Protecting iron pans

Athenagdlyt

Veteran
Local time
8:44 PM
When iron pans don't get used often, rust tends to develop on its different parts. To prevent this, I rub a thin layer of cooking oil on the iron skillet just before storing. This however makes the pan a dust magnet. I've read somewhere that rubbing the pan with wax paper also prevents it from rusting. Has anyone of you tried this yet? What other methods do you use to protect your iron pans?

When iron pans don't get used often, rust tends to develop on its different parts. To prevent this, I rub a thin layer of cooking oil on the iron skillet just before storing. This however makes the pan a dust magnet. I've read somewhere that rubbing the pan with wax paper also prevents it from rusting. Has anyone of you tried this yet? What other methods do you use to protect your iron pans?

I do the same thing with the oil as well, and this is usually with cast iron cookware. I have a ton of it, and I'm not getting rid of it either!
And yeah, it DOES become a dust magnet, especially if it is only used once in a great while!! :eek:

So after lightly oiling it, I put it in either a large paper bag, or I use one of those big plastic bags, such as the ones from Target or BB&B. This usually works in helping to keep the dust at bay!! :) :wink:

One of the places that you do not want to store it is under the kitchen sink!! To much moisture there, and it's an invitation to welcoming that pesky rust back with open arms!! :eek:

We have a cast iron frying pan here that has been around for many years. We still use this on a regular basis and it works lovely. This is the only cast iron cookware that we have at present. It is true that if left unused for a long while, rust starts to develop on the pan, especially around the rims. This usually happens if it is put down with any remnants of water left on the pan.

Years ago I had started applying a little oil on the rims and inside the pan after drying it off, before storing it. This had proved beneficial. I do not do this anymore these days since the pan is used like every other day, so the chance of rust developing on it is minimal. I am also careful not to put it down on a surface which may have water left on it.

The idea of putting the pan in a paper bag after oiling it is a good one if the pan is not going to be used too often.

They are especially good for frying things, because as you use it, you are also seasoning it so that it doesn't rust. :wink: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom