Recipe Potatoes with Padrón peppers and black lime

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:47 PM
Spicy, smoky, sweet and sour is the best way I can describe this dish. It could be a Spanish dish except for the black lime, which comes from the middle East. Black limes (sometimes known as Persian limes) are whole dried limes. I find the best way to use them is to pierce them in a few places with the point of a sharp knife, so that they soften and flavour the dish as it cooks. Padrón peppers are mild chilli peppers which can be eaten whole. You could substitute shishito peppers which are similar in taste - or any other mild whole chillies.

This dish is very good served with fried eggs but you could serve it with rice or with grilled meat or fish.

Ingredients (serves 1-2)
225g small waxy new potatoes, halved (I used Charlotte potatoes)
½ large onion, chopped
Oil to fry
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
200g tinned chopped tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock
1 whole black dried lime (pierced in a few places with the tip of a sharp knife)
8 Padrón peppers
2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp hot chilli powder (or to taste)
Salt to taste
Mint leaves to garnish

Method
  1. Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.
  2. Gently fry the onion in a little vegetable oil until it becomes translucent. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a minute then add the potatoes, turmeric, tomatoes, stock and the whole black lime.
  3. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce reduces by a third.
  4. Whilst the sauce is reducing, char the Padrón peppers by placing them under a grill (broiler) or using a blow torch. Charring the peppers adds a lovely smoky flavour to the dish.
  5. Add sugar, hot chilli powder and salt to the sauce, to taste.
  6. Add the Padrón peppers to the sauce and simmer gently for a further 10 minutes. Add a little water if the sauce reduces too much.
  7. Serve sprinkled with torn mint leaves.

Ingredients (serves 1-2)
225g small waxy new potatoes, halved (I used Charlotte potatoes)
½ large onion, chopped
Oil to fry
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
200g tinned chopped tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock
1 whole black dried lime (pierced in a few places with the tip of a sharp knife)
8 Padrón peppers
2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp hot chilli powder (or to taste)
Salt to taste
Mint leaves to garnish

You made me do research. I think I have an idea what those three ingredients taste like.

CD

Looks great Morning - Its funny you posted this because I have some Black Limes I was thinking of using soon. I have a similiar dish I make either in a Dutch oven or a Tagine that makes great use of these Limes. They add a delicious sour flavor that I really enjoy. Love the picture as well!

Padrón peppers (pimentos padrão) are a common snack in Portugal, they're usually eaten just grilled and seasoned with salt, I never thought of cooking them in another way but this seems an awesome idea and it looks great!

Padrón peppers (pimentos padrão) are a common snack in Portugal, they're usually eaten just grilled and seasoned with salt, I never thought of cooking them in another way but this seems an awesome idea and it looks great!

I saw that when I looked them up. They are apparently mild 9 out of ten times, but one out of ten is HOT. Jalapeños can be that way, but it is more variable with them. I grow jalapeños, and most are hot, but some are like bell peppers, and some are HOT!!!

CD

Looks great Morning - Its funny you posted this because I have some Black Limes I was thinking of using soon. I have a similiar dish I make either in a Dutch oven or a Tagine that makes great use of these Limes. They add a delicious sour flavor that I really enjoy. Love the picture as well!

Thank you! Would love to see your dish

Padrón peppers (pimentos padrão) are a common snack in Portugal, they're usually eaten just grilled and seasoned with salt

Yes - I have done them that way too: Blistered Padrón peppers with green herb dip

They are apparently mild 9 out of ten times, but one out of ten is HOT.

That is said to be the case but I've yet to find a hot one. I'll keep looking!

I saw that when I looked them up. They are apparently mild 9 out of ten times, but one out of ten is HOT. Jalapeños can be that way, but it is more variable with them. I grow jalapeños, and most are hot, but some are like bell peppers, and some are HOT!!!

CD
Yes, we have a saying about this in Portugal, how some of them are spicy and some are not. It's untranslatable since it includes a play on the words "padrão" and "não" which rhyme in portuguese, but I promise it's really amusing 😀

CD

I eat spicy all the time and have a high tolerance for it. BUT there was this one time I cut up a Jalapeño and laced my sandwich with it. I took that first bite and my mouth burned like never before for a good 20min. I was coughing and drinking milk like crazy. That Jalapeño was HOT! Lol
I love eating them like that. Shishito’s as well but Padrón are my favorite.

I eat spicy all the time and have a high tolerance for it. BUT there was this one time I cut up a Jalapeño and laced my sandwich with it. I took that first bite and my mouth burned like never before for a good 20min. I was coughing and drinking milk like crazy. That Jalapeño was HOT! Lol

Weather plays a part. My early season jalapeños are usually mild, as the plants get more rain and cooler temperatures. In August/September, when it is very hot and very dry, the peppers are a lot hotter. I understand that is true of most hot chilis.

CD

Back
Top Bottom