Prawn/Shrimp talk

Strictly speaking, there is a difference between shrimp and prawns.

Yes, they are different, but I think taxonomy went out the window many years ago, and now people call them whatever they grew up calling them. Yorky's photos of prawns could pass exactly for a photos of Gulf shrimp here.

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 7.14.50 PM.jpg

CD

Ah that's a good idea. I love tom yum and will try that. 👍

There's also a soupy noodle dish that folks refer to as 'Prawn Mee' which I might attempt as wel

My only problem with mee or nasi on the peninsular is when the restaurants fry them in palm oil. Not that I'm allergic to palm oil but I seriously dislike the taste.

Finally - prawn stock. What are you using yours for?

I boil up a big bunch of head and shells with some mirepoix when there are enough, but so far I only ever use it as stock for paella. What other imaginative uses do you have?

Cheers!

View attachment 69757
I make two types clear with the heads and shells. For seafood bisque I then blitz and pass to get a pink color. Other uses risotto

Most things I use shellfish or fish stock in I add a shot of
1629712128048.png

Last edited:
not sure about international and/or "other nations" requirements, but country of origin labeling for seafood gets a bit sticky in USA.
the country of origin is where the fishing boat/factory is registered, not where the fish is caught....

not sure about international and/or "other nations" requirements, but country of origin labeling for seafood gets a bit sticky in USA.
the country of origin is where the fishing boat/factory is registered, not where the fish is caught....

I'll have to look into that. But, I would think that if the package says "Wild Caught Gulf Shrimp," it would be illegal to put something other than that in the package. Besides, shrimping is such a huge industry along the Gulf coast, and that shrimp has to go somewhere.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 5.14.43 PM.jpg

CD

I went to the nearby wet market today and took these shots of one of the fishmonger stalls (there are 5 of them, but I usually go here):

Unfortunately today they didn't have the giant tiger prawns (they can be up to around 10"/25cm in length and cost USD equivalent of $40/KG).

In the top left are ocean caught wild prawns - still quite big - about 6 or 7" in length and cost $35/kg. Then going clockwise (ignoring the squid) you can see smaller sizes of the wild ones. The bottom left are farmed and are about $20/kg.

IMG_8996.jpg

Across the aisle they have more farmed prawns of differing sizes and they also put yesterday's prawns over here which you can get a bit cheaper if you don't care so much about total freshness. There's also other crustacea (flower crabs, slipper lobsters) but today they didn't have any true lobsters of any kind, nor crabs. Sometimes they have these massive mud crabs at about 2kg+. Their claws are bigger than my hands. You'll sometimes see crayfish, but I've never seen a langoustine here.

IMG_9001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom