via the Media section. Its possible she changed the settings to moderate anything in foreign text.

If you want to test this - try sending a reply to this post which contains a word in Thai, to see if that gets trapped.

You appear to have hit the nail on the head!

It's nothing other than the site rules kicking in .
English language only.
Any non English script is automatically put into moderation. @morning glory just think about some of the Russian or Chinese spam we've had in Russian or Chinese. We've also had Arabic and whilst I can read basic Russian, not everyone can and the site rules are that anything with non Latin text in it is stopped to be checked by a human.

It's nothing other than the site rules kicking in .
English language only.
Any non English script is automatically put into moderation. @morning glory just think about some of the Russian or Chinese spam we've had in Russian or Chinese. We've also had Arabic and whilst I can read basic Russian, not everyone can and the site rules are that anything with non Latin text in it is stopped to be checked by a human.

I thought that at first - but I am pretty sure @Yorky had posted things in Thai many time before (he always translates it) and those posts have never been automatically put in moderation. So this seemed like a new thing happening.

Here are examples posted previously - #44 and here - #1. These two are just two examples. I think there are plenty more.

Maybe they were all caught in moderation but I'm pretty sure not. I think I would have reported them and remembered. And probably @Yorky would remember too if he had received notice that such posts were in moderation.

Is there a way to look and see if a post was 'in moderation'?

Last edited:
Maybe they were all caught in moderation but I'm pretty sure not. I think I would have reported them and remembered. And probably @Yorky would remember too if he had received notice that such posts were in moderation.

Yes, I would and they weren't. I only do it in an attempt to get the pronunciation right. I always have problems with pronunciation because I don't have a "singing voice".

It is to do with the length of the word more than anything else. There is a maximum number of permitted characters in certain non-latin text languages .

I don't wish to discuss the details here though, however, I have not made any changes and don't plan to because they are site wide settings affecting everyone including spammers and non-legitimate users of the site.

I'm afraid that Yorky will have to accept post moderation when this maximum is met. I can't see that it will be a major problem. Most of the time it will only add a few hours delay to any Pedy being authorised. Or it can be posted without the Thai phase and Yorky request it be added via a report.

Back
Top Bottom