Recipe Pumpkin chili with black beans and garbanzo beans

Local time
2:26 PM
This should be an interesting recipe for the vegetarians on board and those who get excited just seeing the word chili. Consider it a Challenge combo as we are fresh out of talking about peppers. In this case I'd use a hot pepper instead of the chili powder truth be told.
10664029204_1ef7859904_c.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree (from the can or homemade)
  • 1 cup canned tomatoes
  • 1 cup vegetable stock or water
  • 1 can black beans (15 oz, 425 g)
  • 1/2 can garbanzo beans (7.5 oz, 212 g) or white beans
  • 1 tablespoon cumin powder (start with half the amount, and add more, to taste)
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder (start with 1 tablespoon, reduce or add more, depending on your tastes and also on how spicy your chili powder is)
  • salt and pepper
makes 4 lunch-size servings. You can (and should!) double this recipe, if you plan to serve this for dinner (larger portions) for 4-6 people!

1) In a large pot or skillet, cook chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat until soft.

2) Add pumpkin, canned tomatoes (chop them up into smaller chunks), vegetable stock (or water), black beans and garbanzo beans. Add half the cumin and half the chili powder, stir everything well, and season with salt and pepper. Taste your chili, season some more with salt and pepper if needed. Add the remaining cumin (or more) and remaining chili powder (or more), if desired. Bring to boil, make sure to stir all ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes on simmer.

3) Serve in soup bowls, garnished with chopped green onion.

http://juliasalbum.com/2013/11/pumpkin-chili-recipe/

Last edited:
My daughter makes a soup similar to this using sweet potatoes and spinach that is a colon cleanser to help with the diet. It is very good and does work as a reported to clean the colon.

This sounds delish and healthy too. I should give it a try before the weather gets too warm here again! I always associate chili as a winter dish so I need to make it sooner rather than later. I think that despite it being bean and pumpkin based rather than meat based that it would still be a hit here.

Back
Top Bottom