Recipe Potato & Red Grape Salad

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have been asked to write up my potato salad as a recipe which is rather difficult actually because it's one of those no quantities, just what you have, recipes. All I can tell you is that I add enough to make it look the way it is. Perhaps as the weather gets warmer here in Australia, I will make it again and try to work out some quantities.

This version is also vegan. It can be made with soya yoghurt and lemon juice, or my current preference which is pureed cashew nuts and lemon juice.
But it you want it with dairy, it started out life as a pot of crème fraiche or sour cream and large pot of Greek yoghurt. It does not need the lemon juice if you are using crème fraiche or sour cream.
It can easily Greek yoghurt and extra lemon juice alone, it is just one of those recipes. It is amenable to what is in the fridge and what you actually like.

Ingredients
salad potatoes (diced)
red/white onions (finely chopped)
red seedless grapes (halved)
green pepper (5mm dice)
spring onions (sliced)
mixed chopped nuts (though this time I used black and white sesame seeds)
soya cream (optional)
soya yoghurt
handful of chives (sliced)
lemon juice (to taste)

Method
  1. clean and chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces. This is a whatever your preferred size is job, and cook until just done. Drain and allow to cool.
  2. Add the onions, green pepper, spring onions, mixed chopped nut and the red grapes to a large serving bowl and mix.
  3. Prepare the dressing by mixing up the cream, yoghurt and lemon juice, plus the chives if using in a separate bowl. We usually went for the pot of sour cream (or soya cream with extra lemon juice), about 1/2 a large pot of yoghurt and half a lemon if using dairy and all of the lemon if dairy free which we are now.
  4. Add the potatoes to the serving bowl, mix in well, and then add the dressing to the potato mix and also mix well.
It was served with the following: various leaves (romaine hearts, then from the garden wild rocket, peppermint, sage, rosemary, parsley, thyme) raw carrots, cucumber, raw mushrooms, raw celery, sliced mango and homemade raw onion bread (recipe here:https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/raw-onion-bread.1721/) but there is no reason as to why you could not serve it with conventional bread or even suitable savoury crackers. The potato salad usually features chopped nuts, but I couldn't find any in the cupboard so had to improvise with the sesame seeds instead.

I also added a boiled egg each and then dressings as the person wants - caramelized red onion chutney (homemade), shop bought mayonnaise and wholegrain mustard and possibly some homemade hummus as well...

IMG_0560.JPG

I just love this! And it is very original and a great photo.

When I write up salad recipes I often don't include precise quantities of ingredients. People can suit themselves as to how much of each ingredient they add and they can see from the image of the dish how it should look.

It's something I have been making for well over 25 years. Just a collection of raw veg and a salad. I do the same with a rice salad as well but that has a vinaigrette dressing instead. It is also an anything or everything salad. I should probably make it soon as well and photo it. If I haven't already that is. Have you found anything like that? :D

Back
Top Bottom