Preserving risotto

Amateur1

Local time
2:31 AM
I have this recipe for a risotto. If I want to preserve it, should it go in the fridge or freezer? I would prefer the freezer as it lasts longer, but not if the rice will no longer be nice.
What's the best way to reheat for whatever method I choose?

Mushroom and asparagus risotto recipe

Ingredients

1 tbsp oil
1 large brown onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, crushed
275g/9¾oz risotto rice
100ml/3½fl oz dry white wine
150g/5½oz asparagus spears, stalks sliced into rounds and tips reserved
about 800ml/1⅓ pint hot chicken or vegetable stock
350g/12oz mixed button and chestnut mushrooms, sliced
75g/2⅓oz Parmesan, grated
1 bunch chives, snipped
large knob of butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

Heat the oil in a wide-based shallow saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes over a high heat.

Stir in the rice to coat the grains. Pour in the wine and boil for a few minutes until nearly evaporated. Toss in the sliced asparagus stalks and add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring over the high heat, until all the stock has been absorbed, and the rice is just tender. Make sure that each spoonful of stock is absorbed before adding the next. From when the first ladle of stock is added, it should take around 20 minutes to cook.

Add the mushrooms and the asparagus tips and stir for about 3 minutes until well combined with the rice and just softened.

Remove from the heat. Add the Parmesan, chives and butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir and cover with a lid, then leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving.

Risotto lasts pretty long in the fridge when it's vacuum sealed tight. It's also pretty easy to reheat the risotto, because you can put the bag for 10 minutes in a pot of boiling water and it'll be hot, depending on the size of the portion. I can't tell you if it's good to freeze it.

I usually store leftover risotto in the fridge for max 3 days, unless I used it before to make rice croquettes.
However, when I have to reheat it, I just add a bit of water or butter/oil, low flame, lid covered.

Back
Top Bottom