Preparing For Outdoor Cooking While Camping

'Fraid this was long before the Robin [or even the model before it] - now I'm feeling old ! I admit they were a bit iffy though.
Found another use for the orange skins - fill with a pancake batter and as before set in the ashes [ if they tend to burn wrap in some foil] when done add whatever you fancy [maple syrup is good !!]

No problem - basically you just cut the top off the orange - hollow it out [then eat it - good at breakfast] crack an egg or two into it then some cut up some thin ham or bacon. Refit the top of the orange [use a skewer] and set it in the hot ash to cook. If you like your like your bacon well done give it a head start by a quick 'grilling' on a stick over the fire first before you cut it up but it's up to you.
When done eat out of the orange with a fork. It's a very old idea - and there is nothing to wash up [I found it in a cookbook from the 30s but there are lots of similar ideas - ie eat a banana save the skin [only make one cut in it to get the banana out] then put a sausage inside and do the same - never tried that one though.
Breakfast In An Orange
Preparation Method:
Foil cooking
Number Served: one
Non Food Items Needed:
Foil
Long tongs
Knife
Spoon
Fork

Food Items Needed:
One orange
One piece of Canadian Bacon
Two eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Instructions:
Each person cuts of the top (leaving about a 2 inch hole) of an orange.
Keep the top- it's your lid the orange forms a "shell". Scoop out the pulp of the orange and eat. (this is your first course).
Place a piece of Bacon in the bottom of the orange.
Break both eggs and pour in on top of the bacon.
Scramble slightly with a fork and put the top back on. Wrap in foil and place on glowing coals.
Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until done. Eat out of the orange shell.

But...as I asked @sidevalve, does the egg taste of orange? He couldn't remember. Can you? Its a curious taste combo, egg and orange,
Slight taste of the orange, how much depends on whether you remove all the fruit or not.

You forgot the bacon liner!

Oh. Orange infused bacon. That could be good! I really want to try this now. But I have to face it, I'm not likely to be lighting campfires any time soon. I'm not really an outdoor type. I like a good walk, but camping is a whole other (damp and uncomfortable) ball game.

Oh. Orange infused bacon. That could be good! I really want to try this now. But I have to face it, I'm not likely to be lighting campfires any time soon. I'm not really an outdoor type. I like a good walk, but camping is a whole other (damp and uncomfortable) ball game.
Small fire, disposable barbecue?

On July 18, we have a trip to our favorite forest resort in Subic. We had rented a villa for an overnight stay and our menu for dinner is a barbecue. We are bringing along our 2 dogs together with our 2 housemaids. It will be blast since my sister and her family are coming along too. The barbecue would be chicken and pork with hotdogs and mashmallows. We are already excited at this early because that forest resort has a swimming pool.

Back
Top Bottom