Prawn Curry

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
2:55 PM
Freshwater prawns are quite good value here at the moment so I am experimenting.

Considering my love for Indian curries I have never actually prepared a prawn curry and consider it's about time.

I've checked in my Madhur and Mridula books but there is little and nothing that takes my fancy. I don't really trust recipes on the general internet so I was thinking if anyone in here has a tried and tested "standard" recipe which I could use could they let me know?

Freshwater prawns are quite good value here at the moment so I am experimenting.

Considering my love for Indian curries I have never actually prepared a prawn curry and consider it's about time.

I've checked in my Madhur and Mridula books but there is little and nothing that takes my fancy. I don't really trust recipes on the general internet so I was thinking if anyone in here has a tried and tested "standard" recipe which I could use could they let me know?
You haven't? I could have sworn I have seen some you posted here! I must be imagining things - you have certainly posted prawn dishes.... I'm sure I have some recipes.

Here is my basic recipe for fish or prawn curry sauce. But you know what, you could use almost any curry suce that you have made before and add a splash of fish sauce! The prawns you just add and cook for a few minutes at the end.

Curry sauce for fish or shellfish curry (for two)
Vegetable oil or ghee for cooking
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder (or more to taste)
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
Fresh chillies and fresh coriander (optional)
  • Gently fry the chopped onion in oil until softened (10 minutes)
  • Add the ginger and garlic and fry for a few minutes more. Add the fennel and mustard seeds and fry until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
  • Add the coriander, turmeric and chilli powder and stir to mix. Add the tomatoes and Thai fish sauce and mix. Cook the sauce gently, for ten minutes. Add water if the sauce becomes too thick.
  • Blend the sauce to a puree (optional - I used a stick blender).

On the other had there are Thai type prawn curries which use coconut milk, lemongrass etc. Personally I don't like them but there are lots of recipes out there. If you want something like that I could look in my Madhur books.

I have a number of prawn dishes that I make. However, I have not yet made an Indian prawn curry. I've had Thai seafood curry (obviously) but I am not keen on the coconut milk/cream which they all seem to include.

Here is my basic recipe for fish or prawn curry sauce. But you know what, you could use almost any curry suce that you have made before and add a splash of fish sauce! The prawns you just add and cook for a few minutes at the end.

I shall try that. It's not much different from my "normal" curry sauce anyway. I'll need to use black mustard seeds as I don't have yellow. Or could I use a lesser quantity of mustard powder?

I shall try that. It's not much different from my "normal" curry sauce anyway. I'll need to use black mustard seeds as I don't have yellow. Or could I use a lesser quantity of mustard powder?
Mustard powder might work better. But black mustard seeds might look pretty and add depth. The choice is yours. I will look up some Madhur tomorrow. I have a newish book of hers which I know has Prawn curries in it.

My wife obtained some freshwater prawns today. Not as large as the previous ones - Bht 285.00/kg (US$ 8.00). We've frozen them in 250 gm bags.

OK - I just consulted Madhur's Ultimate Curry Bible. Almost all contain coconut milk bar two.
One is Southern Malaysian Prawns which requires yellow bean sauce and oyster sauce. I wasn't sure if you can get those?
The other is Thai Prawns in green curry sauce - for which you require green curry paste (I'm assuming the shelves are full of it over there) and tamarind paste.
Not much point in my posting either unless you can get the ingredients/fancy them! Let me know. Meanwhile I will look elsewhere.

OK - I just consulted Madhur's Ultimate Curry Bible. Almost all contain coconut milk bar two.
One is Southern Malaysian Prawns which requires yellow bean sauce and oyster sauce. I wasn't sure if you can get those?
The other is Thai Prawns in green curry sauce - for which you require green curry paste (I'm assuming the shelves are full of it over there) and tamarind paste.
Not much point in my posting either unless you can get the ingredients/fancy them! Let me know. Meanwhile I will look elsewhere.

We have more curry pastes here than you could throw a stick at. But the Madhur recipe is more what I was looking for.

056.jpg

And we have our own tamarind trees out the back (not that we've ever made any tamarind paste out of them - but good for old lady gambling though)

Did you find a curry you were happy with?

I'm making an Indian banquet for guests next weekend.

I'm Thinking if I peel some green prawns & make a stock from the shells then incorporate this into the sauce then I could add the prawn meat right before serving, keeping them tender & still have a depth of seafood flavour

I'm making an Indian banquet for guests next weekend.
I stop in my tracks... I'm seriously impressed! A banquet?
Your idea about using the shells is 'bang on' IMHO - you'll get all that seafood flavour that is not attainable any other way.
But now I'm wanting to know about your banquet. Can you (would you please?) tell us more?

Back
Top Bottom