Preserved foods recipies ?

Holman

Über Member
Local time
6:33 AM
I've moved to an off grid house boat run on solar power and I don't have a fridge only a coolbox , I shop for groceries once a week and at this time of year in the warm weather I'm struggling to keep food fresh towards the end of the week, I need two main meals that can be made from preserved foods , I'm not keen on tinned foods with meat in them, the meat in them is always nasty. I have two recipes I like , spaghetti with sardines and vegetable curry made with onions and courgettes, can anyone suggest more recipes with ingredients that could be kept for a week ?

:scratchhead:
Foods that are canned, cured, jarred or preserved are the only things that i can think of. You need to consider refrigeration if you plan to live on your boat.
IDK what your climate is like. Fresh veggies and fruits have a limited shelf life in hot, humid areas. Proteins need refrigeration unless you are using canned. Canned tomatoes, dry pasta or rice, canned fish (salmon and tuna) are very versatile. Add fresh veggies - onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, lemon and lime, zest and juice. Have a good assortment of dried herbs and spices.
Bottom line - you need some sort of refrigeration.
You will quickly become bored with canned and preserved food. HMMMM a beautiful steak, fresh fish, prawns, fresh veggies.
Let your mind wonder and your stomach growl for fresh food.

Back
Top Bottom