Recipe Potato-free Gnocchi with Pistachio Flour

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:25 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Potato-free gnocchi, made only with water and flour and unlike potato-based gnocchi which are much softer, gnocchi made with water and flour remain pleasantly full-bodied and somewhat firm.

We made them by mixing two flours, the classic Italian 00 flour and Pistachio flour for a nutty aftertaste and a rustic texture.
They are easoned with a simple Taleggio cheese sauce.

Flour and water gnocchi are very popular in Southern Italy.

Serves 4, Preparation 40 mins, Cooking 5-6 mins

• 300 g Italian 00 milled flour / Plain Flour – with a little extra for dusting
  • 150 g Pistachio flour
  • 40 g grated Parmesan
  • Lukewarm water, 200 ml
  • Salt, a pinch
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a teaspoon
  • Taleggio cheese, 250 ml
  • Hot Milk, 80 ml
  • A pinch of nutmeg

Method

Place both the sieved flours in a bowl or on a working table, create the classic fountain: add a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of Evoo, grated Parmesan, a pinch of salt and slowly pour in the lukewarm water. Stir until you get a soft but easy dough to work and doesn’t stick to your hands.

Tip: there is also an alternative method for this step, which involves using the same amount of water and flour: bring to boil the water in a pot and, once it reaches boiling point, turn off the heat and pour in the flour, stirring quickly until a well-blended dough is obtained.
Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured pastry board and start kneading it for a couple of mins until it is smooth. Don’t overwork the dough.

Tip: Always work on a well-floured surface.
Leave it to rest for 30 minutes covered with a cling film. After this time, divide the dough into many sticks that you will cut into small pieces.

Shape your gnocchi now: you can make them ribbed using the classic gnocchi ruler or pass them on a fork, or simply cut them into chunks or even little balls called ‘chicche’.

Melt Taleggio cheese in 80 ml of milk, add a pinch of nutmeg, stir.

Drop Gnocchi a few at a time into a pan of boiling salted water, cook until they bob to the surface (in 1-2 mins), drain and sautéeing for 1 min in the Taleggio cheese sauce. Serve them with a sprinkle of minced Pistachio nuts.

Last edited:
This looks like a simple recipe, and it's not hard if you've made pasta before, but it's really brilliant. I was wondering about the consistency if you had used only pistachio flour, but you took care of that by blending it with 00.

Thank you, you’re always kind
I admit that I’ve thought about the chance to make them only with Pistachio flour, but I think it would have been like a sort of cream that necessarily would have needed of something else to bind like “normal” flour...
I’m wondering about mix pistachio flour and potatoes instead... mmm, something to investigate?

Back
Top Bottom