Problems uploading image files

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:26 PM
Some members seem to be having problems uploading images - can you shed any light on this @SatNavSaysStraightOn ?

Copied from another thread:

@medtran49 wrote:
I have that problem if I just try to embed the picture (using upload file option) especially if I'm using my phone or tablet. I get around that by uploading my picture to my album following directions (you just have to start one here by going to your profile page), then copying the share link and posting the picture using the rectangular icon with a sun and mountains by the smiley face icon. It's something to do with security issues. It only seems to happen in the challenge or cook along main threads though.

@morning glory replied:
I've not come across this before. The challenge threads are no different at all from any other thread. They are just 'a thread' - so any issue you have is not to do with that. I'm copying this to site support to see if @SatNavSaysStraightOn can shed any light on it.

Actually, to add more to my problem, it just happens when I'm going back and editing to add a picture, not on original posts.

Last edited:
I do know that some ISPs prevent the use of the inline edit. I too get the error message when I try to go back and add a photo I've forgotten. I've just had the same ,right now.

If I was to save this now by using the post reply button , then use the edit option and finally try the more options button to get into the editing that allows me to add a picture afterwards, I would not be able to. That is a service provider issue (your internet service provider in use at that moment in time, for me right now it's the free hospital WiFi and their restrictions ). There is nothing I can easily do to get anyone including myself around that problem.

What I'll do is add another post with the error message I get and the one @medtran49 appears to be describing and if it is the one you are getting, it is not our side that is causing the problem , but a restriction placed on you by the service provider. The only way around it is to change service providers, so if you are using a free hotspot (like I am in hospital), then too change to using my phone's data signal (if it was working which sadly it is not).

OK. I take it some of it back. Some of the problems are related to the ISP but not all. I can edit this thread ,I can't do the edit of the other thread in the competitions sub forum. Weird.

Can you please tell me if it is only posts in the challenges and competitions that you run into these issues @Wandering Bob? Or anyone else for that matter .

I need specific threads and a screenshot of the exact error you get. If you can send it to me via PM ,

I can start to look into it whilst I'm in hospital and c can ask my husband to bring in my laptop for me to work on over the weekend. Editing the site is much more difficult on my tablet with the screen being much smaller in in hospital currently and have been for about 5 weeks. I expect to be in for another 2-3 weeks at least.

Some of the problem is related to the service provider. I've always gotten around it by changing over the my phone hotspot rather than the hospital hotspot. But I hadn't appreciated that it was also thread specific as well which means that historical settings from when the site was first created need to be looked at and it maybe related to that. But I'm not the original owner of the site ,so need to go digging to compare settings to see if I can find the differences between this sub-group (Site support) which I created and the competitions sub-forum which is one that has been renamed and reused. I'm guessing there is a setting that may need changing but without my laptop I can't really look into it.

I'll look into it, but if I can have a copy of the error message (screenshot, device you're on, type of internet connection (public hotspot, private home network etc ),vAndroid ,Windows, iOS and versions of known and most importantly what Web browser you are using (Windows Explorer 11, MS Edge, Opera, Firefox, Chrome,) and which thread you were in at the time ,it will help me to work out where the issues lay .

So for me , I got this error message on the Moroccan challenge thread. I'm on a Sony tablet using a public hotspot in a hospital. I'm using opera as my Web browser (ver 47 something (rest is in screenshot). I'm on android, version in screenshot).

This is the error message I get when I try to get to the more options edit page.
_20180727_072703.JPG

I'm on a Sony Xperia Z2 tablet, running Android version 6.0.1 with a patch number as defined below.
_20180727_072917.JPG

And the version of Web browser is Opera as below.
_20180727_072745.JPG

SNSSO

Private wifi (home) comcast and I get

This page isn’t working
Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards).

When I try to add photo to an existing post with a link in it. Samsung Galaxy phone, android based. Moroccan challenge thread.

This page isn’t working
Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards).

Your Web browser blocked it. Why is another issue. But I do need the exact version number, and platform you are on ,as you probably know . To the best of my knowledge there's no unusual code in the thread itself ,each one is a new thread . I can only guess at this stage that it is a settings issue itself, probably permissions related given it includes myself (though why not @morning glory I have no idea) assuming we are all doing exactly the same thing.)

I don't have time to upload screenshots of the steps I took. I need to edit them first so everyone is using the same buttons and steps and so that we are all on the same page generating this error .

