Recipe Pumpkin, Butternut Squash and 3 cheese pie

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This being National Pie week in the UK, honest, and the current ingredient challenge being pumpkin, I thought I would combine the 2 with a Pumpkin pie.

The recipe is adapted from here.
http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2010/08/cinnamon-pumpkin-squash-yam-cheddar-pot-pie/

pumpkin pie.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
For the pumpkin mixture:
1 tin (400g) canned pumpkin or 400g of chopped, fresh pumpkin (peeled)
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
125ml double cream
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper, to taste

For the squash and sweet potato mixture:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
125ml double cream
150-175g golden raisins/sultanas
2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked, and diced
2 scallions, chopped
5 large basil leaves, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
100g strong cheddar cheese, grated
100g mozzarella cheese, grated
3 ounces brie, sliced thinly
1 sheet shortcrust pastry
1 egg beaten with milk to glaze

DIRECTIONS:
For the pumpkin mixture:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix pumpkin and rosemary and roast in oven for 20 minutes. While pumpkin is roasting, heat a deep pan over medium heat and add olive oil, leek, and garlic. Saute until wilted, about 8 minutes.
  2. Next, add double cream, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
  3. Then mix in the pumpkin mixture and remove from the stove.
  4. Grease the ramekins with oil or bitter and divide the pumpkin mixture evenly into the bottom of the ramekins.

For the squash and yam mixture:
  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add onions and butternut squash saute for 6 minutes.
  2. Next the cream and raisins and cook over medium until squash is cooked thoroughly, take care not to boil the cream too much.
  3. Add the sweet potatoes, scallions, basil, salt and pepper and carefully mix. Then remove from heat and add in the cheddar, mozzarella, and brie folding in to the mixture until melted completely.
  4. Layer the butternut squash mixture over the pumpkin mixture. Cut the shortcrust pastry lid to fit over the ramekin(s), plus the edges down firmly and glaze with the beaten egg. Make a small cut in the center of the pastry to allow hot air to escape!
  5. Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 6. Place ramekins in oven and allow to cook for 25 minutes, or until cooked and hot in the center.
[/LIST]

This looks really nice. The whole process seems like it would be time consuming, but the end result should be good. Whenever I see cheese in a recipe, it catches my attention. Raisins are also another favourite ingredient of mine.

This looks really nice. The whole process seems like it would be time consuming, but the end result should be good. Whenever I see cheese in a recipe, it catches my attention. Raisins are also another favourite ingredient of mine.
I could not agree with you more. It looks good, has ingredients I love but could be a little long. I also don't understand this- for the squash and YAM mixture ?

I'm struggling with this one. Sometimes its pretty easy to guess how a recipe might taste from looking at the ingredients and the method. But this one has me beaten! Pumpkin, butternut squash, sweet potato, raisins - 4 very sweet ingredients. Then there is the double cream and three kinds of cheese. Plus cinnamon, rosemary and basil (cinnamon doesn't really go with basil IMHO). For me this sounds like a very rich mixture and I imagine it could be quite cloying. Please note, folks that I am not criticising @SatNavSaysStraightOn here as it is not her own recipe. I would try it, just to see, but I'm wary of wasting ingredients if no-one likes it ! Also I can't get pumpkin (although I suppose I could use butternut squash in both parts) which would be near enough to test it out.

I could perhaps scale the recipe down and make one little individual pie. I might just do that if I have time!

I think it would be good, although I think I would become exhausted trying to make it. However, I would eat one, if one of you ladies want to make it for me.:roflmao: I will even send a Thank You card! I love pumpkin particularily in the Fall. Well that is when it is mostly available here. Make sure that you put it on your list as the one of the more versatile vegetables.

Yep, I actually think it would work. I'm thinking of trying it this week with pumpkin puree, soya cream but probably a few less sultanas. I don't find British sweet potatoes very sweet at all tbh, neither is butternut squash. I'll have to check my pumpkin puree is not sweetened though! I'll have to use nutritional yeast instead of the cheeses but I reckon that brie would cut through some of that sweetness.

Plus I don't think 5 basil leaves will do much for flavor, tbh. I think that will be the rosemary and cinnamon.

I also have a lot of other recipes at home, including a soup I had for my evening meal tonight that used both butternut squash and sweet potato so for me they are quite frequently paired together, something ironically that I learnt from an American cookbook I purchased at least 25 years ago!

Yep, I actually think it would work. I'm thinking of trying it this week with pumpkin puree, soya cream but probably a few less sultanas. I don't find British sweet potatoes very sweet at all tbh, neither is butternut squash. I'll have to check my pumpkin puree is not sweetened though! I'll have to use nutritional yeast instead of the cheeses but I reckon that brie would cut through some of that sweetness.

Plus I don't think 5 basil leaves will do much for flavor, tbh. I think that will be the rosemary and cinnamon.

I also have a lot of other recipes at home, including a soup I had for my evening meal tonight that used both butternut squash and sweet potato so for me they are quite frequently paired together, something ironically that I learnt from an American cookbook I purchased at least 25 years ago!
Oh yes...I don't have a problem with squash and sweet potato together as long as its cut with something tangy or spicy. It was just the sheer richness of the other ingredients as well. But when I realised it was a tiny mini-pie I thought , well maybe that might be OK. I just couldn't imagine eating a big slice of this pie. Where on earth did you manage to get pumpkin puree? I've searched all over the place!

Where on earth did you manage to get pumpkin puree? I've searched all over the place!
Morrisons. We live in an area with a large ethnic community and can get all sorts from atta flour in 5 or 10kg bags, chickpea flour, pressed tamarind dates in packs ready for soaking, huge bags of rice (10kg), huge bags of spices, pumpkin puree in tins, mango purée in tins, etc.

Morrisons. We live in an area with a large ethnic community and can get all sorts from atta flour in 5 or 10kg bags, chickpea flour, pressed tamarind dates in packs ready for soaking, huge bags of rice (10kg), huge bags of spices, pumpkin puree in tins, mango purée in tins, etc.
Ok. We have Morrisons here but its out of town and doesn't deliver so I don't really shop there.

Back
Top Bottom