Preparing butternut squash with the skin on

Amateur1

Local time
1:04 AM
I'm looking at recipes for a butternut squash mash. Most say to remove the skin, but I think the skin has lots of nutrients.
What's the best way to get the skin into small pieces whilst the rest of the squash is mashed?

I'm looking at recipes for a butternut squash mash. Most say to remove the skin, but I think the skin has lots of nutrients.
What's the best way to get the skin into small pieces whilst the rest of the squash is mashed?

Pumpkin is sometimes called squash here, I mash minus skin, I roast skin on and eat the skin as well. Always have.

Russ

I think your only iron will be to puree it in a food processor if you want the skin to be finely chopped. Otherwise you'll have to finely dice your butternut squash.

rascal butternut squash is a variety of squash, also known as butternut pumpkin or gramma down under.

Butternut squash - Wikipedia

I made the recipe and it was OK. The only slight problem was the seeds. I put them in with the rest of the squash to roast for about an hour. Some of the seeds were a bit tough. What would you suggest doing with the seeds to make them less tough after roasting?

I´d have left the seeds out, no question. I think they´re edible if toasted (at least, the kernel can be eaten) but I wouldn´t want to eat them just mixed in with the rest of the squash.

It's not usual to eat the seeds tbh. You do have to shell they'll after roasting unless you collect them all and grind them into a fine powder. It's them used as a spice (seed shell and all, though I've not tried it).

The seeds and the thinner stringy stuff they are in, scoops or easily with a dessertspoon. Just dig the edge of the spoon in when the squash is cut in half and scoop them out, stringy stuff and all. If you really want to you can then collect them and bake them in the oven at the same time but you'll still need to shell them. It's only the kernel that you buy in the shops and usually of a variety with a thin shell and large kernel for easier shelling and consumption.

I saw this advice on shelling the seeds on Recipes for Using Squash Seeds.
Do you agree with it?

There are two methods for hulling squash seeds. Both ways are equally effective for getting to just the kernels for pepitas:
  • Boil squash seeds in salted water for 10 minutes. Allow them to cool and then pinch out the seed.
  • Take roasted, cooled squash seeds and pound them lightly between two sheets of wax paper. Remove the seed from each hull.

Back
Top Bottom