Life is just getting started in the hospital and I'm busy for the next few hours . I have to attend breakfast in the dining room at a certain time else I don't get it. I then have OT watching me shower and given they are the ones who decide if I'm even allowed to go to the toilet by myself, something I was allowed before my hospital transfer , I need to do it if you get me. It's Friday ,my next chance would be Monday... And then it's straight into physio , plus I need to see a Dr about my medication timings and some of the meds are incorrect .I take time release Paracetamol and they have just tried giving me standard Paracetamol ,I politely asked for mine and was told no because the time release is a different dose. Every other nurse had allowed me to have it because they know but this one wouldn't do instead of Paracetamol ,I've just ended up having liquid morphine instead ! I want to scream.. .. So it may be this afternoon before I can take another look at the problem, sorry .

At least the weekend will be quiet and one I have the laptop ,I'll be able to dig further.

Can you please tell me if it is only posts in the challenges and competitions that you run into these issues @Wandering Bob? Or anyone else for that matter .

I need specific threads and a screenshot of the exact error you get. If you can send it to me via PM ,

I'm not sure how helpful this reply will be, but I'll have a go ...

I was trying to clipboard an image into the edit panel - the image appeared then promptly disappeared again. Following discussions with @morning glory, I then did it the right way, ie using the Upload File button - and it was fine.

I had used the clipboard route to load photos directly into recipe threads before and it worked. I just assumed that I could do the same again in edit mode - but obviously not.

I think - but I'm still not 100% sure - that my other problems with the Challenge threads may be as a result of me not saving my links/photos properly. I agreed with @morning glory this evening that henceforth I'll take close notes of everything that I do in the future in these Challenge threads, in case the steps need to be replicated to help identify a possible problem.

I certainly didn't encounter anything like the error message you experienced.

I hope that's useful information

Don't worry about this, there is a work around by putting photo in album and linking. Take care of yourself first.

Android version is 6.0.1

Chrone is 68.0.3440.70

I'll have to go back and do it again and write down exact steps.

I can only guess at this stage that it is a settings issue itself, probably permissions related given it includes myself (though why not @morning glory I have no idea) assuming we are all doing exactly the same thing.)

I haven't tried switching devices from PC to phone whist in edit mode. I am simply using MacBook Pro. I could try it tomorrow to see what happens.

I'm not sure how helpful this reply will be, but I'll have a go ...

I was trying to clipboard an image into the edit panel - the image appeared then promptly disappeared again. Following discussions with @morning glory, I then did it the right way, ie using the Upload File button - and it was fine.

I had used the clipboard route to load photos directly into recipe threads before and it worked. I just assumed that I could do the same again in edit mode - but obviously not.

I think - but I'm still not 100% sure - that my other problems with the Challenge threads may be as a result of me not saving my links/photos properly. I agreed with @morning glory this evening that henceforth I'll take close notes of everything that I do in the future in these Challenge threads, in case the steps need to be replicated to help identify a possible problem.

I certainly didn't encounter anything like the error message you experienced.

I hope that's useful information

It is helpful and I think you may be encountering another issue that I know about and one I experience a lot at home with file uploads and page refreshes. Again it is a combination of service providor and how exactly the file is uploaded .but that is best left to another thread .

I'm hoping to take the site to a new version of the xenforo software in the near future . The original owner of the site still hosts the site for us, and it is him that I need to do the upgrade because of admin level access to the server itself. But I know life is not that easy for him right now either ,plus going over to the new version is a major change and I need to learn Web coding to be able to return the site to its current looks after the upgrade . Not all of our extra features will work either and as of yet, I don't know which ones will and won't work, nor which will not be necessary anyhow .again it is a lot of learning and reading to do, but once the site is on the new version it should work better if I can iron out some of the problems we have now . I really want the site over onto the new software by the end of the year, but it relies on me not having anyhow major health scares (of which I've said very little so don't worry, most members know nothing about my recent operation but without it I wasn't going to see the year out ).

It would be useful if @medtran49 could try doing the same sequence in a non-competition or challenge thread, perhaps? I find it hard to believe that threads in a particular sub-form should be any different. But I will eat my words!

I just tried on the cracklings thread in the post where I had links. The photo uploaded fine with no error message. I went back.and deleted photo after since it wasn't appropriate for the thread.

Oh, I used edit, more options, upload file.

I just tried on the cracklings thread in the post where I had links. The photo uploaded fine with no error message. I went back.and deleted photo after since it wasn't appropriate for the thread.

Oh, I used edit, more options, upload file.

Did you change from PC to phone whilst doing this?

Original post on tablet, android 4.4.2

Edit on phone to add picture.

I just checked on tablet trying to add pic to Moroccan thread and same message about chrome.

Tried with tablet on crackling thread and it worked okay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom