Pumpkin Pie Spice

cookieee

Local time
4:06 AM
Hard to believe, but it is getting to be that time of year when everything seems to be flavored with Pumpkin Pie Spices.

I have never been much of a fan of the spice blend, but I just read an article in one of my cooking mag. that lists the 5 major ingredients and how good they are for you. So now I am thinking of using it. The 5 major ingredients are Allspice, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg.

So, what do you all think of the spice blend and do you use it and if so, how?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
I don't have a problem with the spice mix - those spices in some combination figure into a lot of desserts in my house, year round.

The onslaught of "Pumpkin Spice This" and "Pumpkin Spice That" kind of wears me out. I was just at the market, and I expect to see pumpkin spice twinkies and pumpkin spice coffee, but it's taken over the cereal aisle, the candy aisle, the beer aisle, everywhere. Don't forget the pumpkin spiced SPAM I posted about earlier. Yikes!

cookieee

Local time
Over the years when I used to do all the baking and cooking, I would by pass any recipe that called for Pumpkin Pie Spice blend. Never really checking what was in it. I was of the old school and would want to put in the different spices myself. If anyone has a can/jar of Pumpkin Pie Spice, would you mind listing the ingredients?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:06 AM
I don't actually have this but found it on-line: Ingredients: CINNAMON, GINGER, NUTMEG, ALLSPICE, AND SULFITING AGENTS.
So no cloves.

We don't really get this in the UK - there isn't a tradition of pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice mix. This is an American import.

cookieee

Local time
I don't actually have this but found it on-line: Ingredients: CINNAMON, GINGER, NUTMEG, ALLSPICE, AND SULFITING AGENTS.
So no cloves.

We don't really get this in the UK - there isn't a tradition of pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice mix. This is an American import.

View attachment 32725
You beat me to it. lol Thanks for the list, that is just what I wanted to see. So, your not being bombarded with Pumpkin Pie Spice stuff in your stores or TV?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
The closest thing to pre-made pumpkin pie spice in the UK is probably mixed spice. Whenever I make recipes that are Brit in origin that use mixed spice, they usually have a note that says Americans can sub in pumpkin pie spice.

Don't forget their sibling:

Also, in responding to the first post, I was talking about those spices mixed together in a general sense. I don't own anything called "pumpkin pie spice," I just mix my own up when I need it because I already have all that stuff on hand.

cookieee

Local time
I only have 2 recipes to make your own Pumpkin Pie spice blend.

Pumpkin Pie Spices
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
(makes 1 tsp.)
Source: Sun Sentinel Feb. '05

Pumpkin Pie Spices
5 TB. ground cinnamon
4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground nutmeg