Prawn cocktail and it's global variations

The Velvet Curtain

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:33 PM
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
Retro lunch today.

Prawn stars.

Amazingly simple, at least the sound of it. I'd gladly give it a try. It has this festive touch about it, I might do it for my birthday...

Found some lovely reading on retro dishes...fascinating!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Prawn stars.

Amazingly simple, at least the sound of it. I'd gladly give it a try. It has this festive touch about it, I might do it for my birthday...

Found some lovely reading on retro dishes...fascinating!

Thank you for the inspiration!
That's the one, prawn cocktail, it must be served in a cocktail glass to get the whole 1970s feel, and definitely white bread.

Personally I wouldn't use ketchup (too sweet) - I just mix mayonnaise, tomato puree (paste), pepper, tabasco and lemon juice. And no avocado; lettuce (or cabbage), tomato and cucumber are fine. A sprinkling of paprika is acceptable.
I've mentioned it before, but the best prawn cocktail I ever tasted was in Thailand, it was served with shredded white cabbage and of course the prawns were huge and day fresh.

That was the big thing to have at a swanky restaurant back in the 1960s in the US. The sauce is basically ketchup and horseradish. Always served in a martini glass.

CD

We always put a little Worcestershire and lime juice as well. I remember it was still in vogue into the early 70s when I was in my tweens. My favorite meal when parents decided on a fancy restaurant was shrimp cocktail and filet mignon.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't use ketchup (too sweet) - I just mix mayonnaise, tomato puree (paste), pepper, tabasco and lemon juice. And no avocado; lettuce (or cabbage), tomato and cucumber are fine. A sprinkling of paprika is acceptable.
Really? Amazing! I had some doubts about the ketchup, love tomato puree, yep, and the avocado is saved for another dish...

This would be shrimp cocktail here, equally retro:
View attachment 60533
I mean, that too looks stunning! I was ready to go out, so I somehow missed to comment on it then...All those prawns, scream:fancy!
And this particular photo is really good, the colour of the table cloth, the sauce speaks like, eat me right away...can hardly wait to try it.

Back
Top Bottom