Preparing for the cold.

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
5:08 AM
Most of you will think I am nuts. Remember that I live in the deep south. What is uncomfortably cold for me may be sweater weather for you.

We are having a very unusual cold spell starting tonight. At least three days below freezing. I took the goose down duvet out of the linen closet, washed the cover and put the duvet in the dryer on an air only setting. It has not been used in several years and needed to be fluffed up. We will turn on the central heat this evening for the first time this year. I want to set it at 60 F G wants to set it 65 F. We have a gas (LPG) fireplace in the den. It keeps the living spaces comfortable so no additional heat during the day. We have not used any heat at night. I like to sleep a little chilly. I have a sheet and 2 light weight micro fleece blankets on the bed. Poor George. He is on blood thinners and is much more sensitive to cold. He has been sleeping with a comforter on his side of the bed. The goose down duvet will be lighter and warmer than the comforter.

I have to keep an eye on the thermometer. As soon as the temp drops below freezing I have to spray my citrus tree with water. The water will freeze, coat the leaves, trunk and branches with ice and protect the tree. When the tree is coated in ice it will not get below 32 degrees F.

George made a run to the store today for a few last minute things I had forgotten. He also picked up a bottle of champagne and some Irish Cream. Plenty of food already cooked and more to be cooked tomorrow. Lots of gumbo and soup in the freezer. I will not be getting out except for Tuesday - eye doctor appointment.

This week our temperature has fluctuated between 8 deg C during the day and -4 deg C at night. Our central heating is set to 15.5 deg C (I think about 61deg F) for a cool background heat, but we have a log burner in our sitting room which we light during the evening. All in all, pretty much the same as you guys!

This week our temperature has fluctuated between 8 deg C during the day and -4 deg C at night. Our central heating is set to 15.5 deg C (I think about 61deg F) for a cool background heat, but we have a log burner in our sitting room which we light during the evening. All in all, pretty much the same as you guys!

Its a fluctuating temperature here too. But my central heating thermostat is set at 22 C and there it stays all year round. In the bedroom the radiator is turned off al year round. So - not much changes unless it gets too hot in summer. In which case the fan comes out and blasts over me from my bedside table.

Our average temperatures here:

Early morning: Minus 3 or 4 degrees Centig and goes up to approx. 18 degrees Centig.

The problem is that it is windy here and so the wind chill factor, makes it feel much colder than it actually is ..

Last night ( 31st ) was quite nasty actually .. But today, the 1st, is sunny sunny however, with a wintery chill in the air ..

Have a lovely 1st .. All my best, off to airport .. Flying to Italy .. ( 1 hour and 1 / 2 direct to Venice ) ..

Going to drive to Barcelona Prat airport at 13.00 ..

I totally get where you are coming from. We had the 1 short little spell a few weeks ago where it got down into low 40s at nights and low 60s during days. We had a similar day like that Saturday, but then it warmed up enough that it's nice with the windows open. I did, however, get the blanket/throw cover out for the bed in anticipation yesterday.

With the temperatures remaining one or two degrees above freezing here, we are getting rain rather than snow. We had a little snow fall last week, but it didn't settle, apart from up in the hills. At least the daylight hours are getting a little longer now - at the winter solstice, we only get seven hours of daylight in this part of the world.

Gets cold, I close the windows. Gets colder, I'll put a sweatshirt on.

The fire bought seven years ago has only ever been lit whilst it's been tested/checked every year.

I got given a hypothermia thermometer. It's not fool proof, but if it goes below 18C/65F then it's getting decidedly chilly. The best thermometer however is the mutt's ears. If they are cold, it's definitely time to put the fire on, no matter what temperature the thermometer says. It's 15C/58F in my kitchen, which is still a lot warmer than it has been of late.

I don't know the temperatures but I am in Barbados, the tropics and I am freezing at nights. Some say I am crazy but I insist I am cold. I know it would be beautiful weather for most but I am cold.

I don't know the temperatures but I am in Barbados, the tropics and I am freezing at nights. Some say I am crazy but I insist I am cold. I know it would be beautiful weather for most but I am cold.

Are you cold at night all year round? I imagine I'd be completely overheated in Barbados. Its great to see you back @winterybella.:D

It's all down to what you're used to. Where I lived on the Red Sea coast, people would put on jumpers and jackets (plus the odd scarf, even) if the temperature dipped down to 30 Celsius. I'd still be strolling around in tee-shirt, shorts and sandals. There were numerous occasions when people would come up to me and ask, "Aren't you cold?"

It's all down to what you're used to. Where I lived on the Red Sea coast, people would put on jumpers and jackets (plus the odd scarf, even) if the temperature dipped down to 30 Celsius. I'd still be strolling around in tee-shirt, shorts and sandals. There were numerous occasions when people would come up to me and ask, "Aren't you cold?"
Same thing happened when I was in Greece. It was about 35C. It rained 3 times during the time I was there and was immediately deemed as being cold even though I doubt whether the temperature had varied more than a few degrees. Unfortunately at that particular time it was inappropriate for a girl to go anywhere without a chaperone let alone wearing tee-shirt, shorts and sandals, so I just sweltered indoors.

Back
Top Bottom